toe_head2001

Object of the Fortnight – Discussion thread

Peoples ... thank you, but just laugh.

I'm 52 .  I've had worse said about me, some true, some not.  

Keyboard warriors are like water off a ducks back.  Inconsequential 

dirt-bikes-broken-bones.jpg

... it's more daunting what EER and T_H are going to chuck at us in the next theme

Edited by welshblue
  • Like 1

<3 @Maggie!

Hello and welcome to :PaintDotNet32:  forum.
You're one of the experts, too. 
Because new beginners can't create advanced things. :cake: :coffee:

45 minutes ago, Seerose said:

<3 @Maggie!

Hello and welcome to :PaintDotNet32:  forum.
You're one of the experts, too. 
Because new beginners can't create advanced things. :cake: :coffee:

Hi @Seerose!

Thank you for the welcome!

I'm very flattered that you would think so😌, but actually I'm not an expert or advanced, I'm a beginner. I 'drew' the notebook using the straight and curved line tool, used flood fill to add colors, and then added the shadows and highlights using TR's Dodge and Burn plugin and @BoltBait's Shadow plugin. Not advanced techniques at all-very easy to do. Anything that looks expert probably has to do with the fact that I'm a trained artist/illustrator...I just think of something I want to draw and it comes out of my head into my hand, even digital things 🤔. I have such a notebook as I drew on my desk here, and I just looked at it for reference.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I'll take all the abuse anyone wants to throw at me, but when they wish my family a long, slow painful death ... I won't have that.

I half expected my flame OOTW to be disqualified immediately. (I was primarily testing how to link an image from a my website).

@WB - I do think waiting a week, till just before the deadline to complain was very petty and frankly unkind.

Having said that, I have NOT private messaged you and have NOT wished you or your family dead.

Red . Let's move on. I feel like using a flame on my notebooks  notepads

I never did think it and never would think that of you.  You're too classy and old skool for that

Edited by welshblue

Ok, it all depends on what @Pixey wants to allow (host's prerogative to have final say), but I do not think two loose sheets of paper qualify as a Notepad.

Should a Notebook qualify as a Notepad (the former being much larger than the latter)?

Where I come from, a Notepad fits in your shirt pocket. But of course, words definitions vary among different locales.

7 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

Should a Notebook qualify as a Notepad (the former being much larger than the latter)?

I hate to say it ... but you're right.  Mine isn't a notepad.  Never was.  If I lose the holes, the front cover lines and the red lines on the paper, then it will be

Oh well, practice makes perfect

18 hours ago, Maggie said:

*pokes head out*

@Pixey I liked your entry very much-the spirals are a nice touch; how did you achieve them?

Hi @Maggie and thank you very much :)  I followed this tutorial and used a gradient, on B & W, on the rings then used Gradient Mapping  with @ReMake's presets to get a color I liked 😁

@Seerose  @welshblue and @lynxster4 I only just logged on and see that you have all changed your entries, as per @toe_head2001's suggestions - thank you very much :)

Sorry I was late on picking up on this, due to having a busy morning.  Personally, I never gave much thought to the 'size' of a notepad.  I figured something you jotted on would pass as one.  I'd say that @welshblue's entry as of now, can stay put.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Pixey said:

I'd say that @welshblue's entry as of now, can stay put.

Phew.  So glad I didn't make that ring binder 😅

Someone, anyone's opinion would be most appreciated ... I'm trying to break in new glasses and my images look blurry to me.  Especially the second one.  Are they ?

2 minutes ago, welshblue said:

Someone, anyone's opinion would be most appreciated ... I'm trying to break in new glasses and my images look blurry to me.  Especially the second one.  Are they ?

They look fine to me @welshblue, but then I'm breaking in new glasses as well. I find your notepad almost photographic, really great work.

@Pixey thanks for pointing me to the tutorial and the little extra tidbits. I'm always ready to pick up new techniques.

Thanks @Maggie 

I swear the ones that cost £1 from a poundstore are better than the ones which were exorbitant.

I think I'll play with the Shape3D settings again on the second one.

13 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I'm always ready to pick up new techniques.

PS tutorials can be a great way of learning by having to think about how to achieve the same thing

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AndrewDavid said:

I think I just figured you out mate

Better than my wife.  She started.  I stopped her.

W eird

E rratic

L oopy

I'm glad you've figured me out mate, 52 years and I'm still struggling 😉

On topic - this theme is too soddin' addictive.  Sad when you're laying in bed thinking about settings

• Like 1

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but it's a question about  entries.  @welshblue how do you get rotate/ zoom to maintain it's shape and definition like you have on 2 of your images ?  When I use  it the images lose definition or  distorts strangely on some settings.  Also how do you get your images so crisp ?  I'm relatively new to this but my images are never so sharp.  For example your first notebook could be a photograph.  

The best way is to create your image at 200% or 400%. Then, when finished, scale it down to the contest size. 

• Like 1

@AspiringArtist welcome to the forums ...  the way BoltBait describes, is the go to method by common consensus. 

Unfortunately I never get good results that way so I make my images the size they're displayed.  I use a lot of blur painting to maximise light and shadows and this covers a multitude of sins.  I can only speak from my own experience for this though.  I also use the built in Sharpen filter - very sparingly on low settings. 

Too much and it's a very false finish.  I can only advise, practice, practice, practice and experiment to find what works best for you.

I approach an image as if I'm respraying a car - lots of thinner layers always gives a better finish than fewer 'thicker' layers.  

With regards to Rotate/Zoom ... I only use it to rotate precisely or to shrink an object.  For tilting etc I use Shape3D .  on the Box setting.  Uncheck the faces you don't want to manipulate, Check the AA option, set it to 5, turn off the lighting option.  Then use the Axis 1, 2, 3 controls,.

It takes a while to get used to, but the more you play, the more intuitive it becomes and gives substantially better results.  At least I think so.

The first notepad in the competition is all made up of layers of Shape3D.  Even the ribbon.  If you look closely you can see where the 'Box' flat part meets the loop.  The loop was made using the Cylinder setting in Shape3D and deleting the surplus to make a join. (The second pad is also S3D ... with some Tube Oblique to give it a curl)

It's more experimenting with the added bonus of being able to save settings to re-use on other projects.

Thanks for the compliment,  shout out with any other questions.  There's always someone willing to help

• Like 1

There is also a 3D Image Object effect in the G'MIC plugin.

It can be found here: G'MIC 

After install the plugin and launching it from Paint.NET's Effects>Advanced>G'MIC-Qt you will goto G'MIC's Rendering>3D Image Object.

I used it to help in the creation this retro image:
78H.jpg

Edited by HyReZ

@HyReZ ... I was explaining to the OP how I use S3D over Rotate/Zoom ... but never a bad thing to point someone towards G'Mic

@AspiringArtist ... yeah, S3D can seem daunting, but it really is intuitive when you get to grips with it.  You can make countless shapes besides using it to get a level plane.

You're welcome to some .xml files that you can load to have a gander at different settings if you'd like (I save everything)  It's interesting to see how different placement on the canvas give a different result.  Give me a shout if you want any.

smileys-smiley-mit-schild-314114.gif      

FYI - just a note to say that the Poll for the Notepad Competition will go up on Sunday, as tomorrow I have to go to Orlando for a family re-union :)

• Like 1

Oooooo your Signature is so cute - I love it to bits 😍

• Like 1