[REQUEST] Frost glass effect

KingNXT

Anyone know the Microsoft Neon style? They use the Glass effect, in windows 10 start menu and in some other apps. I would like that effect but not so dark.

EDIT:

Here is an example of the effect: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9NO5x0fuXc_OUs2dDRod185bzA/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9NO5x0fuXc_X01VZS1wVTJvSmM/view?usp=sharing

Edited by KingNXT

Neon (officially known as 'Fluent Design System') is a whole new set of Human Interface Guidelines for Microsoft's platforms.

I think you're just looking for Gaussian Blur.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Simply lowering the opacity of the layer from the Layer Properties can produce a glass-like effect on any solid or opaque layer. Also experiment with blending modes.

All Microsoft is doing is introducing use of layers to the desktop screen. It will become more evident in Win 11. For now it can be best seen when opening Groove Music in Win10. One of the first apps that have modified their source code to take advantage of this new format;

On 5/19/2017 at 1:25 PM, toe_head2001 said:

Fluent Design System

My own rendition

Edited by AndrewDavid
Removed upload

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

1 hour ago, IRON67 said:

In my opinion that doesn't look like frosted glass.

In my opinion you should have blurred the bottom part of the photo. :) :D

38 minutes ago, Eli said:

Maybe this is what you want :

ax-effect-524c2d9.png

Well we already solved the problem. open up win10 groove app and see it yourself or maybe i put up a picture with the sniping tool

I really don't know why this question hasn't been answered yet, so I'm going to go ahead and answer it.
Get these two plugins: Clamped Gaussian BlurChannel Operations

Step 1: Get two layers ready. The top one will be made transparent and the bottom will be blurred.

Example2.png.daee2af77c0f001a8dc6ac8d096b3573.png

Step 2: Select the top (glassy) layer and apply Channel Ops to set alpha to 210 (or subtract 45).

Example3.png.f7295049d65756c8a54aae0f789a4db8.png

Step 3: Select the bottom (blurry) layer and apply clamped Gaussian blur at 16 radius.

Example4.png.b917816aa0f3ee125b4e800f430c0331.png

Done. Comparison of the actual Aero blur and simulated Aero blur. (Some artifacts due to a sloppy job, but point proven.)

Example5.png.bc54f6c6037ab7607aa724bcd0378306.png

So again, I'm not sure why nobody could tell you to increase transparency on one layer and blur the other :)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Joshua Lamusga said:

I really don't know why this question hasn't been answered yet, so I'm going to go ahead and answer it.
Get these two plugins: Clamped Gaussian BlurChannel Operations

Step 1: Get two layers ready. The top one will be made transparent and the bottom will be blurred.

Step 2: Select the top (glassy) layer and apply Channel Ops to set alpha to 210 (or subtract 45).

Step 3: Select the bottom (blurry) layer and apply clamped Gaussian blur at 16 radius.

Done. Comparison of the actual Aero blur and simulated Aero blur. (Some artifacts due to a sloppy job, but point proven.)

Example5.png.bc54f6c6037ab7607aa724bcd0378306.png

So again, I'm not sure why nobody could tell you to increase transparency on one layer and blur the other :)

Well this was not the actual effect we were looking for: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9NO5x0fuXc_OUs2dDRod185bzA/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9NO5x0fuXc_X01VZS1wVTJvSmM/view?usp=sharing

It should have the gradiant effect.

1 minute ago, Eli said:

I do not see the  gradient, just a blurred background.

well gradiant was the wrong word i ment crispy/pixelation

There are many different external Plugins and PDN internal effects for NOISE-, PIXELATE- and BLUR-effects. Just pickup some of them and try out.

47 minutes ago, IRON67 said:

There are many different external Plugins and PDN internal effects for NOISE-, PIXELATE- and BLUR-effects. Just pickup some of them and try out.

Can you link some? Cant find.

You'll find all the plugins listed in the Plugin Index (link in my signature). Download the PDF and search using those ^^ keywords.