toe_head2001

Object of the Fortnight – Discussion thread

@welshblue - I guess @lynxster4 would be the one to answer this ............... but I'd say GO for it  ..... shoes are shoes and not many entries so far.  My 2cents :lol:

I've heard this before...there is a reason Pixey was voted Queen of Paint.NET. Pixey's work really is that good. I've seen very few artists who can create a realistic image without a reference image. Have you seen the amount of layers that she used? My guess is that some had even been merged. 

The way Pixey has worked is very valid & I work that way too sometimes. It is a fabulous shoe & image. I enjoyed looking at the different layers & marvelled at her skill. Well done Pixey!

Edited by barbieq25
Fixed typo.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, barbieq25 said:

I've heard this before

I agree that @Pixey should laugh it off.  And take it as a compliment.

I remember some PM's I used to get ... and still wonder years  later if they the doubters and haters ever trawled through the files I sent with 100's of layers just to prove that I didn't need to plagiarise when you've got a head as messed up with chemicals like mine is :D

Some people can't get their head around the fact that some people will put the graft into making an image.  Is why I spent so long on my latest tutorial.  To try and give the best possible outcome back to the community

... or maybe they just want Pixey to walk over them in those heels.  People can pay good money for that.  Allegedly ...

Edited by welshblue

Out of rep points but yep, agree. I remember the PMs too. We are of an age where we appreciated the time it takes to craft things & not into instant gratification.

I wore red patent leather shoes (NOT stilettos - too old for that) & matching handbag to my son's wedding. I'd love Pixey's shoe though :D 

With only 3 days to go, only 3 entries by 2 members in the High heel OOTF. Any thoughts on extending it by another week ? 

No, I don't think extending it another week would bring in anymore entries ;)  Thanks @DrewDale

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Pixey said:

No, I don't think extending it another week would bring in anymore entries ;)  Thanks @DrewDale

OK. I will close is on the due by date. Shame there is so few participants. 

The OOTF rules forbid the use of photographs. Does that extend to using equirectangular photographs as reflection maps? I can understand why it might, but on the other hand, the image isn't of the the object, itself, just the surrounding environment.

Thoughts / opinion on OOTF. 
Once again a very low turnout for entries, should the comp be ended due to lack of interest ? or should there be a more flexible rules set up to make it easier for members to take part ? For example, using photos as @MJW mentions above ⬆️ or even using an image to create an object ? 

All suggestions welcome, only two people entering a comp that has 2 weeks to create and submit an entry is not much of a competition IMO. 

Edited by DrewDale

The reason I stopped competing is because it looked like photos were being used for some entries. IMO.

I can't and won't compete against photos.

Edited by Woodsy

I don't think the comp should be ended. Even though the last two themes attracted few entries, the "Pencil" theme before that had ten entries, and the recent "Umbrella" theme had eight.

I certainly don't think photos should be used as the objects, themselves. I was just asking if photos can be used for producing reflections on objects. I'd be happy to live by whatever the rule is. Maybe the best rule is a clear-cut, no photos as part of the final image.

I'm not sure which entries Woodsy is saying used photos, or what specifically is meant by "using" photos. Pixey's shoe entry used a photo in the sense that a photographic image was traced over to produce the shape of the object and its highlights, but I think that's entirely within the rules. I will say, though, that I prefer themes that don't depend largely on tracing, and I suspect they attract more entrees. For instance, for the pencil theme I used photos (and actual pencils) only to get the proportions, since pencils are quite geometric, so they can be produced more or less from scratch. Objects as complex and non-symmetric as tennis rackets and shoes pretty much require a trace-and-color approach, which while technically challenging, isn't, to me, as interesting. (BTW, I thought "Radio" was a fine theme; I had some good ideas.)

I don't know why the "Cherry" theme hasn't gotten more entries. Maybe cherries are just too similar to apples, so there's a bit of been-there-done-that. I was working on an entry, but ran out of time.

• Upvote 1

Realistic images I have never been fond of creating. Therefore I don't enter but support others by voting.

OOTF rules - being realistic images - is very hard for most people. As for trace & colour comments, this is probably exactly why there are so few entries. I have seen the PDN file Pixey was working on. Technically challenging is an understatement. Those that have managed to create something realistic, are to be applauded.  

• Like 1

I too don't think the OOTF should be closed.  It's sad that more don't join in, but you can't force people to enter if they don't want to :D

At least there are two choices. The SOTW is more versatile for people who don't want/like to use the Shape Maker and color/blending methods.

Realism has never been a requirement of OotF.

But will a realistic object win more votes? Probably.

If you're looking to just have fun with the competition, you might even want to create a cartoonish object.

If you honestly suspect someone of cheating, don't be bashful about. We can investigate your concerns. No one wants to compete with cheaters.

They will be treated innocent until proven guilty, though.

While tracing is technically allowed, if people are really tracing over photos, I think that is pretty lame (and lazy, and unartistic). Obviously there's more to a OotF entry than just outlines, so I'm not saying it's all unartistic and lazy; just the tracing bit. That's just my opinion; feel free to disagree.

Reference photos are meant to remind you what something looks like in detail: proportions, colors, shape, ect.

Edited by toe_head2001

36 minutes ago, barbieq25 said:

being realistic images - is very hard for most people

I agree with this. I'd rather see the comp use items or themes which are not photo-realistic: patterns, textures, text, pixel art, etc...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

I agree with this. I'd rather see the comp use items or themes which are not photo-realistic: patterns, textures, text, pixel art, etc...

Then I suggest the Rules of the OOTF need to reflect that.  i.e. use of Plugins only to make the object - and no drawing.

I don't think tracing should be forbidden. I just think themes should chosen that don't require extensive reliance on tracing. If the goal is realism, it's pretty hard to avoid tracing when the theme is "Tennis Racket." When the theme is "Shield," it's a lot easier. The most tracing I ever used was for "Maple Leaf," where I traced a leaf's outline. I would have preferred to produce the outline in some other fashion, but nothing I tried produced the result I was after.

My taste runs toward realism, but I have no problem with less-than-relistic renderings in OOTF (though I'm unlikely to vote for them).

OK. For some reason, I can't create a poll this week. Not got the time to be trying for the THIRD time this evening, It will have to wait until tomorrow. 

Is anyone else having trouble seeing the images in the OOTF#23 - Empty Vase Poll?  I can see them all in Chrome, but half of the images don't show when I use Firefox.

10 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

I see no issue with any of the images in the poll.

Yes, I see the images again as of 5 mins ago.  The site must have been down for a few hours earlier.

With only 5 more days to go until this weeks object of the fortnight closes for entries, only one member so far has created something! Is it worth retiring this comp? It seems like a dead horse is being flogged now. ?