How to Install Plugins ×

DDS FileType Plus (10-04-2023)

null54

@null54 Thank you for the continued development .. I am a bit late but have only just found out no renaming of dds files is required anymore in more recent versions of PN, and your plugin is included.

Very much appreciated :)

Upgraded DirectXTex to the October 17, 2019 release.
Add a PluginSupportInfo attribute.
Changed the 32-bit/x86 build to use the SSE2 instruction set.

File version updated to 1.9.8.0.

• Like 3

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

• 1 month later...

Hi - this might be a dumb question, but when I go to save a DDS file after editing it... the names of the different formats in the "Save Configuration" window are too long to see which is which (all start with "DdsFileTypePlus.DdsFileFormat_..." and then cut off, so I can't see the end of the format names). Is there a fix, or a list of the formats in order? 

I have Paint.net 4.2.8. Thanks for any help!!

Edited by dipmonk
more detail

9 hours ago, dipmonk said:

Hi - this might be a dumb question, but when I go to save a DDS file after editing it... the names of the different formats in the "Save Configuration" window are too long to see which is which (all start with "DdsFileTypePlus.DdsFileFormat_..." and then cut off, so I can't see the end of the format names). Is there a fix, or a list of the formats in order? 

I have Paint.net 4.2.8. Thanks for any help!!

That error is due to paint.net not finding the correct string resources.

Are you using a 3rd-party translation or one that is installed with paint.net?

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your wonderful plugin... I'm in the middle of a nightmarish system restoration and left to re-download all of my necessary programs (PdN being one of the small group which I simply cannot mod Skyrim SE without) and figuring out what's still causing them to prevent successful launch.  Because of this plugin, I was finally given an option to create my own game textures without having to pay for a program with money I simply cannot afford to give up for what's technically considered a hobby. Believe that I'm one of many grateful people out there that rely on this program... and your plugin!

• 1 month later...

Hey is it possible in anyway to get back R8G8B8 support, i need it for mod development, It is kinda useless to only Have A8R8G8B8 because you dont use an Alpha channel if its not a transparent image

6 hours ago, GrimXLive said:

Hey is it possible in anyway to get back R8G8B8 support, i need it for mod development, It is kinda useless to only Have A8R8G8B8 because you dont use an Alpha channel if its not a transparent image

I will look into adding support for R8G8B8 and X8B8G8R8 to the plugin.

• Like 1

PdnSig.png

Added support for saving the uncompressed X8B8G8R8 and R8G8B8 formats.
Fixed a visual glitch when previewing cube maps in some formats.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

PdnSig.png

11 hours ago, hexaae said:

I'm a newbie... How can I save a DDS in RGBA32?

RGBA32 is listed as R8G8B8A8 in the save dialog.

11 hours ago, hexaae said:

I see many ARGB32 options but no RGBA32...

The forum page lists the uncompressed formats using the same names as the original DDS plugin, R8G8B8A8 is the same as A8B8G8R8.

PdnSig.png

I'm having trouble opening a BC7 texture from a Fallout 4 mod, initially I was getting the whole:

System.FormatException: The file is not a supported DDS format.
   at DdsFileTypePlus.DdsNative.Load(Stream stream)
   at DdsFileTypePlus.DdsFile.Load(Stream input)
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 512
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 512
   at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

And then I read your message about changing the file to .dds2 extension for it to work but when I attempt to open the .dds2 file I get:

"The image type is not recognized, and cannot be open."

So it doesn't seem to want to work either way, is there something I'm doing wrong here? Thanks.

7 minutes ago, JoeyLock said:

And then I read your message about changing the file to .dds2 extension for it to work but when I attempt to open the .dds2 file I get:

You need to leave it with the .dds file extension.  Using .dds2 is no longer necessary, and will just cause issues.

9 minutes ago, JoeyLock said:

I'm having trouble opening a BC7 texture from a Fallout 4 mod, initially I was getting the whole:

System.FormatException: The file is not a supported DDS format.

Can you share the texture file, so it can be inspected?

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

2 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

Can you share the texture file, so it can be inspected?

Sure, these are three of the files, the Diffuse, Normal and Specular and they all seem to have the same compression and don't seem to want to open, some of the other files in the mod open fine whilst the main ones seem to have the opening issue.

Since the three textures 5.33mb each compressed I uploaded them to Google Drive if that helps.

14 hours ago, JoeyLock said:

Sure, these are three of the files, the Diffuse, Normal and Specular and they all seem to have the same compression and don't seem to want to open, some of the other files in the mod open fine whilst the main ones seem to have the opening issue.

Those files are BC7 compressed images that use a non-standard format code in the DDS header.

I updated the plugin to be able to load them.

• Like 2

PdnSig.png

27 minutes ago, null54 said:

Those files are BC7 compressed images that use a non-standard format code in the DDS header.

I updated the plugin to be able to load them.

Ah I see, I thought I might have installed something wrong before but the new updated plugin works great now as it opens them all, thank you very much!

