Sign in to follow this  
blackbloc

Turning a Photograph into Line Art

Hey guys,

I've posted on here before but can't remember my info.  I love paint.net and have been using it for quite some time.  

I have a question about trying to make lineart from a photo.  I have a few photographs that I want to turn into lineart.  I've messed around with a few of the artistic effects and can't figure this out.  I've searched on google quite a bit and it seems like this might be something suited for a program like illustrator, but I figured I would ask here first.  I am trying to make an actual photograph look like this:

line01.jpg

Well, you can try things like Stylize>Outline, Artistic>Ink Sketch, or Artistic>Pencil Sketch, but they probably won't produce satisfactory results. It's a difficult problem. People incorporate into drawings not just what they see, but also their knowledge of the objects. A sharp change in brightness can be an edge or it can be a cast shadow. A person knows which it is and draws them differently; the computer program usually has no way of knowing. I've read a number of papers on the subject, which use neural networks and things like that, and most of their results are nothing to write home about.

EDIT: Revised it a bit.

"Ink Sketch" followed by multiple instances of "Screen" blending modes.

Rn7QH2j.gif

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, blackbloc said:

I've posted on here before but can't remember my info.  I love paint.net and have been using it for quite some time.

You are @xxanxx, right?

That's me.  I was going to post this in the same thread but can't remember my login info.  

I've tried using the artistic effects without much success.  We are trying to turn a photo into line art that can be printed on a box.  I attached the original photo and one of my first attempts at it.

buckshot-bigshot-treestand.jpg

buckshot-bigshot-treestand.jpg

• Upvote 1

I think you've done pretty well, ^^ that looks quite good.

Did you try running Effects > Noise > Reduce noise over it? I'm figuring that will clean up the image a little more. Effects > Noise > Median can also be used for this sort of cleanup (at very low settings).

P.S. whatever you call those things - I want one ;)