Paint.net problem?

SuperSensual

I do not know if it was a update or something that i did... There are some kind a downgrade appearing in my PNG files

example:

bImhtAS.png

y5Zfv38.png

Can you see the difference in quality? There are some dots appearing and I do not know why =/ This started a few days ago

this ''downgrade'' only affects the PNG files

Does anyone have any ideas?

Hi @SS and welcome to the forum :).

I'm afraid I cannot see any difference.  I even blew up the area inside the red box and still couldn't see any dots :/

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

@SuperSensual Are you viewing the images at 100% size? I wondered if you were seeing some scaling artifacts.

13 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

@SuperSensual Are you viewing the images at 100% size? I wondered if you were seeing some scaling artifacts.

...idk =/

That's never happened before

You guys really can't see the stitches on her cheek?

kK3YXqA.png

EKqngUR.png

yOugPSL.png

18 hours ago, Pixey said:

Hi @SS and welcome to the forum :).

Thanks ^.^

18 hours ago, IRON67 said:

I can't see any "downgrade" neither knowing what you mean. Please be so kind and explain it in detail.

16 hours ago, Eli said:

I superposed the images using the xor layer mode and saw no differences either.

2 minutes ago, LionsDragon said:

I'm afraid I can't see it either. :(

=/ look closely please the shadow on her cheek

2016 = Clean and smooth image

2017 = Some kind a blur with little dots

Now I can see it. The only reasons I can imagine are, that you have mistakenly once saved the image with other options or in other format and later saved again as PNG, so the dithering was retained - maybe by an other application as PDN or you have saved in an online cloud service that reduces the quality by default.

Edited by IRON67

4 hours ago, Red ochre said:

No idea how or why that happened I'm afraid.

Hopefully the above image will make diagnosing the problem easier for those of us with older eyes.;)

Who you calling old?  4803.gif   :lol:

• Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

@Eli - you may need Specksavers B).

@SuperSensual - sorry, we didn't mean to hijack your thread :lol:.

I blew up those red squares some more and I now can see what you mean.  Those areas look very pix-elated.  A couple of questions.  Did you just make those Manga (the pix-elated images) in PDN - or - are you just viewing the images you made before in PDN?

30b8T8B.gif

Could it be that when the image was saved as PNG, it was saved with an 8-Bit Depth setting? Given that when you sample the beige tone in the non-speckled version you get a variety of colors, but when you sample it in the speckled version you only get one, that seems likely to me. The PNG setting is persistent, so I wouldn't be surprised if SuperSensual has it set to 8-Bit. Solution: Save an image and change it to Auto-Detect.

• Upvote 1

I just tried saving in Auto detect and then 8 bit as @MJW mentioned.

example_zpstrelqggk.png

I notice that if I zoom into both of them I too am seeing dots like @SuperSensual.  But, who needs to zoom in that far anyway?  Aren't most images like this when you zoom in too close?

30b8T8B.gif

On 28/02/2017 at 3:51 PM, Pixey said:

@SuperSensual - sorry, we didn't mean to hijack your thread :lol:.

I blew up those red squares some more and I now can see what you mean.  Those areas look very pix-elated.  A couple of questions.  Did you just make those Manga (the pix-elated images) in PDN - or - are you just viewing the images you made before in PDN?

xD no problem

I did everything on PDN but a few days ago this ''problem'' began to happen

On 28/02/2017 at 5:18 PM, MJW said:

Could it be that when the image was saved as PNG, it was saved with an 8-Bit Depth setting? Given that when you sample the beige tone in the non-speckled version you get a variety of colors, but when you sample it in the speckled version you only get one, that seems likely to me. The PNG setting is persistent, so I wouldn't be surprised if SuperSensual has it set to 8-Bit. Solution: Save an image and change it to Auto-Detect.

Auto-Detect? =v

How?

When you save an image as PNG, just before it's actually saved, Paint.NET brings up a window titled "Save Configuration."  The window lets you choose the PNG Bit-Depth with a radio-button list. The choices are, Auto-Detect, 32-Bit, 24-Bit, and 8-Bit. Choose Auto-Detect before clicking  "OK."

As I mentioned, the setting is persistent:  if it's 8-Bit, it will remain 8-Bit until you change it; and once you change it to Auto-Detect, it will remain as Auto-Detect.

save.png

The Auto-detect setting is used to ensure an image is saved to the smallest file size that does not incur any loss of information or clarity.

Paint.net first determines at which bit depths the image can be saved at without fidelity loss, then the image is saved at the setting which results in the smallest file size.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab