Layers selection list highlight coloring in win7 classic theme

zeromus

OK, so I gather I will be miserable until the end of my days because toggling visibility off a layer changes the edit focus to another irrelevant layer drawn out of a hat, and there will never be an option to change this. But I'm more miserable than most people because the color of the selected layer for editing is equal to the color of the layer that my mouse is hovering over (i.e. the one I just toggled the visibility of) so that whenever I toggle off a layer, I see two layers selected. I am then suddenly uncertain what has happened and I have fewer visual clues to regain my equilibrium than everyone else.

I'm attaching a screen shot of me having just toggled layer 3 off. I don't know why the mouse cursor went weird when I took my screenshot. I'm also attaching a crude mockup of what it should ideally look like instead. I have ascertained during the 30 seconds I was willing to engage the aero theme that it functions similarly.

image.png

image.png

Looks like it's probably using the Highlight system color for both.

Yeah, I would agree, the opacity ought to be lowered for the hovering color.

This also affects the MDI thumbnails at the top of the program.

48 minutes ago, zeromus said:

But I'm more miserable than most people because the color of the selected layer for editing is equal to the color of the layer that my mouse is hovering over

Are you really going to let that make you miserable? I hope, for your well being, that was hyperbole.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Oh don't worry about me, I'm quite fine after I shout a few vile oaths at my monitor, each and every time. I actually feel quite blessed overall by paint.net, and thanks to all responsible for that.

I don't use more than 2 documents in paint.net because the ctrl+tab logic is wrong and it would just confuse me, so I never noticed that. But I could see it being a similar situation for an appreciable fraction of the dozens of users still using classic theme. The same problem does apply to the tool palettes however, but it isn't as disconcerting there just due to the usage pattern, I believe.

and there will never be an option to change this

There might actually be an option for this sometime soon. Enough folks have been gathering pitchforks for me to look into it ...

(example: 

)

• Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg