toe_head2001

Object of the Fortnight – Discussion thread

I think we've lost sight of the original intent of this competition:

On 12/18/2016 at 5:03 AM, toe_head2001 said:

Ideally, the object would be something without too much complexity in its structure.

e.g. banana, Christmas tree ornament, CD, book, wood sign, mug

My 2 cents on the matter.

2 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

I think we've lost sight of the original intent of this competition:

My 2 cents on the matter.

Fair enough, please let someone else pick the topic,. I was asked by @Pixey to think of one, and off the top of my head it was all that I could think of!

My 2 cents also. I wish I had never begun hosting this comp now. 

FWIW, it seems the objects chosen have increased in complexity, which is logical when you consider most of us are constantly striving to get better. However, a complex object could be off-putting for a rookie.

At the risk of getting pelted with tomatoes, would it be possible to split this contest into "beginner" and "more advanced" categories?

You're not getting enough entries now and you want to split it up?

I don't think that's gonna work.

The reason I don't participate (other than the fact that I have no skillz) is that it already takes me hours to make an entry for the SotW contest... I can't even imagine how long it would take me to make a larger piece like an OofF entry.

7 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

You're not getting enough entries now and you want to split it up?

I don't think that's gonna work.

I know, it does seem like Wonderland logic when put that way. My thinking was that beginners might be intimidated by complex objects and might respond to a simpler contest, while more advanced users might welcome a challenge.

But yeah, if not enough people enter anyway....

I think both the radio and the tennis racket theme fall within the original intent. The difficulty with the tennis racket theme is all in the details. Among other things, it's really hard to produce the rounded cross-section of the frame, and the way the string holes are evenly arranged around the oval head adds considerable complexity. I gave it a little thought, and couldn't come up with a good approach. (As I mentioned before, Pixey's entry was beyond impressive.)

I expect the radio theme will attract quite a few entries. Radios are more straight-forwardly geometric. I have some ideas already, and hope to submit an entry. The only question I might have about the theme in regard to the original intent of OOTF is that it allows such a wide variety of entries. I'm not sure that's really a criticism, though, since I'm not sure to what degree the competition should be about producing the same thing. There's an advantage to limited themes, which allow more direct comparisons -- so it's not comparing apples to oranges (which is why "apple" is a better theme than "fruit.") However, I think it would be challenging to come up with enough limited-variation themes. It would pretty much confine the themes to natural objects, since most man-made objects come in many different forms.

3 hours ago, Pixey said:

I vote for @LionsDragon to pick the theme and then we can get this on the road again :D

2 hours ago, DrewDale said:

I vote for @LionsDragon to be the host. I'm sick to the back teeth of this comp before it even gets going again. 

*facepalm* I vote I learn to keep my big mouth shut.

Thank you again @MJW - I used the Shape Maker to draw the shape of the tennis racquet, and thus used it as a 'stencil' to go back and forth and make the gradients.  The 'plugs' were just rounded ovals and maneuvered into place.

out_LINE.png

I'm really sorry that @DrewDale is upset and I can't really blame him.  It is a fact that we already have dwindling entries in our competitions.  I once suggested that the winner of a comp, sits the next one out, in order to give others a chance - but it wasn't agreed upon.

I am in touch with both @DrewDale and @LionsDragon to see how to go forward with this OOTF.

EDIT:  We are back on track and @DrewDale with start another thread :lol:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

@MJW ... possible tut' ?  

Gotta be one of the most realistic ... as in really realistic ...  things I've ever seen done with PDN

It should be pencilled in for the Galleria

Edited by welshblue

Thank you very much, welshblue! If I can find time, I'll think about writing a tut for it. It's actually mostly just various applications of the Texture Shader and Texture Merger, but I think it might be useful to explain the procedures step by step, since the Texture Merger is such a complex and confusing plugin.

The feature I think turned out best is the ferrule (the metal part that holds the eraser). It actually wasn't too complicated. I made a rectangle of the correct size, then added the little notches in the profile to make the ridges. I duplicated the layer and flipped in both vertically, then horizontally, to make the notches on each side and both ends:

furrule_profile.png

I then ran the Texture Object Rounder. I think I ran a few iterations of the Texture Smoother to smooth it out, then used rectangular selections to trim the very ends a tiny bit (followed by Transparent  to Transparent Black).   I generated a vertical grid, blurred it slightly, and mapped it horizontally in onto the center of the rounded ferrule. I made a texture map consisting of three white-on-black blurred dots, then used the Texture Merger to subtract them to produce the indentations on each end. The shading was done using the Texture Shader in Reflection Map mode.

