saveas / export

Hi

I´m new to painting and run into a Little nuisance trying to Change a Skin for  a game object.

The template is as usual a PDS, the Output must be a dds. So I Change something in the PDS with all ist layers, hit saveas and store it as dds.

NOW: the changes in the PDS are gone because in the current document for the dds the layers are merged and the doc presents itself as dds. The PDS doc is gone.

I allways Need to save the PDS before (if I Forget bad luck..), and I Need to reopen the PDS afterwards. Both is a nuisance.

Can I operate better?

My Suggestion: Offer in saveas a check whether to leave the current doc as is, just to write a file in a different Format. Or introduce an Export menu item next to saveas doing same: leave current doc in current Format as it is, and just write a file. You may ask for automatically open the new written one as new document.

Thx

Best regards

Stefan

Hi Stefan, welcome to the forum :)

The trick here is to save the file as a DDS, then Undo the last editing step (which merged the layers). Press Ctrl and Z to Undo, then use Save As... to save the layered file as the original PDS.

I prefer using Ctrl+Shift+C to copy the merged image, followed by Ctrl+Alt+V to paste the merged image into a single-layer image that can be saved (in this case, in dds format). That way, the layered image is left associated with the original filename and format. Any updated versions can be saved into the flat image using Ctrl-V to paste, followed by saving.

thx for showing me some workarounds, i still think an export function as explained would make sense to work straight ahead

Best regards

Stefan

edit: note that undo changes format to paint format, for pds I need to select again in saveas. So a lot of unwanted actions must be executed

Edited by Stefan_l_01