Magic wand issues

Hello,

I'm new to this and am having an issue with the Magic Wand. The problem is that it makes everything white in a photo (a t shirt, hat etc) transparent and when I try to use that image on a non white t shirt it comes out messed up. How do I do a partial remove of the magic wand's area? 

Thanks in advance.

I do not really understand your problem but I think, you save your image in the wrong format. JPG doesn't support transparency. You have to save it as PNG.

If I have misunderstood you, please show an example (screenshot).

Edited by IRON67

I am saving it as a PNG. What I'm saying is when I click the Magic Wand and tap to make an image transparent, anything white in the image (IE: a person in the photo wearing a white t shirt) shows up messed up when I put it onto a t shirt.

For exmaple if I made an image with a person that has a white shirt on it and tried putting the image on a blue shirt, the person's white shirt shows up as blue.

Ultiamtely,

I want to use the magic wand but remove certain areas the wand automatically makes transparent.

6 minutes ago, yanoboxing said:

...and tap to make an image transparent...

Depending on the choosen color tolerance normally only pixels with the same or similar color will be selected.

6 minutes ago, yanoboxing said:

the wand automatically makes transparent

Never seen or heard this before. Tell us about your version of Paint.net and Windows. The only tool for instant transparency is the eraser.

Edited by IRON67

When I tap on the wand and click the white area it makes everything white transparent.

In a nutshell, how do I remove something it made transparent that I don't want transparent while leaving everything else transparent (ie image with a background color and in the image a person has a white shirt.. i want the t shirt to stay as a white shirt but the rest of the background to be transparent)

First: Now it is clear. Your description wasn't very good. The reason is, that you have either choose "GLOBAL" for Floodmode or/and the tolerance was to high.

Set floodmode to "Contiguous" and tolerance to ~10-20%.

Or you select the whole shirt and then subtract the rectangle with the print before recoloring.

Edited by IRON67

12 minutes ago, IRON67 said:

First: Now it is clear. Your description wasn't very good. The reason is, that you have either choose "GLOBAL" for Floodmode or/and the tolerance was to high.

Set floodmode to "Contiguous" and tolerance to ~10-25%.

Thanks for that. Where do I find the floormode option and tolerance range? I'm new to this program sorry. The only thing I see with a percentage is hardness

Yanoboxing, do you want to copy the photo and the text to another T-Shirt? if so, use the Rectangle select tool  to select the photo, copy it to the clipboard and then paste it over your blue t-shirt. The text you can type it.

Edited by Eli

8 minutes ago, yanoboxing said:

Now one more question.. how do i add text to an image? Is there an option where I can add text and resize/change colors?

Of course. Add Text with the Text Tool (T). All other you can find either in preinstalled Effects or in additional plugins. Maybe you should be a little more patient and read the Online Help for Paint.net (Press F1).

Edited by IRON67

How can I do it without the t shirt? Like literally add the image and then put the text above it? I ask because I upload images to a place that prints the t shirts so if i had the t shirt in the design I'd be printing a t shirt with a design that's literally a t shirt with a graphic on a t shirt

When I hit that text box and only put the image by itself, the background is blank so you can't see the text.

1. Select the White around the shirt with tolerance ~15% and press DEL to make all around the shirt transparent.
2.Overpaint the old orange text with the clone tool with a hardness of 0-50%
3. Select with magic wand (tol.:25%) the transparent area and invert this selection by pressing CTRL+I so that now the complete shirt is selected.
4. Subtract with the rectangle selection tool the image on the shirt.
5. Add a new layer (its transparent above the actual image with the same selection).
6. Fill it with the paintbucket and a choosen color
7. Choose in the Layer-Window for this new layer properties (last icon to the right) Multiply and play with the transparency.
8. Add new text.

tut.png

When I hit that text box and only put the image by itself, the background is blank so you can't see the text.

Maybe you should REALLY spend more time with the help and not try immediately solve a complex problem in a nearly unknown program with some simple clicks.

Edited by IRON67