dds files

Hello, 

I may have posted this In the wrong place and I apologise if I have.

I am trying to open a DDS file in paint.net, but it will not open for some reason? keeps saying there was an error when trying to open this file? do I need a plugin to open these type of files. 

This was the details that came with the error 

'

System.FormatException: File does not appear to be a DDS image
   at PaintDotNet.Data.Dds.DdsFile.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\Dds\DdsFile.cs:line 469
   at PaintDotNet.Data.Dds.DdsFileType.OnLoad(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\Dds\DdsFileType.cs:line 225
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 496
   at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

2 hours ago, Nathan26011 said:

File does not appear to be a DDS image

This could be because the file is corrupt or misnamed. Try running it through the WhatsIt plugin. If that doesn't help, upload the file and we'll see if we can help.

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:14 PM, AndrewDavid said:

Hi @Nathan26011

Try this filetype plugin B)

Thank you @AndrewDavid for this link :) unfortunately, it still will not open the image. 

On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:26 PM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

This could be because the file is corrupt or misnamed. Try running it through the WhatsIt plugin. If that doesn't help, upload the file and we'll see if we can help.

@Ego Eram Reputo, I have tried the Whatsit plugin and after checking the file it is saying it is a BMP V3 but is down as a DDS file

You need to rename the file, changing the extension to BMP. Right click on the file and select Rename. Then try opening it. If it does open, use File > Save As to save it as a DDS. Note: when saving, don't type in the extension, select it from the drop down list in the Save As dialog.