Blurring the hard edge of a digital photograph in Paint.net

loggie

First off, hello to everyone. You people sure know your stuff. I am at my wit's end. I am trying to blurr the edges of a photograph and I am using Paint.net to try to do this. I am definiately not knowledgeable on the computor. I am making my daughter's wedding invitation and I am trying to come up with a picture of them that is suitable. I would like to make the picture into a black and white which I have done already, but blurring the edges is quite a different thing. I have really been trying to find out how to do this, but I'm really having trouble. I have been to forum after forum, tutorial after tutorial. I do know that it has something to do with layers, masking, gradients, transparency mode, or feathering...keywords i guess but can't seem to make any sense, I would be very grateful for any help, if I am in the wrong place to ask this question, I'm sorry. Maybe someone could kindly direct me in another direction. Peace and Happiness to you, best regards....Loggie (I would also really like to know how to make a monogram, as well...much later)

Well, it's not nearly as difficult as it sounds. Don't worry. :-)

If you want the edges blurred but the image still square, try this tutorial: viewtopic.php?t=2298

If you want the image to be cropped into an oval with faded edges, use the "vignette" feature of this plugin pack:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=23885

Hope this helps! Let me know if it doesn't.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Hi David, Thanks so much I think I downloaded both plugins, if I'm not mistaken you save them to the effects folder? I can see in Paint.net where the first plugin in is, but I can't see where the "vignette" plugin in is. I think I will go that route, the blurred oval. Can you tell me where to find it? Thanks