Sign in to follow this  
welshblue

Make a Shape3D Rocket

1 minute ago, Seerose said:

OMG, What is it? B) 

Good question ... my attempt at a rocket.

Strange when I've never watched anything like Star Wars/ Star Trek etc :lol:

Thanks @Seerose ... the time and effort is just my way of giving something back.  Plus I learn things too

Looking forward to seeing what you do ... I got confused writing it, so if you get stuck, shout out

@Seerose ... I know ;)  I was joking with you :D

@MJW ... thanks mate.  Not really that complex once you get the initial settings ... that said, a few files went to the great recycle bin in the sky.

One tip I would give anyone is not to use a black background ... it can really throw the eyes when trying to marry things up/ get things straight, mainly due to the shadows drawn by s3d.  What looks right on a black background can be glaringly wrong on a light one

Some practice examples I dug out of the recycle bin

ship_excamples.jpg

Edited by welshblue
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Nice tut!

Mine is a little more Old-School....

SlIXhCP.gif

...Yes, I know the Earth is spinning backwards. The rocket is in a parallel universe where everything is opposite............ 

Edited by dipstick
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, welshblue said:

(You've got to try Planetoid if only for the dialogue when you save ...)

I've been dropping little Easter eggs into my plugins for a while now. Just for fun. You're the first to comment on them, Welshy.  You might also like the save error dialog if you can find it ;)

TileWorld has sound effects! :bell:

Really nice tut here Welshy! Thank you :star:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

I've been dropping little Easter eggs into my plugins for a while now. Just for fun. You're the first to comment on them, Welshy.  You might also like the save error dialog if you can find it ;)

Really nice tut here Welshy! Thank you :star:

I'm on a mission now to actually have a save error :lol: (Found it.  Whatever ...)

I must admit I had a good chuckle to myself when it popped up on the screen.  

Thanks mate.  The tut can give quite good results when playing with textures.

Next example is done using the flat textures in the tut', but using @MJW's Texture Shader to give a bit of life to the metal

texture_shader_rocket.png

I'll add the steps for the propulsion flame to the tut' when I've got time

Edited by welshblue
  • Like 2

@MadJik ... not sure if that's truly weird or truly wonderful ... I used to see things like that regularly ... but now I'm a clean living, tea drinker ...  

Dug and Possum Roadkill spring to mind.  Wonderfully strange

@Woodsy ... thanks mate.  S3D is like MJW's Texture stuff ... endless possibilities and my goal is to find a few more before my head explodes

---------------------------------------

Still haven't had time to do the propulsion.  Memo to self

6 minutes ago, welshblue said:

not sure if that's truly weird or truly wonderful

Yes I hate mosquitos too. And I felt some fun makin this one.

If you mind, yes the asteroid is rolling.

It's a Rolling Stone in space. :P

This is awesome-looking @welshblue !!  The detail is simply stunning!  Probably won't get to it till the weekend.   I'm a big space fan and Trekkie.

Out of reps, as usual....catch ya tomorrow!   :P

Edited by lynxster4
  • Like 1

@lynxster4 @Seerose ... if it's any use to you the link for the custom shape I used to draw the panels effecthttps://www.dropbox.com/s/x892bjngmti6p19/squares.xaml?dl=0 

Seerose ... I made the tut using a 800 x 600 canvas ... any bigger and you'll have to stretch the textures provided to fit whatever size you start with.  That's if you want to use them.

if making your own patterns for the relevant xmls ... you'll soon discover some things work and some don't.  My advice would be to use my examples as templates and add/ take things away.

I had a lot of aborted space missions writing this one.  I'd totally forgotten how S3D wraps things.  Plus almost a divorce because I lost nearly a whole Sunday

The xml's should work with whatever size canvas you want.  As long as you fill the canvas with a colour/ and or texture just load the relevant xml and it will do the work for you.

Just remember to always have the next layer below the previous one.  Reading back through it, the first coupe of stages aren't very clear ... and I wrote it :roll:

Well, that was fun!  :D    Thanks so much @welshblue!   I put my own spin on the rocket texture.

3drocket.png

I've been around the galaxy a few times!  Hahaha....:P

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

@lynxster4 ... beats my having been around the block a few times ;)

Great job ... and on the thrust.  Love the texture on the explosion (not tut related but also how you've indented your text)

Glad you enjoyed it ... and i know my xmls work ... 

• Like 1