Windows 10 install Issue

Just had to do a reinstall of my OS and I downloaded the latest version to my download folder, clicked on the "ZIP" file and it started the install......."BUT" the files are nowhere to be found, not in any of the program folders either, no icon on the desktop, doesn't show in a search, what might be going on ???? Windows 10, Dell 790, I5, 8GB RAM. I'm running it on 3 other PC's with no problems at all.

Thanks

At what point does the install stop?

Is it stopping during the .Net Framework installation?

(If you have Windows 10 17.09, you should already have .Net Framework v4.7.1.)

Try to install the .NET Framework first:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56115

Then install paint.net afterwards.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

• toe_head2001 changed the title to Windows 10 install Issue

Thank you for your reply:

I should also note that I was running PAINT.NET on this very same PC with Windows 10 before the reinstall of the OS.

System says Net Framework v4.7.1 won't load because it's already there. The funny thing about this is I run PAINT.NET on 4 home computers all WINDOWS 10 OS, never a problem until now. The download goes smooth, the extraction is smooth, I get "NO" errors at all during the install process. It's just that it's not to be found anywhere after the install is complete...................a search on the drive for PAINT*.* only shows the Windows Paint Program on the drive. I'm really stumped on this issue.

Edited by Velocity
added info

Just to be sure: C:\Program Files\Paint.NET4 doesn't exist? If you take a look in your list of installed programs it doesn't listed too?

Because the searchstring paint*.* isn't really good. PaintDotnet.exe would be better ;)

Edited by IRON67

Yes, you would think it has to be somewhere if no errors were tripped.

I was thinking of maybe copying the entire PAINTDOTNET folder from one of my other computers and pasting it in to my problem PC to see what that would do...............your thoughts ???????????????

Edited by Velocity

Now since you mention it, I don't remember seeing that screen come up, but then again I'm so frustrated at this that I'm not trusting my memory. I'll run through it again today when I get home from work and post back up on results.

Thank you all for your help, please check back later today on this thread. 

32 minutes ago, Velocity said:

Yes, you would think it has to be somewhere if no errors were tripped.

I only know, that many software installations produces logs somewhere and sometimes, even without error messages you can find the errors in those logs. So it may be here too.

I was thinking of maybe copying the entire PAINTDOTNET folder from one of my other computers and pasting it in to my problem PC to see what that would do...............your thoughts ???????????????

I don't believe, that this would work. Some parts of the installation includes changes in the Windows Registry Database too and that would be a problem for your idea.

Edited by IRON67

5 minutes ago, Velocity said:

but I'm thinking that if there was no "ERROR" flash screen, there won't be an error log ??????

Not necessarly. The display of the message may faulty because of the ongoing error, but independently a log entry may be written.

Ok, got to work, had my coffee and that got my mind going.............., called the wife and told her to just for yucks run a Windows Up Date since it was a new install, the update ran, it loaded new updates, PC rebooted and she tried to do the download again..."BAM" it worked !!!!!!!! It's there, it opened, desktop shortcut.....it's all good now she said.

Obviously (Operator Error, won't find that in a log file.....lol) had something to do with the lack of Updates or uncomplete install, thank you all for your help and interest in resolving my problem, it seems stupidity on my was the sole cause !!!!!!

Thank you again.

Gary