A way to create a cocktail glass

MadJik

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

A way to create a cocktail glass
with a slice of lemon for your lemonade.

Why this tutorial?

This glass was made for a competition https://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=111506

glass3_600.png 

A tie for the second place... I think that would be the first place if we could taste the beverage. ;) 

The first time I created this glass was a lot of do/undo/redo without recording each and every step.

For this tutorial, I started with my files and layers to try to describe a method to draw this glass.

This means that the result might be slightly different from the original.

As usual I recommend to work with large image. My original version was 5000x5000. It helps to get rid of orphan pixels here and there after resizing down. You will see below the image are 600x600, some are sadly pixelated.

The coordinates are corresponding to this dimension (600x600). Easiest way to use this tutorial with a large dimension should be to use 6000x6000. Theoretically just add a zero should work...

Plugins needed:

Bevel selection (BoltBait’s plugins pack)

Gradient (BoltBait's version in BoltBait’s plugins pack)

(Optional) Inner shadow selection (for the droplets)

https://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=32048

Mirror Rotate (Toli’s plugins pack)

https://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=6828

Paneling (MadJik’s plugin)

https://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=2617 

Shape3D (MKT’s plugin)

https://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=18968 

(Be sure to have the latest version if you want to use the XML files)

A. The lemon slice

Easiest part of this tutorial.

Spoiler

This image will be saved in a separate file.

You could also adapt from this tutorial https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/17295-how-to-make-a-sliced-3d-orange-with-video-tut/

Start a new image 600x600

Select all (Ctrl+A) and Delete to have an empty canvas.

lemon_slice_a01_empty.png

Select from the bottom 50% of the height (for 600 it's 300) on the full width.

Select from the bottom 7% of the height (for 600 it's 42) on the full width.

lemon_slice_a02_select.png

Choose the color green citrus or orange or yellow. I take #96C963. Press Backspace to fill the selection.

lemon_slice_a03_fill_selection.png

Add noise with color saturation to 0.

lemon_slice_a04_add_noise.png

Press M two times for "move selection" mode and reduce down about 1/4 from the top. Your selection should be 600x31 now.

Open the adjustment brightness & contrast tool and apply +40 to brightness.

lemon_slice_a05_reduce_selection_and_adj

Copy/Paste the selection to a new layer. I'm going too fast? Ok the same but slowly.

Copy the selection (Ctrl+C).

Add a new layer (Ctrl+Shift+N).

Paste (Ctrl+V).

Tip: You could save a step using Ctrl+Shift+V it pastes in a new layer.

Open again the adjustment brightness & contrast tool and apply +60 to brightness.

lemon_slice_a06_new_layer_and_adjust_bri

Press M two times for "move selection" mode and move top, left then right by 6 pixels and bottom by 1 pixel. Your selection should now be 588x24.

lemon_slice_a07_reduce_selection.png 

Press Delete. Duplicate the layer. Run Paneling plugin (distort menu) with 1/4 of the width (150).

lemon_slice_a08_duplicate_and_paneling.p

Duplicate the layer again (Ctrl+Shift+D). Repeat paneling (Ctrl+F). Repeat this step 9.

lemon_slice_a09_duplicate_and_repeat_pan 

>>> It’s time to save your work!

Flatten the image.

Run Shape3D with these settings (no XML file).

lemon_slice_a10_shape3_D_UI.png 

Final result. The center of the slice is the one-pixel line on the bottom of the previous image.

lemon_slice_a11_final.png

Instead of the cylinder you could try with the sphere in the Shape3D effect. But I don't find it better in the end.

You could add some droplets to make it juicier!

lemon_slice_a12_final_droplets.png

Using the conditional Hue/Saturation you could make it an orange slice!

lemon_slice_a13_final_orange.png

Or a yellow lemon slice...

lemon_slice_a13_final_citrus.png

Save your work as PDN files, merge the layers and save as PNG file.

B. The cocktail glass

As someone said, the glass does not matter as much as the lemonade.

Spoiler

This is what we want to achieve:

cocktail_glass_00.png

As we need to work with a lot of transparency I suggest to start with a gradient background.