To edit the DDS for Skyrim in 4.2.10, when I save the file, I use the settings that I myself found experimentally. I do not promise that I will indicate the names of the parameters correctly - these names have already been translated into different languages twice. I chose BC3 (DXT5). The compression mode is "normal" and I can’t switch it. Compression optimization is indicated as "estimated", I left it that way. Should I switch to "uniform"? Turned on "texture generation" and chose the "bilinear method". There is also a “cubic texture” and a “bicubic method”. I suspect this is for normal maps. I think correctly? Or is it for cubic maps? I need to know more precisely which buttons to press.

2 hours ago, Banderlog said:

The compression mode is "normal" and I can’t switch it.

The compression mode only applies to the BC6H and BC7 formats.

Compression optimization is indicated as "estimated", I left it that way. Should I switch to "uniform"?

This option controls the color weighting that the BC1, BC2 and BC3 formats use during compression.

You can switch it, and any change will be shown in the preview window.

“bicubic method”

If this is in the same list as the "bilinear method" option, it controls the method used for scaling the mipmaps.

I suspect this is for normal maps. I think correctly?

The plugin does not have any specific options for normal maps, it compresses them like any other texture.

There is also a “cubic texture”

Is this option a checkbox?

If so it is used when saving a cube/environment map.

Cube/environment maps contain 6 textures that the plugin flattens into a single larger image for editing.

When saving a cube/environment map, that option tells the plugin to extract the 6 textures from flattened image.

• Like 1

PdnSig.png

5 hours ago, null54 said:

The compression mode only applies to the BC6H and BC7 formats.

This option controls the color weighting that the BC1, BC2 and BC3 formats use during compression.

You can switch it, and any change will be shown in the preview window.

If this is in the same list as the "bilinear method" option, it controls the method used for scaling the mipmaps.

The plugin does not have any specific options for normal maps, it compresses them like any other texture.

Is this option a checkbox?

If so it is used when saving a cube/environment map.

Cube/environment maps contain 6 textures that the plugin flattens into a single larger image for editing.

When saving a cube/environment map, that option tells the plugin to extract the 6 textures from flattened image.

Thanks. The information is very helpful. Some Skyrim plugin guides say that you do not need to interfere with P.net settings when saving, but leave them default. This is because no one knows what these settings mean. If with older versions this could still be used with restrictions, then in 4.2.10 the settings are required. That is why I had a lot of problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, first of all thankyou a lot for this plugin now included by default. I have a request: could you support DDS Volume format too? Actually the plugin load them as normal DXT-3 and only the first slice is visible. The only application able to handle them seems to be the old DirectX Texture Tool (DXTex.exe) from MS SDK.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/direct3ddds/dds-file-layout-for-volume-textures

Thanks, Adolf

4 hours ago, AlphaOmega said:

...could you support DDS Volume format too?

I will not be adding volume map support to the plugin.

This plugin is designed to handle the 2D texture formats, and volume maps have enough technical differences from 2D textures that it would require major UI changes to support creating/modifying them.

4 hours ago, AlphaOmega said:

The only application able to handle them seems to be the old DirectX Texture Tool (DXTex.exe) from MS SDK.

DirectXTex has texassemble, a command-line utility that can create them from a list of images.

PdnSig.png

19 hours ago, null54 said:

DirectXTex has texassemble, a command-line utility that can create them from a list of images.

Yes, I know the use of texassemble, but is less intuitive without a GUI

19 hours ago, null54 said:

I will not be adding volume map support to the plugin.

This plugin is designed to handle the 2D texture formats, and volume maps have enough technical differences from 2D textures that it would require major UI changes to support creating/modifying them.

I'm not complaining your decision but the volume textures support is the only missing feature of this great plugin...
Just thinking, instead of major UI changes, since slices of volume textures are more or less layers of a DDS packed together, why not simple load them as layers visible in Layers Pane?

Edited by AlphaOmega

3 hours ago, AlphaOmega said:

Just thinking, instead of major UI changes, since slices of volume textures are more or less layers of a DDS packed together, why not simple load them as layers visible in Layers Pane?

The same would also apply to cube maps and texture arrays.

It may be possible to support loading those textures into layers at some point in the future, currently this would be difficult to support in a way that does not confuse users.

I already have issues with users not knowing what DDS format their file uses, much less if it is a cube or volume map.

3 hours ago, AlphaOmega said:

...but the volume textures support is the only missing feature of this great plugin...

There are plenty of other DDS features that this plugin does not support.

PdnSig.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

In the latest paint.net version (4.2.10), when saving a dds file, the formats at the end of the dropdown list are actually saved as different formats.

A1R5G5B5 gets saved as A4R4G4B4: channel masks = { r=0x00000F00, g=0x000000F0, b=0x0000000F, a=0x0000F000 }

A4R4G4B4 gets saved as R5G6B5: channel masks = {r=0x0000F800, g=0x000007E0, b=0x0000001F, a=0x00000000 }

R5G6B5 gets saved as A8R8G8B8

The various ?8R8G8B8 combinations before A4R5G5B5 seem to be properly saved, R8G8B8 is also correct, and I didn't check the BC formats.

There seems to be no way to actually save A1R5G5B5.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, marmotton said:

Hey @null54, just saw this topic, I filed a bugreport for some mixup between formats DDS are saved in: https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/116142-some-dds-formats-are-saved-as-a-different-format/

Thanks !

Fixed.

• Like 1

PdnSig.png