Saving a File - ACCESS DENIED

FrankW

How do I stop getting the message "Access Denied" when I try to save a file after I have cropped it but have not changed its name. I get an error message that I must change the name to save it. (see attached error message).  This only started recently. I uninstalled the program and reinstalled but I get the same message. 
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!

paintnet access denied.PNG

This happens to each file graphic file, whether .jpg or .png.

My firewall is avast. I had it before this started with the graphics file. I am using the latest version of paintnet
I am trying to save it to my hard drive, not uploading to onedrive or dropbox.

Thanks for your efforts!

Frank

Edited by FrankW

I am also getting this problem or at least something very similar, but I can be a little more specific:

I had Paint.Net classic installed then almost as soon as it was released I purchased and installed the app version from the store and began using it rather than classic (classic was still installed).

I have Controlled folder access turned on in Win 10 (Defender).

Today I cannot save to my 'My Documents' folder (or any other protected folder).

This is fairly new behaviour because I used to be able to do this (I say 'fairly new' because I haven't used Paint.NET for a few weeks).

I have now uninstalled the classic version, uninstalled the app and then reinstalled just the app but still have the same issue.

I don't know if it is connected but I have Windows set to install apps to D: but when reinstalling Paint.NET it wouldn't allow me to put it there (no reason given, just that the D: drive did not appear as an option). I installed to C: and then moved it using Apps and Features to D: where it now runs perfectly well from (Apart form the saving!).

Here is the error from Paint.NET when I try to save an existing file back to where it came from

image.png.c43ce41cbbe6160a9cb56069df23fc45.png

And here are the details:

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'D:\Users\XXXX\Pictures\XXXX\xxxx.jpg.0.pdnSave'.
File name: 'D:\Users\XXXX\Pictures\XXXX\xxxx.jpg.0.pdnSave'
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options)
   at PaintDotNet.IO.SaveTransaction..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, FileOptions options) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\IO\SaveTransaction.cs:line 265
   at PaintDotNet.Controls.DocumentWorkspace.DoSave(Boolean tryToFlatten) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Controls\DocumentWorkspace.cs:line 2915

Here is the error I get when I do a Save As on a new file, which I guess is triggered because Win10 won't allow write access to the folder.

Dialog.png.7142ebf27a0ff9aef776097cfcb53513.png

In both cases I naturally get the Win10 notification that Controlled Folder access is blocked.

I hope this is useful and that you might be able to help me.

Edited by klogg

8 hours ago, FrankW said:

How do I check this Controlled Folder access is blocked by Windows 10 Defender?

1) Press your Windows key and type "defender".  Choose "Windows Defender Security Center" from the menu.

2) Click "Virus & threat protection"

3) Click "Virus & threat protection settings"

4) Scroll down to "Controlled folder access" and turn it Off.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the slow reply.....

Yes turning off Controlled Access 'solved' the problem. I did that straight away but was hoping there was an alternative solution.

Not a big problem really, I just got a nice warm feeling inside when it was switched on (although the list of exemptions I needed to allow was growing!)

• 4 years later...
5 hours ago, panxxze said:

I have turned the feature off and I still can't save it.

@panxxze please start a new conversation - in a new thread - as this is an old. 

When you do, please tell us a bit more about what system you are using :) 

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

• Pixey locked this topic