Start a new image 600x600. Reset Primary/Secondary colors. Select Gradient/Radial and make a gradient from the center to a corner. Call this layer "Background".

cocktail_glass_01.png

Add a new layer. Select a color to start to draw with (not white, not black). Example #800080 (near red wine color?). Select the shapes tools, ellipse. Set the brush width to 1. Disable Antialias. This to have as less as possible polluting pixels. Draw a thin ellipse (162x144 - 440x170).

cocktail_glass_02_top_elipse.jpg 

Select the lines/curves tool. From the left of the ellipse draw an oblique line.

cocktail_glass_03_left_side.jpg

Draw a vertical straight line a bit away from last line.

cocktail_glass_04_left_side_tube.jpg

Draw a curved line to link the two previous lines.

cocktail_glass_05_left_side_curve.jpg

Select the shapes tools, ellipse again. Draw a thin ellipse (183x552 - 419x577).

cocktail_glass_06_foot.jpg

Select another color (red or blue) to make difference with previous draws. Select the lines/curves tool. From the left of the ellipse draw a curved line to the last straight line.

cocktail_glass_07_foot_curve.jpg

I want the glass to be symmetrical. Duplicate the layer, flip it and merge down should do the trick. But the ellipses aren't symmetrical. So, I first delete the right side of the glass. With the selection tool, select from the right to a bit less before the center and delete the selection.

cocktail_glass_08_cut_right.jpg

Duplicate the layer,

cocktail_glass_09_dup_layer.jpg

flip it horizontally and merge down. The glass is perfectly symmetrical. Call this layer "model".

cocktail_glass_10_full_glass.jpg

Add a new layer. Call this layer "foot1". Select primary color white. Set the brush width to 2. Enable Antialias. Draw an ellipse over the foot of the glass (same position than step 6: 183x552 - 419x577).

cocktail_glass_11_foot.jpg

Duplicate the layer. Call the top layer "foot3". Select the layer below ("foot1"). Press M to enter "Move selected pixels" mode and use the cursor keys (on the keyboard) two times down.

cocktail_glass_12_foot2.jpg

Duplicate layer "foot1". Call the new layer "foot2". Invert the colors (Ctrl+Shift+I).

Duplicate layer "foot3". Call the new layer "foot4". Invert the colors (Ctrl+Shift+I).

cocktail_glass_13_foot4.jpg

Select layer "foot4". Select the gradient tool (you could change the gradient type as you like) in transparency mode. Draw the gradient. A part of the white ellipse let see the black ellipse of layer "foot3".

cocktail_glass_14_foot4_gradient.jpg

Hide the layer "model". Repeat the operation on the other layer "foot3", "foot2" and "foot1. Undo/redo till you are happy with what should look like a foot of glass.

Merge the four "foot" layer into one and call this layer "foot".

cocktail_glass_15_foot.jpg

Show the layer "model" and hide the layer "foot". Add a new layer on top. Call this layer "body". Select the layer "model". With the magic wand tool, hold Shift and click outside the glass. Hold Alt (subtract to the selection) click again outside the glass. The selection must be the transparent pixel inside the glass. With this selection go to the layer "body".

cocktail_glass_16_select_the_body.jpg

Bevel the selection to give it the first volume.

cocktail_glass_17_bevele_the_body_UI.jpg

cocktail_glass_17_bevele_the_body.jpg

Show the layer "foot".

Some more subtle volume could be added by a white croissant to the bottom of the glass.

Add a new layer. Call this layer "croissant".

Select white as primary color. With the ellipse selection tool, make a selection 269x203 to 331x333. Press Backspace to fill the selection with white.

cocktail_glass_18_croissant.jpg

With the ellipse selection tool, make a new selection 262x194 to 358x324.

cocktail_glass_19_croissant.jpg

and press delete. It remains the white croissant.

cocktail_glass_20_croissant.jpg

Another subtle effect on the foot of the glass is to add some white and blurry shapes. Select the layer "body" and add a new layer. Call this layer "shiny foot".

The shape is made of a circle and a triangle. Do the circle first.

cocktail_glass_21_ball.jpg 

Then add the triangle on the same layer.

cocktail_glass_22_triangle.jpg 

Apply a zoom blur like this.

cocktail_glass_23_zoomblur.jpg

Press M to enter "Move selected pixels" mode and click anywhere to select all the layer. Then move, drag and resize the selection to reduce it and place it over the foot of the glass.

cocktail_glass_24_move_reduce_crop_shiny

Duplicate the layer. Flip it horizontally and merge down.

cocktail_glass_25_dup_flip_shiny.jpg

As for the foot of the glass, the top border need some shiny effect.

With the dimension and position of the top ellipse (162x144 - 436x170, some pixels lost at step 10) redo the steps 11 to 15.

