Toggle Setting: Changing Visible Layer Also Selects It

Ketenks

I'm new to this but the one thing that bothers me more than anything is that changing the visibility of a layer does not select that layer as the active layer. When you make a layer no longer visible it certainly deselects that layer. Why should making a layer visible not select it?

I'm sure there are many veteran users who are accustomed to this setting but if this could be set as a setting that could be toggled then anyone could have it to where their mind is not constantly paranoid about whether they are in the right layer.

Thanks

ketenksEsignatureSmall2.png.f74cf40145e3a072030b070615ef1b93.png

I don't think having a Settings tab next to Effects would hurt this program at all, or complicate it unnecessarily. If it just opened a box with all the global settings for the program then you could easily implement the above said feature and also features like what ReMake posted about here in setting the extra pixels from the increased canvas size as something different than the secondary color.

2 hours ago, Ketenks said:

I'm new to this but the one thing that bothers me more than anything is that changing the visibility of a layer does not select that layer as the active layer. When you make a layer no longer visible it certainly deselects that layer. Why should making a layer visible not select it?

I and quite a few others are of the opposite opinion: Making a layer visible shouldn't make it the active layer, and making it invisible shouldn't make it inactive. They should be independent. I often make a layer visible to see how it combines with the layer I'm working on, with no intention of changing it.

Right. I addressed this:

1 hour ago, Ketenks said:

I'm sure there are many veteran users who are accustomed to this setting

Which is why I think it should be a toggled setting.

The problem with a setting such as this is that it makes paint.net act differently for different users. Naturally this makes it more difficult for us to diagnose problems - because the users paint.net is working differently to ours.

I doubt Rick (paint.net developer) will implement such a setting (BTW there is a setting dialog - click the gear icon :Settings: in the top right corner)

Ha! Thanks. That little guy up there. I couldn't find it.

But yeah, I can see where you're coming from but I am expressly frustrated with constantly editing layers that I don't intend to edit. I've mysteriously lost graphics that I've now started versioning. I might just be a "paint.net lefty" if you will but it really messes with my mind. As a new user that can be important information.

Yeah I appreciate that. Do persist, you'll get used to it :smile: