Object of the Fortnight - Discussion thread.

toe_head2001

This is the forum thread to discuss the proceedings of the 'Object of the Fortnight' competition.

If you can a question, concern, comment, complaint, or suggestion, please express it here.

Original post:

Spoiler

As mentioned in the idea thread, I'd like to get the 'Object of the Fortnight' competition going.  Before it gets started, let's establish some qualification rules.

Here's my proposal:

Competition Rules:
1. Your entry must not have a background/backdrop/scene; just the object.*  Shadows are fine.
2. Your entry must be 100% made using Paint.net.  Don't use another image editor.  Don't use stock images.
3. Max dimensions are 800x800.*
4. You may modify or replace your image until the deadline. 
5. Multiple entries per entrant are allowed.  

*You may link to alternative versions, but they will not be part of your entry.

• Upvote 2

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Define "Object".

An image of a physical thing OR a group of pixels surrounded by transparent pixels?

Are you going to choose the object or will it be a free-for-all?

58 minutes ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Define "Object".

An image of a physical thing OR a group of pixels surrounded by transparent pixels?

A physical thing:

On 12/17/2016 at 9:03 PM, toe_head2001 said:

e.g. banana, Christmas tree ornament, CD, book, wood sign, mug

59 minutes ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Are you going to choose the object or will it be a free-for-all?

I will chose it the first time. The next on will be chosen by the most recent winner.

• Upvote 2

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png

It seems I did a poor job of explaining, and I need to be more explicit. :(

The object is to be taken literally. It's not meant to be interpreted.

So, Raspberry would literally be a raspberry fruit.  No Raspberry Pi computers, no Raspberry flavored lollipops, no Raspberries band, ect.

bp-sig.png

11 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

It seems I did a poor job of explaining, and I need to be more explicit. :(

The object is to be taken literally. It's not meant to be interpreted.

So, Raspberry would literally be a raspberry fruit.  No Raspberry Pi computers, no Raspberry flavored lollipops, no Raspberries band, ect.

I removed the stick but it still looks like candy :D.

17 minutes ago, MJW said:

Should it be a single raspberry, or is a group allowed?

I think for the actual entry, it should just be a single raspberry.  I feel this will put all entries on an equal footing, so we can compare "apples to apples" and not "apples to oranges".

I don't want to be a dictator of the rules, so if you think differently, please state your case. :)

bp-sig.png

I'm perfectly happy to abide by that rule. I sort of prefer it, since if bunches were allowed, I'd probably be tempted to do a bunch, which would be a lot of extra work.

Are we allowed to add a leaf or two?

• 2 weeks later...

Slight delay there. Toe_head didn't have the necessary permissions. That should be resolved now. Now TH just needs to figure out the forum poll system :)

The winner of the last competition, Woodsy, has chosen the object of 'Unshelled Walnut'.  That is to say, a walnut that has had its husk removed, but not its shell.  See example photo:

walnuts-for-healthy-hair-1.jpg

Enter Here:

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/110902-object-of-the-fortnight-2-–-unshelled-walnut/

In the hopes of inspiring you (or possibly giving you a laugh), here's a short cartoon I enjoyed when I was a kid.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041112/

• Upvote 4

bp-sig.png

• 2 weeks later...

The deadline to submit for your Walnut approacheth.  We have about 39 hours to go.

A big Thank You to all those you have already submitted entries... competitions are no fun without actual competitors. :D

bp-sig.png

• 2 weeks later...

For 'Object of the Fortnight #3', Woodsy has chosen: Baseball.  As in the actual ball itself, not the sport in general.

Additionally, at his request, it must not have any labels (that includes "Babe Ruth" signatures :P).  We don't want people voting based on fancy labels; we want them to vote on the object itself.  Remember, you can link to an alternative version with your fancy label, but that version won't officially be part of your competition entry.

Another video, just for fun.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108037/

bp-sig.png

I notice most current entries don't adhere to the rules of no labels and no background. Though I have no problem with the "no labels" rule, I wonder if the "no background" should be modified for this particular topic to allow a colored background or perhaps a simple gradient. Baseballs are close to white, so they might not be best displayed against the white background that results when the background is transparent. (Though, as the Wikipedia baseball picture illustrates, with the right shading, a baseball against a white background can still be effective.)

(Also, a gentle reminder to dipstick: As attractive as the Blender-rendered baseball may be, Blender is not 100% PDN.)

• Upvote 1

Yes, please follow the established rules. There are reasons behind each one them.

Please review the rules, and bring your entries up to qualifying standards before the deadline. Unqualified entries will not be accepted into the poll.

In regards to rule #1:

If your baseball is not able to be displayed on white, then (and only then) you may use a solid grayscale color for the background.

I'm not sure grayscale is the right word here, but in other words: off-white, any level of grayness, or black.

As I've said before, I don't want to be the dictator of the rules. If you disagree, you may state your case and we can discuss it.

bp-sig.png

• 2 weeks later...

I was contemplating choosing one of my entries (probably the dirty version) and dropping the other, since they're so similar. I didn't realize the poll would begin so soon. I don't have much intuitive feeling for different timezones. I might have kept them both, anyway.