Shape3d
Flip
 Drop Shadow & Object Align

Turbine .xml 1

Turbine .xml 2

Spoiler

Start with a 800 x 600 Canvas

turbine_1.jpg

No .xml for this stage as the screenshot was done before I realised there was an update.  And I'm lazy ...

turbine_2.jpg

turbine_3.jpg

turbine_4.jpg

turbine_5.jpg

I'm using a .png to insert into the image to save on screenshots and being lazy about having to explain where the exact position is ...

turbine_png_2.png

turbine_6.jpg

turbine_7.jpg

turbine_8.jpg

turbine_9.jpg

turbine_10.jpg

turbine_11.jpg

turbine_12.jpg

turbine_13.jpg

turbine_14.jpg

turbine_15.jpg

turbine_16.jpg

turbine_17.jpg

turbine_18.jpg

turbine_finished.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Experiment using different textures - I haven't yet but I'm imagining reflections/ polished steel etc

Edited by welshblue
Added PDF link
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 3

lynxster4    966

Welshy, I can't keep up with you!  You're really churning them out.  :)

My dirty jet engine needs polishing.  Also seems to be running a tad hot.

jetturbine.png

I would never think to make something like this...probly cos I'm a girl....:D

Great tut!!   

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

welshblue    473

@toe_head2001 ... I've always thought tuts were to help if someone didn't know something ... I've just learnt something.  I never even knew that feature existed before now.

Live and learn.  I'm definitely an old dog and learned a new trick.  Thanks

@lynxster4 ...Nice.  Reminds me of my car (never getting a white one again)  I don't know much about the workings of jet engines so the running hot problem ?

< sucks teeth like a mechanic ... taps a spanner against palm like a mechanic>  I don't know; but it won't be cheap ;)

Really nice interpretation.  I wouldn't be sexist and comment about girls and aeroplanes ... just think Amy Johnson/ Amelia Earhart ... oh hang on ... :/

jayj    4
2 hours ago, lynxster4 said:

Also seems to be running a tad hot.

Lean out your mix.   The polishing you'll have to do yourself.  ;)

welshblue    473
5 hours ago, jayj said:

Lean out your mix.  

Wouldn't that make it run hotter ?  I've had many a chainsaw go bang in my hand because I tuned it too lean - great for revs but not so great for longevity ... I know that's a 2T compared to a jet turbine but the principal the same ?

I reckon she's been going too fast and got a bird stuck somewhere or compressor problems.

@lynxster4 ... churning them out ?  Too much ?  

When I opened up PDN again things just clicked ... time apart was good sort of thing.  I would suggest that to my wife but she might be too quick to take me up on it :/

barbieq25    705

Thanks for the tute Welshy. I got a bit lost along the way & after 3 crashes trying to use the XML, I winged it. This image includes the torus tute which I totally love! Also as @toe_head2001pointed out, using the repeat wrap to make the background. Very happy with the outcome. 

@lynxster4very nice outcome! Does look a tad hot which could explain why the cowl is sooted up :D 

HinxzI.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Seerose    1,964

<3 Hello Paint Family!

When I try to load xml file to paint.net crashes.
What should I do to avoid that?

I tried to add error message at, it does not work.

paintuser.png

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by Seerose

welshblue    473

@barbieq25 and @Seerose ... if you check out the Shape3D thread there's an update to the plugin that solves the crash with .xml files.

Nice improv' and result BarbieQ'.  It's great to see how people's minds work to put different spins on things.

The following image is basically the tut' with Texture Shader for the ummm texture and Kaleidoscope to place the 'nuts' evenly

turbine_tut_example_2.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Eli    793

This is my try. All I need now is a plane. :)

turbine-52d8023.png

Edited by Eli
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

jayj    4
2 hours ago, Eli said:

This is my try. All I need now is a plane. :)

turbine-52d8023.png

This one is making my brain tell my eyes it is spinning...very slowly, but spinning.  Nice optical illusion.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

welshblue    473

@Eli ... Why am I thinking Penelope Pitstop ...

I'm not a lover of pink usually but in this instance it really works with the yellow and blue . Really nice image and yep it does seem to be moving slowly

Eli    793
5 minutes ago, welshblue said:

Why am I thinking Penelope Pitstop ...

I'm not a lover of pink usually but in this instance it really works with the yellow and blue . Really nice image and yep it does seem to be moving slowly

Must be the golden hair. I used Red' Ochre's TGMagnitud effect to obtain the the golden color.

barbieq25    705
6 hours ago, welshblue said:

@barbieq25 and @Seerose ... if you check out the Shape3D thread there's an update to the plugin that solves the crash with .xml files.

Ok, I thought I had done this BUT it went to the OTHER effects folder that I have for plugins that only occasionally get used. I will try again :D

Thank you again @welshblue Your second one is amazing & a perfect background for it. You have a knack for completing an image perfectly. 

@EliOMG! Wonderful! The colours are adorable. Well done.

MadJik    244

@welshblue As usual when I try a tutorial I can't help but go beyond and do otherwise ...

Spoiler

motor_of_plane_600.jpg

Edit: yes we miss a tuto for the other parts of the plane.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

welshblue    473
On 12/08/2017 at 10:28 AM, MadJik said:

@welshblue As usual when I try a tutorial I can't help but go beyond and do otherwise ...

Edit: yes we miss a tuto for the other parts of the plane.

@MadJik ... nothing wrong with going beyond ... tuts are only a small walkthrough in my opinion ... the real ahem magic happens when users go beyond and do what's in their heads .  Nice result

A tut' for the rest of the 'plane ... phhhh ... I hope that's not a challenge because I can never resist one of them ...

@barbieq25 ... many thanks.  Rightly or wrongly I always think the background is just as important as the 'mainshow'.  When I'm designing t-shirts I'm sure I put more man hours into the background than I do into anything else

Playing around when I should have been cutting the grass

aeroplane_2.png

... needs a lot of work on lighting and shading

Edited by welshblue
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Pixey    2,021

Eyeeeee - as soon as I started to make this tutorial the blades began to move every time I shifted my eyes :grin:.

Great tutorial and fun to make.

Turbine_Engine.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

welshblue    473

@Seerose ... Very nice.  If it wasn't too far into the future it could be ready made for Manfred von Richthofen aka the Red Baron ;)

@Woodsy ... Thanks very muchly.  I've tried to do the trails and it's just not working for me.  Total brain block on it.  Any ideas gratefully received

@Pixey ... Very nice take on it ... Fly Air Pixey ... looking at it, your 'swirl' is more fitting than the one I put in the tut.  I'll just call mine artistic licence :D

Edited by welshblue