Sign in to follow this  
SuperSensual

Paint.net problem?

Recommended Posts

I do not know if it was a update or something that i did... There are some kind a downgrade appearing in my PNG files

 

example:

 

bImhtAS.png

 

y5Zfv38.png

 

Can you see the difference in quality? There are some dots appearing and I do not know why =/ This started a few days ago

 

this ''downgrade'' only affects the PNG files

 

Does anyone have any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @SS and welcome to the forum :).

 

I'm afraid I cannot see any difference.  I even blew up the area inside the red box and still couldn't see any dots :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Pixey said:

Hi @SS and welcome to the forum :).

 

Thanks ^.^

 

18 hours ago, IRON67 said:

I can't see any "downgrade" neither knowing what you mean. Please be so kind and explain it in detail.

 

16 hours ago, Eli said:

I superposed the images using the xor layer mode and saw no differences either.

 

2 minutes ago, LionsDragon said:

I'm afraid I can't see it either. :(

 

 

 

=/ look closely please the shadow on her cheek

 

2016 = Clean and smooth image

 

2017 = Some kind a blur with little dots

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now I can see it. The only reasons I can imagine are, that you have mistakenly once saved the image with other options or in other format and later saved again as PNG, so the dithering was retained - maybe by an other application as PDN or you have saved in an online cloud service that reduces the quality by default.

Edited by IRON67

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

V5elDQt.png

 

No idea how or why that happened I'm afraid.

Hopefully the above image will make diagnosing the problem easier for those of us with older eyes.;)

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Red ochre said:

No idea how or why that happened I'm afraid.

Hopefully the above image will make diagnosing the problem easier for those of us with older eyes.;)

 

Who you calling old?  4803.gif   :lol:

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not you Pixey... (I wouldn't dare!):lol:

Personally, I've avoided having eye tests as I don't want glasses but find I'm holding books further and further away, so it'll be glasses soon ... or arm extensions.:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Eli - you may need Specksavers B).

 

@SuperSensual - sorry, we didn't mean to hijack your thread :lol:.

 

I blew up those red squares some more and I now can see what you mean.  Those areas look very pix-elated.  A couple of questions.  Did you just make those Manga (the pix-elated images) in PDN - or - are you just viewing the images you made before in PDN?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could it be that when the image was saved as PNG, it was saved with an 8-Bit Depth setting? Given that when you sample the beige tone in the non-speckled version you get a variety of colors, but when you sample it in the speckled version you only get one, that seems likely to me. The PNG setting is persistent, so I wouldn't be surprised if SuperSensual has it set to 8-Bit. Solution: Save an image and change it to Auto-Detect.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just tried saving in Auto detect and then 8 bit as @MJW mentioned.

 

example_zpstrelqggk.png

 

I notice that if I zoom into both of them I too am seeing dots like @SuperSensual.  But, who needs to zoom in that far anyway?  Aren't most images like this when you zoom in too close?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/02/2017 at 3:51 PM, Pixey said:

@SuperSensual - sorry, we didn't mean to hijack your thread :lol:.

 

I blew up those red squares some more and I now can see what you mean.  Those areas look very pix-elated.  A couple of questions.  Did you just make those Manga (the pix-elated images) in PDN - or - are you just viewing the images you made before in PDN?

 

xD no problem

 

I did everything on PDN but a few days ago this ''problem'' began to happen

 

On 28/02/2017 at 5:18 PM, MJW said:

Could it be that when the image was saved as PNG, it was saved with an 8-Bit Depth setting? Given that when you sample the beige tone in the non-speckled version you get a variety of colors, but when you sample it in the speckled version you only get one, that seems likely to me. The PNG setting is persistent, so I wouldn't be surprised if SuperSensual has it set to 8-Bit. Solution: Save an image and change it to Auto-Detect.

 

Auto-Detect? =v

 

How?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you save an image as PNG, just before it's actually saved, Paint.NET brings up a window titled "Save Configuration."  The window lets you choose the PNG Bit-Depth with a radio-button list. The choices are, Auto-Detect, 32-Bit, 24-Bit, and 8-Bit. Choose Auto-Detect before clicking  "OK."

 

As I mentioned, the setting is persistent:  if it's 8-Bit, it will remain 8-Bit until you change it; and once you change it to Auto-Detect, it will remain as Auto-Detect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

save.png

 

The Auto-detect setting is used to ensure an image is saved to the smallest file size that does not incur any loss of information or clarity.

Paint.net first determines at which bit depths the image can be saved at without fidelity loss, then the image is saved at the setting which results in the smallest file size.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this