Question about the drop menu called "Fill"

Chip

I know this has to have been asked before, I am pretty self sufficient at learning this type of things but I have been trying to figure out what the Fill tool (pictured) is properly used for and in all my searches for fill comes up with how to use the paint bucket. I have played with it a little but I have not had a use for it just used the way it is, by clicking one of the choices. I think I may have a use for it if I can figure out how to do it.

I am restoring a picture that has been water damaged (the hard copy) and in it is a guitar with a type of pearl flakes or metallic flakes in the paint, I was thinking if I used a percent, like the 25 percent I could do this. The only other option I know of is to match the base color of the guitar and go back over it with the pencil with the pearl color and click 1 pixel at a time until I get the desired results, 4 hrs later, lol. 

Can that be done with this tool?

If not what is it used for?

I just thought of something this second, is this tool meant to be used with layers?

Thank you - Chip

fill tool.JPG

Edited by Chip
Forgot to thank and sign

Hi @Chip

Welcome to the forum. Posting a pic always helps see what you are trying to accomplish
. Here's an example of what I think you want to do.

http://www.simscustomshop.com/metal-flake-fender-telecaster

If I am correct look for a tutorial that will give you that kind of effect or something close. The first one that comes to mind is 

This will lead you in the right direction. Your question about the drop down fill menu is used for creating patterns that can be textured in so many ways. I don't think it would help you in this matter. The tut should show you what I mean. Noise (another plugin) is I think best suited to the effect you are looking for.

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

My personal advice - because the available fill-pattern are in my eyes to much regular or homogen - is another way.

Select the area which you want to change, paste it in a new layer (at the same location) and then try add noise or grain with minimum of color saturation. Then you can choose a desired blending mode (layer options) and opacity.

Possible result (left side original, right side with grain):

grain.jpg

Edited by IRON67
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, I guess I missed the email. A picture, of course. This is the guitar, it was heavily damaged so most of the "pearl" is gone. I think I will do like Iron67 said, I don't know why I didn't think of that, I have done it before, using the eraser to erase where I don't want it. It doesn't have to be perfect, it's just a picture of me about 35 years ago, lol, it will look a lot better. I will post the original damaged photo as well. 

Thanks for the responses, I still have quite a bit of work to do on it but here it is. :) 

chipguitarsthmb.jpg

chipguitarssm1.jpg

chipguitarssm2.jpg

Edited by Chip

BTW: In my opinion the pearl effect on this image is not as important to make visible as a better color saturation und correction. Something like that:

guitar.jpg

Edited by IRON67
  • Like 2

Yeah I was going to get around to doing that but I wanted to clear it up from the damage first, so did I do it backwards? Fix the color first then touch up the rest?

Did you notice that the jean pattern is the same on both legs? That's why I don't know why in the world I didn't just do the same for the guitar, lol.

Sure, first repair the damage. I don't know the real resolution of the (scanned?) original photo now and only want to say, that such a minor detail like "pearl effect" maybe isn't so important.

Edited by IRON67
  • Like 1