DDS FileType Plus (04-18-2021)

null54

I'm having trouble opening what I assume is a BC7 .dds texture from a Fallout 4 mod, for some reason all of the other textures in the mod files open except for these two 'base' textures which mentions when I try open it:

Exception:

System.FormatException: The file is not a supported DDS format.
   at DdsFileTypePlus.DdsNative.Load(Stream stream)
   at DdsFileTypePlus.DdsFile.Load(Stream input)
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 512
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 512
   at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

I uploaded the files to Google Drive if that will help. the mod author recommended I use the Intel DDS Plugin for Photoshop, so presumably its compressed in some Photoshop format, unfortunately I don't have Photoshop so I was hoping Paint.net would be able to open it instead.

3 hours ago, JoeyLock said:

I'm having trouble opening what I assume is a BC7 .dds texture from a Fallout 4 mod, for some reason all of the other textures in the mod files open except for these two 'base' textures which mentions when I try open it:

The DDS header is written incorrectly for both of those files, the compression format information is missing.

the mod author recommended I use the Intel DDS Plugin for Photoshop

That does not work, the Intel DDS plugin uses the same library to load DDS files as this plugin (DirectXTex).

Whatever tool was used to write those files is creating invalid DDS files.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

I assume that means there is no way to open or edit the headers of those two specific textures in Paint.net if they're 'invalid' DDS files?

That would appear to be the case.

I tried a few different hex editor tricks and I was not able to get the file to load.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

20 hours ago, null54 said:

That would appear to be the case.

I tried a few different hex editor tricks and I was not able to get the file to load.

Ah I see, well that's a shame I thought it might have just been another opening issue as a lot of Fallout 4 modders tend to compress their textures with that Intel Plugin but I guess this modder messed up the texture to where it only appears in game somehow. Thanks for the help anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Null54, I am new to texturing and work on mods for a game (Age of wonders3). You can't export the .dds files there, you can only screencapture the textures, save them as dds and import them back to use them. As long as there is no alpha layer involved, everything works fine. When I try to add a layer and save it, paint.net merges the layers. Is there a way to save this with an alpha layer? I don't understand all the options while saving the file. The AoW3 manual tells me to use DXT3, RGBA, 8bit alpha. Since you aswered all the questions in this thread(yes, read them all) as if dds were your native language, I thought I ask right here 😇 Thanks for the plugin anyway!

4 hours ago, Goemoe said:

Is there a way to save this with an alpha layer?

You need to use the layer transparency (alpha channel), @BoltBait's Paste Alpha plugin can be helpful with this.

• Thanks 1

PdnSig.png

• null54 changed the title to DDS FileType Plus (04-10-2021)
  • null54 changed the title to DDS FileType Plus (04-18-2021)

Release version 1.10.9.

Changes:

• Fixed a regression from version 1.10.7 when loading DDS images that exceed the Direct3D limits.

• Like 3

PdnSig.png