Drawing with a touch pad on a laptop

I've created some location plans using paint.net. For each plan, I drew a line diagram on paper, scanned it and put it into paint.net as a background layer. I added text as further layers. The  plans look good.

I now want to draw line diagrams directly into paint.net. The problem is that I'm using a samsung laptop with a touch pad. I can't get get accurate lines because the touch pad doesn't recognise a stylus, so I have to draw with a finger .

Please would forum members let me know if there is a better way of drawing with paint.net? What extra equipment would I need?

(I've considered using a Wacom tablet and pen.  I've been told I would have to draw on the tablet using the software supplied with it, and then transfer the drawing to paint.net on my laptop.  It seems a complicated system. I'd rather continue using just paint.net, rather than having to learn a different drawing program)

If there is the posibility to define a Pen-key as SHIFT-Key or to define a touchpad-area as SHIFT-key, when touched or pressed (for straight lines in a specialized angle), I think, it should work without using special Wacom Applications.

On my Standard-PC I have a graphic tablet too (Aiptek) and no problems (apart from the lack of support for the pressure sensitivity) and could draw such plans.

Edited by IRON67
  • Like 1

Thank you both for your advice.

I'd never thought of using a mouse. It might not be as precise as a pen/stylus, but since I'm mainly drawing straight and curved lines, it may not be a problem. They're cheap and I imagine a mouse will be easy to set up. I'll investigate.

I'm not sure how to define a Pen-key as SHIFT-Key.

The advice on graphic tablets is useful, I'd not heard of the brand Aiptek. The two big IT retailers here in the UK (Amazon and Pcworld) don't stock many Aiptek items. I've found one tablet

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aiptek-MediaTablet-14000U-Digitizer-Photoshop/dp/B000TGMI5A

I think it's an old model, and may have been discontinued.

But the functions it offers seems to be right for me - movement of the pen on the tablet results in a similar movement of the cursor on the pc display.

1 hour ago, keora said:

I'm not sure how to define a Pen-key as SHIFT-Key.

The advice on graphic tablets is useful, I'd not heard of the brand Aiptek.

Because I never used a touchpad on a laptop and not knowing the precise device name and so on, it was only a guess. Often the applications from the producers are able to make such settings. Also you can define custom function for modern (gaming-)mices with additional keys. So I can reload webpages, or use POS1-Key or END-Key without using the keyboard, even start other applications and so on...

Thats mine:

http://www.aiptek.de/index.php/en/products/archive/archive-graphic-tablets/mediatablet-14000u

For your purposes a mouse should be absolutely sufficient.

Edited by IRON67

I appreciate the advice. My lap top is a Samsung NP 3530EC-A0DDX, the manual isn't that useful and there's no mention of  Pen-key or Shift key.

I'm getting clearer about the extra equipment I need.

Is a gaming mouse the best type to buy, or will an ordinary mouse do?

9 minutes ago, keora said:

Is a gaming mouse the best type to buy, or will an ordinary mouse do?

Buy the mouse that feels most comfortable in your hand.  After all, you will be holding it often.

My hands are fairly small, so those gaming mice are way too big for me.  I like the standard Logitech M100 which is just the right size for me and costs about 8 bucks.

One additional note: I use my graphic tablet very, very spare. In fact I had to reinstall the driver yesterday to play around a little bit. All other things I do with my mouse. The last one passed away last week, so I have a new, Roccat KIRO, for left- and righthanders, using as lefthander with righthander-setup on the left side of my keyboard ;)

I have a shortcut to my mouse settings in my start menu to slow down the  pointer (pointer options - speed) I am addicted to my logiteck marble mouse, and anyways, slowing down the pointer gives very precise pointer movements & reseting is quick and easy. I've worn out 2 of 'em over the years. I carry one with my laptop as I can rest it on my leg, anything available, & use. 

I am curious, who else uses a Marble Mouse??

-c-

'Where's my plinth?'