welshblue

Quick Sand & Imprint #1

Not Quick Sand the stuff that will suck you in, but a quick way to make sand ... and not ground breaking, 

but an interesting alternative to using the built in Clouds, as playing throws up some great textures

Same technique was used in the below examples:

sand_tutorial_examples.jpg

PlugIns Needed:

NormalMap Plus

Planetoid

The Tutorial:

>> Grab the PDF <<

Spoiler

On a 800 x 600 Canvas Fill the Background Layer Black

Add a New Layer

Sand_Tutorial_1.jpg

Sand_Tutorial_2.jpg

Flatten Image - Ctrl + Shift + F

Sand_Tutorial_3.jpg

Sand_Tutorial_4.jpg

Sand_Tutorial_5.jpg

Sand_Tutorial_6.jpg

Sand_Tutorial_7.jpg

Once you're happy with the 'warmth' ... Flatten Image

Finished_Sand.png

Play with Noise/ Cloud Settings as small differences can be quite noticeable.

eg. In hindsight I could have reduced the Noise more

-------------------------------------------------------------

Add a Sand Picture

sand_imprint_finished_small.jpg

This isn't quite the same as the examples at the top of the page.
They were made as I was doodling as I kept an eye on my Football bets ... so I didn't keep track of what I was doing.

*** If your chosen image doesn't fill the whole canvas - don't worry.  
At the end before Flattening just use the Eraser Tool @ about 20% Hardness to blend the edges of the grey layers in ***

PlugIns Needed:

NormalMap Plus

Splinter

***   Engrave/Emboss @ 1 px can be used instead of NormalMap Plus ***

The Tutorial:

Spoiler

sand_imprint_1.jpg

sand_imprint_2.jpg

sand_imprint_3.jpg

sand_imprint_4.jpg

sand_imprint_5.jpg

sand_imprint_6.jpg

sand_imprint_7.jpg

sand_imprint_finished.jpg

Video Tutorial:

My first attempt at adding a video tutorial. No-one laugh out loud too loud ... it needs editing and was a first attempt

Many thanks to @ingwer for pointing me towards the software used

Edited by toe_head2001
Fixed broken Postimg images - Added PDF link
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 2

<3 @welshblue and <3 @ingwer:trophy:

Thanks to both of you. I will try it in no time. :cake: :coffee: Sand is ready. How do I do the rest? (a face or animal)

QUICKSAND161117.png

Edited by Seerose
Picture added.
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Told ya it looked like Elvis

Just for you mate ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txsvlkAKm4k :P

Nice jobs @Seerose and @Eli

SeeRose I'll put together the stages for the indentation tomorrow ... I did start - but there was one stage I couldn't remember, but a clear head moment and it came back to me

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, lynxster4 said:

Love the video @welshblue  :)

Too Kind of you to say so Lynxster' ... but version 2 will be better - pretty pleased with the music choice tho' 

I'm not going to win any Oscars for Producing. 

I'm no Harvey Weinstein.  Ohh hang on, that's not a bad thing ... (I'm going to get back in my box now :|)

@Seerose I placed the skull on the lower layer with clouds before using the noise effect. I do not think @welshblue did that for the tiger and Elvis. His examples look more natural. They look like little dunnes.

drowning.gif.220d90cae7c82d810d6f52d76e6eb248.gif  OH,GAD! Did somthin' wrong...will have to give it anot....blub blub

Seriously  you  have a good one here ( being from the famous welchblue what else could one expect?  )  bowing.gif.0509a7aedee777fd6afa9c4cba5e1c13.gif

• Like 2

@dipstick ... that's cool.  The way the text is blowing away is pretty damned awesome.  Thanks

@Scooter ... you're off your head.  Don't ever change that sense of humour.  please and Thanks.

@Seerose @Eli ... same technique done slightly differently on the 2 images.  If that makes sense ?  Not sure it will to anyone else but in my head it sort of does ...

Tiger  Elvis <<< the 2 images I used.  Football this afternoon but the plan is to get the stages down by close of play tomorrow and finish the tutorial

• Like 1

@welshblue - stunning sand tutorial you have here :star:.  I was not able to get the results from the written tutorial, but when I followed the video I noticed the steps were not the same.  So, I hope you don't mind if I post the written steps that match the video, in case someone else had a problem like moi ;)

sand_bunny.png

1.        Make Planetoid and use Alpha at zero for first 4 positions

2.       Make a new layer below above layer and make it B & W

3.       Merge the 2 layers.

4.       Then Effects – Normal Map Plus

5.       Make the layer B & W

6.       New Layer – make Clouds and set to Overlay

7.       Add Noise to Background layer

8.       Add Soften Portrait to Background layer

9.       Merge the layers

• Like 4

Thanks @Pixey  ... nice result.  Better warn the mouse that sand gets everywhere

That is strange.

