Sign in to follow this  
Rick Brewster

paint.net 4.0.19 is now available

This is a hotfix that fixes a startup crash, and fixes Explorer thumbnails.

As usual, you can download the update directly from the website, or you can use the built-in updater via Settings –> Updates –> Check Now. You can also purchase it from the Windows Store, in which case updates will become completely automatic and you’ll never have to worry about it ever again :)

This is the first time that folks will get the chance to have an update through the Windows Store (that is, to update from 4.0.18 to 4.0.19). Hopefully everything goes smoothly. I expect the Store version will be “behind” the Classic version by a day or so, pending Microsoft’s certification and server propagation.

Changes:

• Fixed missing thumbnails in Explorer for non-.PDN images (e.g. .PNG, .JPG), if Paint.NET was configured to open these types by default
  • Fixed a crash at startup that affected some people with a redirected Documents folder (e.g. network share)

Here was the announcement for 4.0.18, which had more changes.

Enjoy! :)

• Upvote 5

Thanks again Rick.

I have skipped v4.0.18. Thought I'd wait for feedback before upgrading and will do so for this one as well.

8 hours ago, IRON67 said:

Yep ... the thumbnails are back in town :P. Thanks Rick!

Great! I got a few frantic e-mails about this one, and I'm really glad I was able to find a quick, reliable fix. (thank you CLSID_PhotoThumbnailProvider!)

• Like 1

Great! paint.net became more 'fast'. The Russian version is more informative now. Thank You Rick for your efforts and your hard work for all admirers of paint.net.

1 hour ago, sunmaggot said:

wait, now paint.net becomes paid app???

No. Paint.NET is using the approach of offering paid version of application as a form of donation for development. 

2 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

In a sense, you're also paying for the automatic updates service and its added convenience

Just 5 days after the free version though ;)