The off-angle view was produced using my beta plugin, Texture View Skewer. That's a plugin I would love to make into a released plugin, but can't quite figure out how to make it work the way I'd like it to work.

(I actually made the ferrule slightly too long, and resized in the final shaded image using Move Selected Pixels. Very kludgy! I intend to fix it in original height maps, but was afraid I might not get around to it before the submission deadline.)

• Like 1

I concur - what a fabulous pencil and I've always wished that @MJW would do more tutorials, as his plugins are fantastic.  I play with them all the time, but I'm sure I don't know half of their potential :D

I've got to grips with Texture Shader, will have to practice with Texture Merger because the ferrule is excellent.

Was playing with Texture View Skewer earlier ... made a passable slate/ stone texture but I think I'm using it wrong :D

Thanks for the insight @MJW

@welshblue, to use the Texture View Skewer:

Before running the Texture Shader on a height map:

Duplicate the height map layer (to save it for later use).

Run the Texture Shader on the top layer.

Copy the unshaded height map to the clipboard.

Run the Texture View Skewer on the shaded image, making sure the Use Clipboard for Texture Map option is selected.

For computational reasons, the Texture View Skewer always moves the viewpoint to the left. If, as is commonly the case, you want the viewpoint to be downward, then before copying the height map to the clipboard, rotate the entire image clockwise, and after running the Texture View Skewer, rotate it back counterclockwise.

If you have multiple shaded layers, copy the merged shaded image into the clipboard, then paste it into a new layer or image.

Disable the shaded layers, and enable the height map layers.

Copy the merged height-map image into the clipboard.

Run the Texture View Skewer on the merged shaded image.

(The point being, you need to run the View Skewer on the merged shaded image, using the merged height maps.)

I always run Transparent to Transparent Black before running any plugin that might be affected by the height of transparent pixels.

The biggest problem with the Texture View Skewer is that it doesn't foreshorten or perspectively converge the skewed image, so that has to be done as a post-processing step. I'm trying to come up with a method to combine that into the plugin.

(The current the Texture View Skewer is something of a hack, but I've used it a lot.)

• Like 1

Someone just PM'd me to say that my red shoe looked too perfect to have been made in PDN and accused me of using a Stock Image.  I could not add the .xaml of the shoe I outlined in my PM back to them, so I am adding it here for them to see that I outlined a red shoe from a picture - found on the web - and made the shape in Shape Maker and then I colored it myself.

I attach the PDN for the proof:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4wust7y6sktqvdl/2nd before flatten.pdn?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dkhz3bp4fdm2s24/RED SHOE.xaml?dl=0

I hope this settles this :)

Jeez!  We all know what an accomplished artist you are @Pixey and you would never...

Guess what?  I made a ShapeMaker shoe outline, too.  Don't see how a shoe could be made any other way... (you just 'colored' your better)  ;)

• Upvote 1

Maybe post a link to the image so that the OP can see that there's just an outline and no similarity to the stock image ?

Hoops.  And jumping through them ...

46 minutes ago, welshblue said:

Maybe post a link to the image so that the OP can see that there's just an outline and no similarity to the stock image ?

Hoops.  And jumping through them ...

But it IS similar to the stock image - that's why the OP complained thinking it was stock   I made it exactly like it in PDN.  Is that not allowed?   That's why I've attached the PDN with all my layers.

I take the meaning of "No Stock allowed" to mean that you don't just copy and paste an image.  Am I wrong?  If so I will remove the entry as I "imitated" the shoe in PDN.

P.S.  Also, in case anyone thought I used stock for the Tennis Racquet, here is the PDN:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zcj5p8k9islajb5/before flatten.pdn?dl=0

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pixey said:

I made it exactly like it in PDN

The only people who can make a shoe from scratch ... are cobblers.

I can make a lot of things in PDN but must admit I wouldn't know how to make a shoe without using reference images.

I'm not the host ... but please don't pull it ... it looks cool.  I'd wear it. :D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@Pixey please don't pull your entry! If you're the only person that has used a stock image as an example I'll eat your shoe. ;)

Edited by Woodsy
  • Like 1

I clarified this point in the past:

On 4/4/2017 at 3:29 PM, toe_head2001 said:

You can use any image for reference, just don't use it in your image. That is to say, re-create it using paint.net; no copy & paste.

Ref: https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/110796-object-of-the-fortnight-–-discussion-thread/?do=findComment&comment=529401

As far I as I know, the rules haven't changed.

Thank you @toe_head2001 ;) That's exactly how I made it .... I re-created the shoe in PDN.  (Sorry I'm out of Reps right now.)