Paint.net won't install on Windows 10

Diomedes

Hi all,

I installed paint.net awhile ago on an old computer, but have since changed

PCs and downloaded the installation package on my new computer (Windows 10, Lenovo 32bit).

Only this time, when I go to install, the program goes through the first step, then tells me

it's about to install Paint.net, then disappears without error message - or anything installed. 

Essentially, I get to right before this window, then the installer closes:

Install Type Select

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Try installing the latest version of the .NET Framework first.

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/thank-you/net48-web-installer

Let us know how it goes.

On 1/23/2018 at 3:19 AM, Diomedes said:

... my new computer (Windows 10, Lenovo 32bit)

Lenovo is selling new computers with 32bit operating systems? Shame on them.

Edited by toe_head2001

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

9 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

Lenovo is selling new computers with 32bit operating systems? Shame on them.

I suppose it is :)

I tried installing the framework, but it told me it wasn't compatible with my operating system. I'm not sure what's wrong or if there's something I've done improper. Any help?

"Blocking Issues:

The .NET Framework 4.7.1 is not supported on this operating system."

Yeah you have to make sure your Windows 10 is up-to-date as well. I'm planning to improve the OS version detection and error message in the next update.

This is no different than trying to install, for instance, the latest NVIDIA drivers. They also don't install on older versions of Windows 10. Same for Intel Ethernet drivers, etc. You will run into this A LOT if you don't update Windows 10.

https://blog.getpaint.net/2017/10/23/paint-net-4-0-20-and-net-4-7/

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Upon running winver, it only informs me that I have "Version 10.0". I've just run Windows Update about thirty minutes ago, and it says it "had a problem installing" a few of them. I clicked retry, but it's still "checking for updates"...

22 minutes ago, Diomedes said:

... it only informs me that I have "Version 10.0"

Yup, just as we suspected. You have the very first release of Windows 10. You're about 2.5 years behind on updates.

• Like 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png

46 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

Yup, just as we suspected. You have very first release of Windows 10. You're about 2.5 years behind on updates.

Ah. That explains a lot :) Windows Update has just gotten to 90%, so hopefully that will work.

Edited by Diomedes

• 4 weeks later...

I am having sort of the same problem... I tried several time to install paint.net... it got to the installing the .net framework portion... downloaded the files...then exited back to a blank paint.net install page and sat there. After a couple of attempts, I went to the Microsoft site and downloaded the .net framework myself and when I attempted to  install it, I got the same ".net framework 4.7.1 is not supported on this operating system" message. I realize you guys are not tech support for Microsoft, but can you give me a clue what's wrong? I've ran Windows Update and all updates are installed... I'm running Windows 10... anything else I need to look for? Thanks!!!

Just now, rburcky said:

Win 10 Home... Version 1511... Build 10586.1176

There's your problem; you need to upgrade.

https://blog.getpaint.net/2017/10/23/paint-net-4-0-20-and-net-4-7/

bp-sig.png

• 4 weeks later...

Heya,

did any of this actually work?

I have the same issue on Windows 10 (V. 1709) and .NET framework 4.7.1, any clues what else could cause it? I'm also running the installer as admin.

regards,

b

• toe_head2001 changed the title to Paint.net won't install on Windows 10