Object of the Fortnight – Discussion thread

Tough theme this time around (if I never see Smudge again I'll be happy)

Not sure if this in the rules but if the shapes are proving problematic to anyone, here's a template made with the paintbrush.  

Spoiler

viola-template.png

Same shapes with Gradients on them as an example

viola-template-ex.png

Edited by welshblue
  • Like 1

Congratulations to @welshblue and @Pixey, along with the other entrants, for the very impressive notepads. Many excellent entries, and Welshblue's winning entry was superb.

(I went to the Winner thread, but it was archived and closed to comments. Either it should be left open longer, or I need to procrastinate less. Probably the latter.)

• Like 3
6 hours ago, MJW said:

(I went to the Winner thread, but it was archived and closed to comments. Either it should be left open longer, or I need to procrastinate less. Probably the latter.)

Hmmm - sorry about that @MJW I always thought one could comment after a thread was closed.  I see this when I tried in the locked thread, but it knows I am a Mod so perhaps it only works for me?  This is what I see:

allowed-to-reply.png      ~ clicky ~

I will check with the Admins about it.  Otherwise perhaps we should leave them unlocked when they are moved to the Archive thread.

2 hours ago, lynxster4 said:

@Pixey  When you set up the Poll, only set the Poll to close at your specified date and time.

On the Content Tab, there is locking info on the right-hand side....don't use that.  Use the Poll Tab locking info.  :)

Thank you @lynxster4 I thought that was what I was doing, but will take extra care when I do the next one 😵

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, welshblue said:

there's always one awkward bar-steward  who complicates things

Also one that puts in such attention to detail to an image. Your second entry took me right back to when tapes were the way to record your own music.  No disrespect to Pixey or Vagabondi but yours jumps out as the real deal (they've both got glaring mistakes) even down to the way the case is split into 2 at the bottom. The title is highly amusing. Our younger days of lost love, tears into the pillow and life not worth living. You mister are a credit to this software

On 12/31/2019 at 7:58 PM, AspiringArtist said:

Also one that puts in such attention to detail to an image

Someone would say anally retentive.  Myself included

(they've both got glaring mistakes)

As have I.  The upper holes above the pinch roller holes should be a rounded rectangle ... but hey ho.  It is what it is

Our younger days of lost love, tears into the pillow and life not worth living.

Nope, sorry. Never been there. 

The text is just my dark humour, in that I laugh at everything bad in the world, about the people in it.  

Edited by welshblue

Though now that the next subject is no longer picked by the winner, it's not necessary to wait till a winner is declared, I thought the usual procedure was to begin the next OOTF after the previous one was completed, including voting.

I, myself, somewhat favor the previous procedure, because I like having the week off. For example, it allows those who want to also enter SOTW more time to work on both.

• Like 3

Sorry @MJW I wasn't thinking (probably after a few too many Pomegranate martinis on my birthday) and posted too early.  I'd been sent the next theme already picked and I automatically went ahead and posted it yesterday.  I'll take care not to do this again 🤣

What say you people - should I alter the ending date right away and make it for the 25th January to get back in sync?

(Remember, I'm probably a lot older than many of you on here.)  🤶

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, MJW said:

next OOTF after the previous one was completed, including voting.

I thought I'd lost a week 😐

23 minutes ago, Pixey said:

should I alter the ending date right away and make it for the 25th January to get back in sync

My personal thought is keep it like it is for this one. 

Not the usual M.O. but these things happen.  If anyone has never made a mistake ...  they're only kidding themselves ?

Alcohol ... it's why I stopped drinking ... I was literally losing days ... so don't feel bad @Pixey

Edited by welshblue
32 minutes ago, Pixey said:

What say you people - should I alter the ending date right away and make it for the 25th January to get back in sync?

I believe either way is okay.  The main thing, I think, is to keep the OOTF voting and the SOTW voting on different weeks; but both ways do that. Though producing a realistic rock is challenging, I don't think it should be especially time-consuming, since rocks don't have a lot of individual components.

All in all, I don't see any strong reason to not keep the current deadline.

6 minutes ago, welshblue said:

Alcohol ... it's why I stopped drinking ... I was literally losing days ... so don't feel bad @Pixey

Sadly - it's not due to alcohol - I was joking .............. it's old age.  I am getting more and more absent minded as time advances 😱

3 minutes ago, MJW said:

I believe either way is okay.  The main thing, I think, is to keep the OOTF and the SOTW voting on different weeks; but both ways do that. Though producing a realistic rock is challenging, I don't think it should be especially time consuming, since rocks don't have a lot of individual components.

All in all, I don't see any reason to not keep the current deadline.

Okay let's keep the deadline the 18th, and catch up later :)

I can't even blame you @lynxster4 as I did only have one martini :)  However ............................ I had a glass of wine too smileys-bier-514101.gif

It's just old age ................. I get into a routine and then when something happens that's different, I go into 'auto'.  Actually, it gets quite amusing in our house.  My husband is getting forgetful as well - it sometimes takes us about 10 minutes to get on track about what we are talking about sleepy-smiley.gif

To clarify after being asked - my second stone IS all Paint.net textures. 

Four variations of different Planetoid  layers/ textures >  S3D'ed > Point Warp > Liquify > Sharpen + ... and then different Blend Modes/ Large very soft Eraser on parts 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, yellowman said:

thank you for the warm welcoming

Always for one of my oldest friends here, and one of my inspirations to always improve, even if you weren't here in person

3 minutes ago, yellowman said:

glad to be here  again

Are you back for good ?

And yep some really top level entries