Lens Distortion Correction tutorial

Don't waste your time with that plugin. It functions extremely poorly; to the point it's not practical to use. I think it was made as an experiment.

Does the Lens Distortion plugin fit your needs?

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

I did a perspective correction on a photo I took of a tall building by rotating/tilting the image. But I had to crop the photo to fit a rectangle.

I was looking for something similar to a Photoshop perspective correction. I thought this plugin would do that.
I played around with it and really didn't see it doing anything. Not to mention that it is incredibly slow.

You're probably right. I should just get rid of it.

Edited by Johnnyallen

5 minutes ago, Johnnyallen said:

FYI Forum has a 5.43MB limit on photos. I tried awhile back to post even a Jpeg photo and it was too big.

That limit is your personal quota for attachments. You can manage your attachments here:

https://forums.getpaint.net/attachments/

Most people host their image at a third-party, like Imgur or Postimage.

5 minutes ago, Johnnyallen said:

So, I used Snipping Tool to produce a smaller file size.

You realize that paint.net can make resized copies, right?

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

I downloaded Distort This by Toe_head2001 and got very good results in correcting perspective distortion caused by wide angle lenses.

It's a keeper.

I wonder if anybody thought of using Layers/Rotate-Zoom to achieve the same results. Not trying to diminish all the hard work Toe_head2001 put into developing this plugin. You done good.

Here's another photo I corrected with Distort This. you'll notice though that the building on the far left is leaning out a bit. I couldn't do anything about it and keep the tall building straight.

This plugin works very well and is easy to pick up on. I am pleased with the results.

Square.JPG

Edited by Johnnyallen

I think you overcorrected the perspective. The center building gets slightly wider as it goes up. It helps to draw a grid on an upper layer as a guide. Use some contrasting color on a transparent background for the grid. Once you readjust the distortion by moving the lower-right nub a bit left, try moving the lower-left nub a little upward. You should be able to decrease the distortion of the other buildings while keeping the center building square.

I see what you're saying, but I also thought the tall building was getting bigger. I think it's an optical illusion. I used the draw a rectangle feature of Paint to check the vertical line of the left side of the building and the two lines were parallel. 

Hmmm, interesting, or as Spock would say, "fascinating."

• Upvote 1