The only 2 differences between the 2 is that on the video I forgot to add the black layer first, and was too lazy to slide the 4 sliders down to absolute zero.

Actually 3 differences, slightly different NormalMap Plus settings but nothing that should be really discernible on the outcome.  Weird.

I'm going to have to do my own tutorial and make any re-writes needed :P

When I first did the written tutorial it wasn't clear - to me anyway - that the layers had to be flattened between making the planetoid and then using the NormalMap Plus, so silly old me tried it on the black, first layer :D

10 minutes ago, Pixey said:

When I first did the written tutorial it wasn't clear - to me anyway - that the layers had to be flattened between making the planetoid and then using the NormalMap

That wouldn't be clear.  Because I haven't said so.  Thanks for pointing it out.

I usually write my tut's in Notepad and take my time, but this one I did straight here and I knew there was something I wanted to add in between images.  Thanks

Done.

Edited by welshblue
  • Like 1

Very nice tutorial @welshblue    :D    I so wanted to use @yellowman's 'Sand Text' to assist me in putting my image on, but sadly all pics are MIA.  :(

Did the best I could, but probably could be better.....Thank you!

quicksand_02.png

Thank you @dipstick for the pdf!  Looks much better now.  :)  (I had to modify the tut slightly...)

@welshblue ... still interested in your technique.  Looking forward to your post.  :)

quicksand_03.png

Edited by lynxster4
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I don't have the plugins that Welshblue used, so I winged it with clouds, blur and emboss.

pTh5DBQ.jpg

Edited by dipstick
change image.
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dipstick said:

I don't have the plugins that Welshblue used, so I winged it with clouds, blur and emboss

Now I really like that dip!  Great job on 'winging' it!  Your drawing in the sand looks much more realistic.  Peace to you, too!  :P

@lynxster4 ... I think the lynx blends in well, the only thing I'd say is possibly too much Noise  - but that could be my fault ;) (incidentally there's a big fuss where I live about an escaped lynx.  Poor Lilleth)

9 hours ago, dipstick said:

I don't have the plugins

Inverting the colours after running Emboss at 90 degrees pretty much gives the same results.  It turns out slightly darker but that's neither here nor there.  A duplicated layer set to screen with opacity adjusted could change that, if so required.  The only difference really is that there's slightly more 'peaks and troughs' with NMP and more control with lighting.  An alternative for Planetoid ... well obviously it's Clouds, but setting the Clouds Blend Mode to Difference and pressing Ctrl + F a couple of times adds an interesting twist as a base layer

emboss.jpg

Nice job.  I'm used to the fingers turned the other way towards me ;)

Edited by welshblue

Thanks, I had forgotten about Yellowman's Sand Text tut. I made a PDF on it a few years back if anyone wants it...

Sand Text (how to write on sand) - Text Effects.pdf.zip

Also, nothing goes with sand like a good foot print....

ymmPdp7.jpg

Edited by dipstick
added image
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, MJW said:

Not trying to push my own plugins (or maybe I am), but Texture Shader could probably be used in place of Normal Map Plus.

Push away ... and a few pointers along the way ;)

I've tried and tried over 20 attempts trying different things and whilst I get some really interesting textures using Texture Shader then running NormalMap Plus, which I want to explore further

I'm not winning just using Texture Shader.  So engrossed trying to work it out I got shouted at for screen deafness 

Edited by welshblue

3 hours ago, welshblue said:

Push away ... and a few pointers along the way

To achieve a somewhat similar look,:

After running Planetoid, convert to Black & White.

Run Texture Shader with the following settings changed from the defaults:

Texture Height Scale: 15

Intensity Increases with Height: Unchecked

Use Alpha From Texture: Unchecked

Directional Light Direction: 0, -135, 45

Directional Light Intensity: 0.9

Specularity: 0

Antialias: Checked

I wasn't trying to duplicate the look of Normal Map Plus, just do something along the same lines.

• Like 1