Presets for Gradient Mapping

• 1 year later...

Happy New Year!

7 hours ago, Pixey said:

Do you have any idea why this suddenly happened in my Gradient drop down please?

@Pixey , click on the drop-down list of presets and select Manage presets. In the dialog box that opens, compare the names of presets (xml files) with the names of presets in the drop-down list. The drop-down list must contain the same names without the xml extension.

I don't really know the reason for changing the name of the presets in your case. This may be the result of a file decompressor program, or some other software.

• Hugs 1
16 hours ago, ReMake said:

I don't really know the reason for changing the name of the presets in your case. This may be the result of a file decompressor program, or some other software.

You are correct.  I now know the culprit.  I downloaded a 'free' Photshop the other day and I think it took over the presets for similar names.  Who knows what else it's done to my computer 😱 It took me ages to delete those 'ghost copies' from your preset drop down, but now it's finally back to normal.  Thank you for your help 🍺.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

6 minutes ago, Pixey said:

I now know the culprit.

Photoshop's gradient presets have an extension .grd, it is unlikely that "free" Photoshop has damaged your presets folder for paint.net with the .xml extension.

6 minutes ago, ReMake said:

Photoshop's gradient presets have an extension .grd, it is unlikely that "free" Photoshop has damaged your presets folder for paint.net with the .xml extension.

I should have taken a screen shot when I was deleting the extra .xmls - but I didn't.  What had happened in the Gradient Mapping Presets, is that each of the presets had been duplicated, which then had a red 'x' next to it.  I also have noticed these red x's in a few of my computer folders, like my photos, but the folders are opening okay.  It is a total mystery to me, and other than the free PS downloaded a few days ago, and Cloud as well, I can't think what caused this 🤔.

red-x-s.png

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

I just tried to use the Gradient Mapping and the presets are not there, even though they are in the preset folder.  I wonder if Cloud is messing this up for me 😵 I will re-download the presets tomorrow and try to get them to work again.

But, odd they are in the folder:

gradient-presets.png

30b8T8B.gif

On 2/22/2017 at 12:05 AM, sashwilko said:

... but sadly without examples of what effect they create, it is basically a case of loading on a trial and error basis ? 

I added some images. All presets were applied to a linear black-and-white gradient. The sample presets are arranged in row from left to right in the same order as they are in the zip file (each subsequent lower row is a continuation of the previous upper row).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1