toe_head2001

Object of the Fortnight – Discussion thread

I'm very sorry and disappointed to say I won't have an entry in the Guitar theme. Believe me, I spent many hours working on one, but I can't finish it by the deadline. I wasted too much time in the beginning on details that wouldn't even be visible in the final image, so that even by cutting a few corners, I can't get it done in time.

A Guitar is, I think, a poor choice for a theme. I realized (too late)  that it's one of those themes -- like the Watch -- that requires a seemingly unending number of rather difficult components. I certainly applaud those who did complete entries..

Pixey wanted me to let you all know she's been unavoidably side tracked. She will take care of the poll when she returns. It might be a day or two.

On 4/6/2019 at 5:24 PM, MJW said:

A Guitar is, I think, a poor choice for a theme. I realized (too late)  that it's one of those themes -- like the Watch -- that requires a seemingly unending number of rather difficult components. I certainly applaud those who did complete entries..

Agreed.

My original proposal:

On 12/18/2016 at 5:03 AM, toe_head2001 said:

Ideally, the object would be something without too much complexity in its structure.

e.g. banana, Christmas tree ornament, CD, book, wood sign, mug

But that's just my opinion. Ultimately, the competition should do what ever is popular with the people who participate.

So, judging by the participate count of only three entries... maybe a Guitar was a bit too complex.

Obviously, if I'd known ahead of time how difficult it would prove to be, I would have selected a different theme. Until I've actually attempted to produce an object, I have a hard time anticipating how difficult it will be.

Yes, I must accept the dubious distinction. I should make a mental inventory of the number of separate parts making up an object before committing to a theme. I would have realized the the tuners alone make the guitar a very difficult subject.

EDIT: Not that I don't think about the complexity to some extent. There's a certain balancing, though. If I spend too much time thinking about how hard it would be for me to do, using my techniques, I end of choosing themes specifically suited to me, which isn't really fair.

To be fair to @MJW some of us will struggle with certain themes more than others, whilst others will excel at other themes.

I personally struggle with 'organic' themes.  And subsequently choose themes that interest me ... like the trophy one - that came from being in my son's bedroom and having to move over 50 trophies ... the shapes were interesting and varied

I guess every theme is a jigsaw and it's finding the time to build up the components satisfactorily to each users liking. 

That said, the more experienced will find certain things easier ... like my guitar body ... it took an half an hour of Point Warp and Bulge until I was happy but once I was, everything else fell into place

Just would like to thank @Woodsy and @lynxster4 for stepping up to help me last weekend in the OofF. 

I was taken ill very suddenly last Saturday at exactly 2 PM when the Poll should have been put up 😱  I was in hospital for 4 days on an IV with antibiotics.  I am in the middle of chemo for bladder cancer and got a very nasty infection which hit me very rapidly and had to cal  911.  I'm back home now and hope to get back to normal soon :D

18 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

It's good to have you back! You're supposed to be resting though. 😊

Ditto, that!   :P     Now, go and rest...

• Like 1

Glad you're feeling better, Pixey. Sorry to hear about your health problems.

• Like 1

Glad you got the help quickly @Pixey ... the immune system takes a real battering with chemo.

My wife's Aunt died today from complication pneumonia after battling the 'C' ... so, so very glad to read you're on the mend

<hugs>

• Like 1

Thank you all so much for your Best Wishes :D.  I am feeling myself today, so will continue with the next round of the OotF.  Again, many thanks to @Woodsy and @lynxster4 for their help :star:

• Like 2

It still fascinates me just how much artistic talent there is on this Forum, and especially the amazing creative objects which Paint.Net can create.

Kindest wishes

Roger the Dodger 😊

• Like 2

😂

I was sat in a hospital ward this morning looking around at all the machinery/equipment/ plugs and it dawned on me ... my entry has got a plug and flex - great -but it's 'bubbling' despite not being connected to the mains 😂

The way PDN can get into the blood as well as 'good' toxins is incredible

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, welshblue said:

my entry has got a plug and flex - great -but it's 'bubbling' despite not being connected to the mains 😂

Is it magical?  😮

• Like 1

@welshblue hope you don't have Sepsis like I did last week.  Not funny 😱  Hope you get home soon.

I'm confused about the "round football" theme. Is a "round football" what we Americans call a soccer ball, or is it a non-flat American football? I'm guessing the former, but the example images are of both.

Yes, the American soccer ball - that's why I specified 'Round'.  I will add soccer ball to the notes :)

@lynxster4 @Pixey @MJW @Eli

I just wanted to tell you guys how impressed I am with the renderings of the football - very very impressive

- although GoalKeepers around the world will have nightmares about MJW's 😂 (dimples and latex grip = shower and soap at times ...)

I also remember having a ball like Eli's.  Good days.  Not sure why they went so quick tho' 🤔

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Eli said:

I guess my ball is not allowed by  FIFA

I'm not saying FIFA is corrupt but offer officials enough money and your design will be at the next World Cup

As for their sister UEFA ... Baku for a Europa League Cup Final ??  🤐 

Only 12,000 tickets between both clubs for a 70,000 stadium and apparently half will be returned 

Definitely money over Football ...