Call this layer "top".

cocktail_glass_26_top_shiny.jpg

Select the layer "model".

With the magic wand tool select the top ellipse and hold Ctrl to select the body of the glass.

cocktail_glass_27_select_body_and_top.jp

Add a new layer. Call this layer "shiny body".

Select primary color white and secondary color transparent (opacity-alpha=0).

cocktail_glass_28_gradiant_body_and_top_

Draw two gradients and try to keep them on one side of the glass.

cocktail_glass_28_gradiant_body_and_top.

Select the layer "model". With the magic wand tool select the top ellipse only.

Select the layer "shiny body". Run the effect Mirror/Rotate - Vertical mirror.

cocktail_glass_29_flip_gradiant_top.jpg

Press F4 to open the properties of the layer and reduce the opacity between 100 and 160 (as you feel it).

cocktail_glass_30_reduce_opacity.jpg

You could repeat the last step on the other layers top, croissant, shiny foot and foot.

cocktail_glass_31_reduce_opacity.jpg

The glass is finished. You could make some corrections.

For my example, my foot has some too dark spots I have to reduce.

cocktail_glass_32_rework_details.jpg

Final version of the glass.

cocktail_glass_33_final.jpg

C. The cocktail recipe

Or how to fill the glass

Spoiler

Unlike the lemon slice which could be a separated file, for the beverage we of course need the glass (to fill in). But you could save the empty glass as a model and restart from it for your different recipes (remember me at what time is the party?).

What volume of drink this glass can receive?

To find the answer, select the layer "model". With the magic wand tool select outside the glass. With the rectangle selection tool, hold the Ctrl key to select the foot up till the bottom of the croissant. See the picture.

cocktail_drink_01.jpg

Revert the selection. Select the layer "model". Add a new layer. Call this layer "model drink".

cocktail_drink_02_reverse_selection.jpg

Fill the selection (Backspace) with a color. This is the volume the glass could receive.

cocktail_drink_03_fill_selection.jpg

Duplicate the layer. Call this layer "drink".

With the active selection run the effect Gradient (BoltBait's version), vertical from red to green, type HSV (short, will passing through yellow).

cocktail_drink_04_fill_gradient.jpg

Press Enter (or click on Deselect icon).

Use the layer rotate/zoom tool to reduce and move down the liquid.

cocktail_drink_05_unzoom.jpg

Hide the layer "model drink".

Use the color picker to set the primary color orange/yellow from the middle of the supposed liquid.

cocktail_drink_06_pick_color.jpg

Add a new layer. Call this layer "surface".

Select the shapes tools, ellipse. Set the draw mode to “filled”.

Draw a thin ellipse (198x196 - 401x222).

cocktail_drink_07_draw_filled_ellipse.jp

Press F4 to open the properties of the layer and reduce the opacity between 120 and 200 (as you feel it).

cocktail_drink_08_surface_transparency.j

The liquid part is finished. You could make some corrections. For my example, I make some transparent gradients over the croissant as the cut is too clean.

cocktail_drink_09_detail_finish.jpg

Add some features? Why not!

Sugar frost: Duplicate the layer "top". Call this layer "sugar frost", reset the opacity to 255.

Run the effect Crystalize with cell size to 2. Adjust Brightness/Contrast (90,77).

cocktail_drink_10_sugar_frost.jpg

Ice cube: Create a cube of ice, you could try this tutorial:

https://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=107658

(Strange, some pictures are missing...) or create something more or less looking like an ice cube.

cocktail_drink_11_ice_cube.jpg

Add a new layer on the second place from top of the list (below "shiny body"). Call this layer...?

if you said "ice cube" it's a good answer!

cocktail_drink_12_ice_cube.jpg

Copy/Paste the ice cube. It need to be resized and moved over the surface of the liquid.

It is possible to add 1-2 more ice. Be careful to not overfill the glass!

Press F4 to open the properties of the layer and set the blend mode to overlay.

cocktail_drink_13_ice_cube.jpg

On the layer "surface" use the magic wand tool to select the ellipse.

Go back on the layer "ice cube" and copy the selection.

cocktail_drink_14_select_surface.jpg

Add a new layer on the second place from top of the list (below "shiny body"). Call this layer...?

Who said "iceberg" first?

Paste the last copy (part of the ice). Press F4 to open the properties of the layer and set the blend mode to lighten and play with opacity (as you feel it).

cocktail_drink_15_iceberg.jpg

D. The return of the lemon slice!

Is that a title for a movie?

