welshblue

Quick Sand & Imprint #1

You @MJW are an absolute :star:

A grown man shouldn't get quite as excited as I just did when some awesome textures appeared before my eyes

10 minutes ago, MJW said:

I wasn't trying to duplicate the look of Normal Map Plus

You didn't.  It's something far better.   

Thank you! I'm not sure if it's better, but it's a bit different, which provides additional opportunities.

One advantage to using the Texture Shader is that you can put an image in the clipboard that will be mapped onto the texture. For example, making sand coloring using Clouds and Add Noise.

Better for future projects at least

The textures I just made by playing around for 10 minutes opened up a few ideas.

What I like is the realistic 'wet' look you can achieve, as well as stone/ metal

This coming weekend I'm not opening up any other programme except PDN or any other plugin except Planetoid and Texture Shader.

... I hope you've got room for a lodger when I'm kicked out :lol:

I assume since you mention "wet look," that you've been playing with the specularity. Though not necessarily appropriate for sand, I've always thought specular highlights are thing that contributes the most to shaded images looking realistic.

Yes, I just played around with your technique @MJW  and you can get really great realistic rock textures from it!

I'll be experimenting too.  :)

Not really sand ... but wet sea sand would cause Tin Worm

Thanks @MJW ... finally I think I'm understanding Texture Shader more.

I used Planetoid and @Ego Eram Reputo's Perlin Noise plugin from here https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/111330-unfinished-plugins/

tin_worm2.png

*** I'll be back on topic tomorrow and update this thread to include what i promised

Edited by welshblue
  • Like 2

That's certainly an impressively solid-looking image, welshblue! I feel like I could reach out and touch the stones. It makes me think of the bottom of the ocean.

9 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Welshy - your posted URL ^^ is not returning your image??

It was ... and is now ... or is it ?

Thanks @MJW.  I was going for metal (ish)  but I think you're right - more stone (ish)

I think I've finally grasped it.  I was looking at it all wrong.  If Planetoid is Clouds on steroids then Texture Shader is Diffuse/ Specular/ TG Angle on steroids ... and that's in no way a knock at any other plugins ... all got their very good uses in different ways.

height.png

height_el.png

*** This is on topic really, because I'm working towards using Texture Shader to do one version of embossing/ engraving the sand

• Like 1

5 hours ago, welshblue said:

I was going for metal (ish)  but I think you're right - more stone (ish

It could be metal, too. Some tricks to help something look like metal are to bump up the Specularity and use a higher Specular Concentration, and to enable Apply Surface Color to Highlight.

Your description of Texture Shade as Diffuse/ Specular/ TG Angle on steroids is quite accurate. It started out as a simple reflection-mapping plugin. I decided to add shading, and then more image-mapping modes. My eventual goal was to make it PDN's one-stop shading program.

21 hours ago, MJW said:

eventual goal was to make it PDN's one-stop shading program

I'm a convert

@lynxster4 ... I don't think you need any tutorial help ... both the lynxes look great.

@dipstick ... nice result yet again

@Seerose ... it looks good.  Although I'm not eating any shorts with sand in :P   White in the image you used could be giving that glare.

Anyways hopefully this will help.  Later than promised, a few pointers to get the raised edges to the sand

• Like 1

Thanks Welsh. That foot print in the sand does look soooo realistic, yet was all done with PDN. I also saved the sand texture (large resolution) for future projects. 

Thanks for the ideas in this tutorial.