NinthDesertDude's Gallery

On 28/12/2017 at 6:13 PM, Joshua Lamusga said:

It's an exploding golem because why not.

Because you need to destroy them before they can be resurrected http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0649.html

Yes! You're spot on. I've bought (most of) the printed books too.

• 2 weeks later...

An adventurer carrying miscellaneous gear explores a cave. Created in 8 hours on 1-16-2018. I created stalactites first to define the perspective, then torch for lighting, marking where light would shine on the floor and ceiling. It could be better for a number of reasons, but it's not terrible.

I could be drawing this every time if I could only grasp the unwieldy powers of high contrast as I draw rather than trying to adjust afterwards.

These stalactites, since I actually drew them like stalactites, look great under high contrast.

Edited by NinthDesertDude
  • Like 4

On 1/17/2018 at 9:14 AM, Pixey said:

That cave looks real scary to me

A more realistic rendition would look very pretty. Light would still shine through the formations, despite being colored with dirt.

Off-topic: ...and if you think caves are scary in general, try Timpanogos cave or the Jewel cavern system in South Dakota. So many calcite-aragonite formations. Here's an image of Timpanogos, where a tour guide illuminates the "heart of Timpanogos" with a flashlight. The calcite looks pink-red due to manganese inclusions.

• Like 2

Great stalactites @Joshua Lamusga  :lightning:    I used to go spelunking a lot...not so much anymore...can't climb and crawl around like I used to...:lol:

• 9 months later...

I've drawn many fireballs, but never kept or uploaded them. This is supposed to be a magical fireball (as indicated by purple/blue hues). Thought it looked cool. Added a quick background and called it a day. Done in 1 hour on 11/10/2018.

Inspired by the fireball, I decided to make a lightning ball. Done in 6 hours from 11-10 to 11-11 in 2018.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback! I have enough illustrations & sprite art right now. I don't have anything like ice text, chromatic metal textures, or profiled highlights because I haven't gotten on the bevel & bump/alpha mapping train yet. A good, realistic-looking knife might be my next goal.

Hey @welshblue, if you could provide a list of maybe 6 or less essential plugins you use, that would help me get started.

This is my current level of realism with bevels on the handle and knife edge.

Obviously not a photo. Blade texture can be improved.

• Like 4

@Joshua Lamusga  Great start on the knife!  Some strategically placed shadowing would help; a little more 'rounding' on the handle?  :)

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

A drawing of quartz with goethite inclusions from March 2018, just using my imagination here. I wasn't sure about the matrix for the goethite, so I made some dark, uncertain and metal-heavy matrix. The edges of the quartz may look weird, especially the hanging face at the top-right. The quartz face is supposed to be incompletely grown there. This was an interesting one to do because I had to mimic the index of refraction, which I did at the seams where the faces meet (it's intentional). I think it's interesting anyway.

I haven't been active for some time except for a ghostly vote here or there; I was busy on other things.
So here's a 5-minute tree from June 2019 in a cartoon style I haven't done yet. Forgive me :)

• Like 5

Nice work on the quartz @Joshua Lamusga.  :rainbow:  The opacity is just about perfect!

Nice job on the quartz 'faces' merging into the point.  Your 5-minute tree looks good, too!  :)