How to use "Optimized PNG" as the default save format

I'm perfectly fine with the current default save strategy on new documents (PDN for layered, PNG for single layer), but by the time I get to the save as PNG, I almost always want the smallest possible, so I use the OptiPNG plugin.

But, there is no way to set it as the default way to save PNG files.  The trick which allows setting JPEG as the default save format won't work, because opening a PNG file results in it being saved using the built-in PNG options.

Any ideas on how to make it work, or is is finally time to allow people to set the default save format, and just let them shoot themselves in the foot if they want to by saving in a lossy format.

Hey nabsltd - welcome to the forum :)

You can't change the default formats. Sorry.

6 minutes ago, nabsltd said:

or is is finally time to allow people to set the default save format, and just let them shoot themselves in the foot if they want to by saving in a lossy format.

Honestly, I think this could work. If changing the default format (setting dialog) brought up a significant warning which you were forced to accept - then why not allow it?

I have no idea if it would fly with Rick (paint.net developer). I'm guessing not, but it's worth asking once in a while.