toe_head2001

Object of the Fortnight – Discussion thread

@AndrewDavid your link is broken for your bon-bon in the entries area.  Please can you fix it.  If not, I've been able to get a shot of it and will replace it at 2 PM this afternoon if you don't manage to see this comment.

For some reason it's not showing in Chrome but is in Firefox - weird!

@dipstick Just asking if you used a photograph for the OotF Competition please?  If so, it will have violated one of the Rules.  If you made it just for fun, then we can still admire it as it's pretty cool 😍

Wow!  I'd forgotten about his shapes ;) Great work with it - looks so real :) and thanks for responding 🍺

I think dipstick's entry needs to be resized. It seems to be some in some variable-sized format that shows up as considerably larger than 600x600.

You are correct about the size @MJW of @dipstick's image - it is over 600 x 600.

@dipstick Please can you resize before the deadline tomorrow.  Also, I've assumed the animated one is not being accepted, as the animation is not made in PDN

@MJW I did ask @dipstick if that was a photo - see his comment above my query.  I assumed his answer was a negative ...... that it was not a photo.

@PixeyI'd already edited out the photo comment, since, as I mentioned, I didn't really object to it; but I wasn't referring to the source of the motorcycle image -- I was referring to the landscape reflected in the skull.

Ah - yes, I see what you mean @MJW the skull indeed looks like a photograph reflection.  I should have noticed that :lol:

@dipstick If you can, please respond to whether a photograph was used as a reflection in the skull.  If so, could you just use a normal color before tomorrow 2 PM EST. 

As the rules for the OotF state, we are not allowed help from outside images/photos/textures.

I have re-phrased that @MJW in my previous post.

First of all, the animation was indeed done in PDN. The chrome reflection is made using one of my E-Maps, which I've previously posted in another thread about chrome reflection. Since this is getting a little ridiculous, please omit my entries from this contest...

Thanks. 

Thank you for the clarification on both counts @dipstick  I had to ask about the animation, as you often use other software, and also about the reflection, and your reply is appreciated. 

Your entries will be included in the Poll - but please can you re-size them to 600 x 600 :)  Thank you.

47 minutes ago, dipstick said:

Since this is getting a little ridiculous, please omit my entries from this contest.

I fail to see the ridiculousness.  There's nothing wrong with verifying that the rules are followed, is there?

You have ensured us that you followed the rules, so why omit them?

I was asked if  mine was all PDN, especially the bowl ... just in case anyone else is wondering 

trophy-proof.png

7 different .xml files available (2 'marble' ones)

Actually 8 files if you count the Mud Swimming text

Edited by welshblue
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, welshblue said:

I was asked if  mine was all PDN

A compliment to you, and at the same time ... an insult to Paint.NET.  :P

15 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

an insult to Paint.NET.

Yep.  It can do the same as other software ...  maybe a few more steps and workarounds to get there.  But you can get there

I learned never to try and blag/ fool experts when I was a kid. 

I pretended to be ill to stay off school - the next day my father took me to the doctor who put his finger somewhere it shouldn't be ... and declared my appendix were going to burst.  3 hours later I was appendixless ...  got a week off school ... but more pain than I had when I was pretending

Honesty is definitely the best policy 😁

(* Not that I'm saying anyone has ever been anything but)

Edited by welshblue
  • Like 1

And, just for the record, it wasn't me who asked @welshblue if his entry was 'iffy' 😁.  The bowl is obviously - and the round red pill shape - done with Shape 3D and I recall his marble from a previous work of his 😉

For the record, if @dipstick fails to re-size his 2 images, I will not be able to include them in the Poll -  'coz ....... Rules are rules 😉

I guess @dipstick chose not to resize his entry. Too bad; it was very well done.

I do, however, think there should be a rule for future competitions disallowing animation. I don't think it's really in the spirit of OOTF.

As @toe_head2001 was the author of this subject, let's hear what he thinks about the non animation idea :) 

4 hours ago, Pixey said:

let's hear what he thinks about the non animation idea

Personally, I agree: animated images shouldn't be allowed.

If you want to show off animated version of your object, you may post a link to it in your entry post. But of course, your entry will only consist of the image actually displayed in post. Nothing more; nothing less.

Edited by toe_head2001

5 hours ago, Pixey said:

And, just for the record, it wasn't me who asked @welshblue if his entry was 'iffy

Nah it was a one post wonder and to be fair, not in a nasty way ... but it sort of plants the seed of doubt ... plus I wouldn't risk your wrath 😉

14 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

Personally, I agree: animated images shouldn't be not be allowed.

Me too for what it's worth. An object is an object ?  

A possible monthly comp for animations could be cool ... there's a few great animators here

12 minutes ago, welshblue said:

Nah it was a one post wonder and to be fair, not in a nasty way ... but it sort of plants the seed of doubt ... plus I wouldn't risk your wrath 😉

Yep - hubby would advise against doing that smileys-boxen-629053.gif

17 minutes ago, welshblue said:

A possible monthly comp for animations could be cool ... there's a few great animators here

Hmm - that's an idea but I don't think that subject is very popular with the majority on here.  But I could be wrong.  And we may have just lost one of them 😉.

I do hope @dipstick is not mad with us for long :lol:

Not mad at all. I post things because I like to post what I consider is cool. Not at all interested in winning. If people like it, then it's cool, if not, that's fine too, as everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Art is first and foremost very subjective...

If I make something I like in the future, I'll post it, rest assured.