Spoiler

To correctly add the slice on the border of the glass we have to take care of what is in or out and what is back or front of the rest, etc.

Add a new layer on the second place from top of the list (below "shiny body"). Call this layer "fruit slice".  Copy/Paste the lemon slice made in the part A of this tutorial.

From your previous multilayers file you could use Ctrl+Shift+C to copy at once the image.

fruit_slice_01_paste_on_new_layer.jpg

Then move drag and resize the selection to reduce it and place the center of the slice over the left top edge of the glass.

As the image of the slice is flat (not in 3D), it is much better to put it on left or the right.

fruit_slice_02_move_reduce_slice.jpg

Hide this layer "fruit slice". And hide the layer “background”. Press Ctrl+Shift+C to copy a flattened version of what is displayed at the screen.

fruit_slice_03_copy_all_glass.jpg

Show back the layers "background" and "fruit slice". Select the layer "fruit slice". Add a new layer. Call this layer "all glass". Paste the last copy (all the glass with transparent background).

fruit_slice_04_paste_glass_on_new_layer.

On the layer "model" use the magic wand tool to select the ellipse only. With the rectangle selection tool, hold the Ctrl key to add to the selection the upper right quarter of the fruit. See the picture.

fruit_slice_05_select_quarter_of_fruit.j

Select the layer "fruit slice". Press Ctrl+C to copy the selection.

Add a new layer on the second place from top of the list (below "shiny body"). Call this layer "front of fruit".

Paste the last copy (quarter of the fruit). The sugar frost is partly hidden.

Move the layer "sugar frost" before the layer "all glass".

Move the layer "fruit slice" before the layer "foot".

Hide the layer "all glass".

See the picture as "a picture is worth a thousand words".

fruit_slice_06_paste_quarter_of_fruit.jp

To add the straw, it needs to use the method of the ice cube and the method of the fruit slice.

I let you figure out how to do that…

Of course, you could use the tutorial for the straw itself here:

https://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=111710   

fruit_slice_07_final_with_straw.jpg 

Finish the work with a background etc.

fruit_slice_08_final_with_background.jpg

Thank you for reading this long long tutorial.

Voilà, enjoy and share your results here, please!

NB: it’s a long text and English isn’t my first language. If I misspell some words or use wrong words, just make the effort to inform me about it and how to make it correct (yes I use sometime Google translator). 

edit 2017-09-02: correction on step A.2 (50% was wrong reminiscence from a test with the sphere instead the cylinder.), added spoilers.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 4

Woah! That's an impressively comprehensive tutorial MadJik! The results are fabulous. :star:

Fabulous tutorial @MadJik.  I certainly will get to doing this, but not for a couple of weeks as I have family visiting.  Thank you for making this.  It's always a revelation for me to use the Shape 3D and I learn more each time :D.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

What a tutorial @MadJik!   :star:     I'll try this as soon as I can.   Thank you for sharing!   :D

@Seerose As is th first result posted here I want to thank you (not friendly with smileys so instead this text you must read redheart x3, piece of pie x2,  cup of tea x1, etc.)

To improve your result you should read again points

- B.32 (blue text) concerning the limit between the foot of the glass and its long "leg"  and

- C.9 concerning the bottom of the glass container, you should use the transparent gradient to smooth the beverage around the croissant.

(not speaking to seerose only but to all over readers)

Following up until the end of this tutorial requires a big investment of time and patience. I did it to show some of my thoughts and tricks using paint.net and its plugins.
If you do not find this tasty (ok, it depends on the drink), then, at least, do it for practice to increase your skills.

I would like to say that this was one of the more difficult tutorials for me.  My glass stem is too thick, so just pretend I have very cheap glassware!  :P

It was very fun, though, and I am going to try it again.

cocktailglass.png

Thank you so much @MadJik!    :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I'm sorry, @MadJik ....I had to try this again.  I like my 2nd attempt much better than the first.

cocktailglass_01.png

This was very challenging.  I refused to quit!   :P

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MadJik said:

Just for the shadow. The glass and the liquid are partly transparent to produce a colored shadow. Not the slice of lemon! 

I plead......fatigue!   :P    I had been at it for hours!    Thanks for pointing it out Madjik!    :lol:

2 hours ago, welshblue said:

so I went for a mocktail with a S3D render

Excellent glass and drink Welshy....it looks so real.  Kudos!!    :)

• 2 weeks later...