Contect menu from task bar

Clicking on paint.net in the task bar [re]opens the paint.net, unless have multiple images in which case have to choose one

Right clicking on paint.net in the task bar provides the usual options - pin to task bar, close window

but more can be added, such as what outlook does on a right-click

what I reckon would be useful was at least the Edit - Paste into New Image option drectly from the task bar icon

Why? when doing a series of screenshots (yes, like user documentation)

1. open app, print screen, open paint.net, File->paste Into New Image

2. back to app [do some work], print screen, click paint.net, File->paste Into New Image

3. back to app [do some work], print screen, click paint.net - asks which window to open, choose one, File->paste Into New Image

4 repeat step 3 (and the more paint.net pages open the more annoying it gets)

Adding the "Paste into New Image" option directly into the paint.net task bar icon (right click) would make life just that little bit easier

(or perhaps 2 versions of it: 'paste & open', 'paste without open'

Would make grabbing that series of screenshots less of a chore

1.png2.png3.png

Edited by lopati

In paint.net, Ctrl + Alt + V will paste into a new image. Does that simplify things? I know it's about the same amount of effort as right clicking and selecting from the menu... :)

For an app with multiple tabs in the taskbar, like what Paint.NET and most browsers do, hold Ctrl while clicking on it. That will cycle through the open windows.

In this case you just want to activate any tab. So, Ctrl+click once on Paint.NET, and then immediately press Ctrl+Alt+V.

(This trick is handy for folks like me that litter Notepad instances all over the places with various notes. When I go to reboot, I need to go through all of them to delete, save, forget, remember. Rapidly ctrl+clicking until they're all in the foreground is much faster than clicking the taskbar icon and then clicking the item in the list.)

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

31 minutes ago, Rick Brewster said:

folks like me that litter Notepad instances all over the places with various notes. When I go to reboot, I need to go through all of them to delete, save, forget, remember.

Have you ever considered using Microsoft OneNote?

I know there's other ways to do it (keyboard etc), but that misses the point because still have to switch toone of the active paint.net windows.

What I want is like outlook, I can select the action directly from the task bar

i.e. instead of: do work in another app, print-screen, switch to paint.net, paste-into-new-image, switch-back-to-app, repeat

I'm looking for: do work in another app, print-screen, right click paint.net task bar icon, choose paste to new image, repeat

i.e. save the switch-to paint.net.  (Of course would need to start paint.net once so the task bar icon is active).

similar to in outlook once opened, I can right click the task bar icon and choose create new message - even if outlook is minimized/behind something

OK, only saves 2 steps (switch to paint, switch back to app), but when doing a series of screenshots way less disruptive to getting the sequence right

15 hours ago, BoltBait said:

Have you ever considered using Microsoft OneNote?

I have and I should ... it's like a weird form of laziness, but also not. Notepad is intentionally ephemeral, as well, forcing me to act/decide at least a little. When I reboot, I have to decide whether to save a TODO item into something more permanent, or kill it.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg