How to Install Plugins ×

DDS FileType Plus (10-04-2023)

null54

• 1 month later...

Hello, I have discovered an issue with the BC1 and BC7 file formats for exporting as a .dds file. The sRGB color profile options do not work correctly. When exporting as sRGB, the colors get washed out and brightened. Exporting as BC1/BC7 Linear does not have this issue. The washed out colors will not appear if the image is reloaded into paint.net after exporting, however in any other program such as Photoshop, the colors will be incorrect. I have attached images showing the issue.

The images on top are BC1 and BC7 Linear, while those on bottom are BC1 and BC7 sRGB respectively.

OSDGWmA.png

https://imgur.com/OSDGWmA

ldqNBCq.png

https://imgur.com/ldqNBCq

On 6/8/2020 at 6:20 PM, Seerose said:

❤️ @null54!

Thank you very much for your effort. :cake: :coffee:

+1

Paint.NET plus DDS FileType Plus must be the most comprehensive and bug free solution to working with DDS images in a paint package we have ever had.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hiya, i'm trying to save a file and for some reason i'm getting this (using latest version of paint.net and i even tried using latest plugin).

Is this normal as i cannot see what the types are named other than "DdsFileTypePlus.DdsFileFormat_...", as well as some other issues.

h7ntB6E.pngevkdg9.png

Edited by SgtBreadStick

That looks like a corrupt installation

Run the following command with "Run" : paintdotnet:/repair

to get to "Run", press WinKey+R, or right-click on the Start button and then click on 'Run' (towards the bottom of the menu)

• Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• null54 changed the title to DDS FileType Plus (09-21-2020)

Release version 1.10.5.

Changes:

Added support for saving the uncompressed sRGB formats.

• Upvote 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

• null54 changed the title to DDS FileType Plus (09-23-2020)
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, aenseidhe said:

Hello, would you be willing to add a selection for L8 and AL8 luminance DDS files?

DDS files do not have a pixel format named AL8, are you referring to the A8L8 format?

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

• null54 changed the title to DDS FileType Plus (10-08-2020)

Release version 1.10.7.

Changes:

• Add support for saving the L8, A8L8 and V8U8 formats.
  • Rename BC6H / BC7 Compression Mode to BC6H / BC7 Compression Speed.
  • Rename the Normal BC6H / BC7 compression speed to Medium.

PdnSig.png

Hi, first of all, thanks a lot for this wonderful software, it's very lightweight and still powerful enough to accomplish all my dds edition needs.

Now, i have an issue with the newest version of this plugin. In previous versions of PdN i could choose the compression mode for DXT1 dds format, but now i can't do it anymore. Is there a way this option can be added again?

3 hours ago, ElTlaloque said:

Now, i have an issue with the newest version of this plugin. In previous versions of PdN i could choose the compression mode for DXT1 dds format, but now i can't do it anymore.

BC1 is the same format as DXT1.

The DirectX 9 formats place the old format name at the end, in English BC1 is labeled as "BC1 (Linear, DXT1)".

PdnSig.png

On 10/13/2020 at 4:25 PM, null54 said:

BC1 is the same format as DXT1.

The DirectX 9 formats place the old format name at the end, in English BC1 is labeled as "BC1 (Linear, DXT1)".

Thanks for the replay,

Still, i'm not sure why Compression Mode option is only enabled for BC6H and BC7, when it was available for all compressed formats before this plugin was updated to support DX 11 formats. I have been working with DDS files from some time now and it was great that i could choose the compression for DXT1, specially because some of the textures had some detailed gradients and the default compression mode would mess those up very badly.

Then again, if it isn't possible to enable it again for BC1/DXT1 i'll understand.

48 minutes ago, ElTlaloque said:

Still, i'm not sure why Compression Mode option is only enabled for BC6H and BC7, when it was available for all compressed formats before this plugin was updated to support DX 11 formats.

The old plugin was not updated, it was replaced by a different plugin.

The "Compressor Type" setting in Dean Ashton's old plugin was an option specific to the Squish compression library that it used.

DirectXTex does not offer any compression speed options for BC1/DXT1.

PdnSig.png

• 3 months later...

I'm having trouble opening what I assume is a BC7 .dds texture from a Fallout 4 mod, for some reason all of the other textures in the mod files open except for these two 'base' textures which mentions when I try open it:

Exception:

System.FormatException: The file is not a supported DDS format.
   at DdsFileTypePlus.DdsNative.Load(Stream stream)
   at DdsFileTypePlus.DdsFile.Load(Stream input)
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 512
   at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 512
   at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

I uploaded the files to Google Drive if that will help. the mod author recommended I use the Intel DDS Plugin for Photoshop, so presumably its compressed in some Photoshop format, unfortunately I don't have Photoshop so I was hoping Paint.net would be able to open it instead.

3 hours ago, JoeyLock said:

I'm having trouble opening what I assume is a BC7 .dds texture from a Fallout 4 mod, for some reason all of the other textures in the mod files open except for these two 'base' textures which mentions when I try open it:

The DDS header is written incorrectly for both of those files, the compression format information is missing.

the mod author recommended I use the Intel DDS Plugin for Photoshop

That does not work, the Intel DDS plugin uses the same library to load DDS files as this plugin (DirectXTex).

Whatever tool was used to write those files is creating invalid DDS files.

PdnSig.png

I assume that means there is no way to open or edit the headers of those two specific textures in Paint.net if they're 'invalid' DDS files?

That would appear to be the case.

I tried a few different hex editor tricks and I was not able to get the file to load.

PdnSig.png