System failure after update or uninstallation

About a week ago or so I was installing a game and as it was installing opened paint.net to quickly crop something. I was prompted to update the program so I went ahead and did it, my guess is that the two installations conflicted somehow and a crash occurred. The taskbar becomes just my static theme color with no programs, task manager cant start, and any attempt to restart my computer after logging in just results in a black screen with my cursor being the only thing visible. Using a restore point fixes the issue but the problem is that since this issue started i can no longer download windows updates. I had just assumed this was a windows issue and was going to take this issue to a Microsoft forum, but, after testing some things I noticed that the only other thing besides Windows updates that causes this system error to happen is attempting to uninstall, update or make any file changes with Paint.Net, updating my graphics drivers many other program installation and uninstallations do not cause this to happen. Only Paint.Net and windows updates. If there is any info I can provide for more help please let me know, I've had to put my windows updates on pause and after this whole news about the WPA2 insecurities I'd really like to update as soon as possible. 
And just to put more info out there I have already followed this threads instructions to no avail.

Let's assume your game is legitimate, and didn't install some malware.

What's stopping you from running Windows Update? Running it causes the issues with the Taskbar and the black screen, ect.?

Does Windows Update functional properly in Windows Safe Mode?

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

I doubt the game had malware it was a reputable steam game but hey you never know.

Nothing's stopping me from running the update I can do it fully and everything is fine until I restart my computer, allowing the changes to take place. Then after log in there's nothing but a black screen and my cursor. 

It does the exact same thing updating from windows mode. One thing I did forget to mention however, after running one of the diagnostics checks on windows as the issue is occurring I get an error about a SrtTrail.txt file not working. I can't recall so i'll have to do it again and try taking a picture.

Hmm, it's strange that you see a black screen (with a cursor) even in Safe Mode. Definitely something wrong with Windows itself, as third-party programs aren't run in Safe Mode startup.

Maybe the big update tomorrow (Windows 10 1709 / Fall Creator Update) will fix it.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

14 hours ago, BoatDaddy said:

I doubt the game had malware it was a reputable steam game but hey you never know.

Nothing's stopping me from running the update I can do it fully and everything is fine until I restart my computer, allowing the changes to take place. Then after log in there's nothing but a black screen and my cursor. 

It does the exact same thing updating from windows mode. One thing I did forget to mention however, after running one of the diagnostics checks on windows as the issue is occurring I get an error about a SrtTrail.txt file not working. I can't recall so i'll have to do it again and try taking a picture.

I have kind of the same issue, Windows when updating hangs at 30% every time but only on restart. I can't force a restart from the menu choices but I can  shutdown and then restart. Machine and all programs are fine otherwise.

Windows 10 Home 1703 15063.674. Was thinking bad sector but am hoping on what toe_head2001 said "Maybe the big update tomorrow (Windows 10 1710 / Fall Creator Update) will fix it."

Here is some of my file

Last successful boot time: ‎5/‎17/‎2017 10:53:35 PM (GMT)
Number of repair attempts: 1

Session details
---------------------------
System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0
Windows directory = D:\WINDOWS
AutoChk Run = 0
Number of root causes = 1

My Windows directory is C:\Windows

Swankyfrank

33 minutes ago, AndrewDavid said:

Now I'm scared - very scared :roll:

Chuckle... In my fantasy the performance updates are locked down during the free major updates. All the other updates "Virus definition, Adobe, various viewer etc. all update.

This begger is not choosey.

Swankyfrank

Edited by Swankyfrank
spelling

• 3 weeks later...

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 12:22 PM, Swankyfrank said:

Chuckle... In my fantasy the performance updates are locked down during the free major updates. All the other updates "Virus definition, Adobe, various viewer etc. all update.

This begger is not choosey.

Swankyfrank

Windows 10 Home  #1709 16299.15 found it's way onto this computer. Classic paint.net runs with no problems.