Thumbnails now reverting to PDN logo in Windows Explorer

Julianis

This problem only came up recently for me, as of the latest update. Where my default program was set to Paintdotnet and the thumbnails were showing up. Now, they display the logo or icon, whichever it is. This is with new files that are either created or saved now. Reverting default to the Windows Photo Viewer changes it to the thumbnail, and then going back again to Paintdotnet keeps the thumbnail as it should be. Any solutions to this, or what?

Edit: I know that PDN is not suppose to register thumbnails, but it has been showing the thumbnails for image files until now.

Edited by Julianis

I don't completely follow ... 

So you're saying that images only show the Paint.NET logo now, instead of the thumbnail for the image. But then if you "jiggle the handle" by switching things to Photo Viewer and then back to Paint.NET, it works again? And is this for *.PDN or non-PDN images or what?

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Same here, but I just could live with it as I set pictures to be open with MS viewer by default.

vignettesbug.png

I didn't report this but it was before the first v4.0.18. I was suspecting some settings on my windows for not storing the thumbnails...

Thumbnails help a lot when you need to sort out over 30-50 gifs for animate images.

Edit: same for extension jpg

5 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

I don't completely follow ... 

So you're saying that images only show the Paint.NET logo now, instead of the thumbnail for the image. But then if you "jiggle the handle" by switching things to Photo Viewer and then back to Paint.NET, it works again? And is this for *.PDN or non-PDN images or what?

2 hours ago, MadJik said:

Same here, but I just could live with it as I set pictures to be open with MS viewer by default.

vignettesbug.png

I didn't report this but it was before the first v4.0.18. I was suspecting some settings on my windows for not storing the thumbnails...

Thumbnails help a lot when you need to sort out over 30-50 gifs for animate images.

Edit: same for extension jpg

It's like how in the images MadJik posted. One image is saved becomes the logo, then when I switch the default program to Viewer, it becomes the image it is suppose to be. But then when I switch back to PDN, it stays as if I was using Viewer. Like, my only problem is the most recent update made it so my thumbnails always go to the logo when I save now, when it was never the case before.

My only solution would be is to use Viewer as default now and then remember to open with PDN instead of double clicking.

Okay I'm hoping to get a fix out for this ASAP.

In this update I had to upgrade the thumbnail handling code to a newer version that Windows needed. It doesn't seem to be "passing through" requests for file types that it doesn't handle.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

You're both using the Classic release, right? (not from the Windows Store)

Can you install this build of 4.0.19 and tell me if thumbnails are now working for you? https://www.getpaint.net/files/zip/test/paint.net.4.19.6483.35373.install.zip 

The thumbnail code is a little tricky to debug. I'm never 100% sure that Windows is actually using my newer code. I was able to reproduce the problem, and my fix works for me, but ... I need extra validations from you all :)

The fix, assuming it's working of course, is for my thumbnail provider to delegate to the default built-in thumbnail handler (CLSID_PhotoThumbnailProvider, https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb774614(v=vs.85).aspx ) for images that it doesn't recognize (anything other than PDN files, in other words). For some reason this "chaining" behavior isn't automatic.

• Like 1

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

8 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

I need extra validations from you all :)

Hey @Rick Brewster
Never really considered it an issue as in some folders the preview image would show and in others it wouldn't. My test case was looking in "recent files" under¨"quick access". 
After installing your beta version - opening these "default Paint" icons and performing a save - the image reverted to the proper preview image.  Also after reboot they showed up too. I would consider the issue resolved for WIN10. B)

betabuild.png

Note2 - I thought the AGIFs were not associated with paint - but they are! Those thumbnail images are still not showing. The GIF that is showing was made in paint so they are OK. I bet you know the reason for this (Windows related I bet)

Edited by AndrewDavid
added Note2

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

The problem still exists after installing 4.0.18. I'm using W10 64 bit. See attached pictures from Windows Explorer.

It seems to me that the file-suffix is amended through PaintdotNet.

After removing version 4.0.17 (??) all *.jpg files appeared oké in Windows Explorer.

Knipsel.jpg presents detailed mode of Explorer and Knipse_1 are large pictograms.

HTH  

Knipsel.JPG

Knipsel_1.JPG

On 30/09/2017 at 4:49 PM, Julianis said:

I didn't report this but it was before the first v4.0.18.

I too lived with the issue @toe_head2001 but never thought of it as a paint issue - more a windows shortcoming, After reading the latest post - I looked again and here's what I see;

betabuild2.png

Edited by AndrewDavid

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

Hey Rick!

Unfortunately it is still an issue with Targa (.tga) files on Windows 10, 64 bit.  I just installed the update today and I'm having nearly the same problem as described above - all Targa images that were displayed as thumbnails in Explorer are now showing the default PDN icon.

I tried the following:

• Deleted the thumbnail cache
  • Verified that under Folder Options, "Always show icons, never thumbnails" was unchecked.
  • Uninstalled and re-installed PDN 4.0.19.
  • Tried switching the default app to another image editor and then back to PDN.
  • Rebooted after performing each step above.

Let me know if there is something I missed.  It was definitely working on Win 10 in previous versions.  Looking forward to a fix, the thumbnail feature was very handy! :)

Edited by Pyro-GX

Hmm, that is odd.  They were working just fine before the latest update, and I definitely had PDN set as the default program for opening TGA files...

Do you have a link to an older build that I can download and install for testing purposes?

Update: As a workaround, I installed SageThumbs, which restored TGA thumbnail functionality to Explorer.  I then had to reset PDN as the default program for opening TGA images, and thumbnail functionality remained intact.  As a friendly suggestion, perhaps you may want to add a warning in the installer next to the option that allows PDN to be the default program for TGA files that associating TGA filetypes with PDN may potentially break thumbnail functionality in Explorer.  Or perhaps you can add TGA thumbnail support in the next patch. :)

I don't mean to be pedantic on the issue, but the point is you modified thumbnail related code prior to this latest version, this post was created as a result of others seeing a similar issue I was having with thumbnails, and now TGA thumbnails require a workaround in order to restore previous functionality until you officially support it in PDN itself.  So I can't simply accept that "TGAs have never had thumbnail support" even if you are only speaking about PDN. ;)

Edited by Pyro-GX

I just got the latest patch and the same thing happened to me only worse.  Each picture had its own folder was very annoying spent 2 hours trying to figure it out then came here because I have paint.net as my default app.  your latest patch (above) worked fine it restored all my files so all I have to do is open one folder to see my thumbnails.  Thanks so much for fixing it so quickly.