Object of the Fortnight - Discussion thread.

toe_head2001

9 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Are animated 'objects' acceptable?

Yes!  I think animated images in any of the competitions are allowed :)

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

7 hours ago, Vagabondi said:

1. Select your planet.

2. Add new Layer.

3. Effects > Render > Random Shape Fill (from this pack). Shape = Circles, Number and Size = up to you, Fill Color = Primary, Outline Color = None.

4. Effect > Distort > Dents (Refraction about 2-3) to slightly change their shape.

5. Gaussian Blur = 2.

6. Effects > Object > Bevel Object (Depth 2-3, uncheck "Keep original image").

7. Adjustments > Invert colors.

You can adjust their opacity (Layers properties menu) and add some form (Effects > Distort > Bulge 10-20) if necessary.

Thanks @Vagabondi! Good luck to you and all who are taking part in the competition. These are fun :)

Click HERE to see my Pictorium of images I have worked on.

lMbNWe.png

You were once wild here. Don't let them tame you.

~ Isadora Duncan

WOW @Drydareelin that planet with the rings is amazing. Fantastic artistry! My rings now look like dust bunnies compared to your Bugs Bunny lol.

• Like 1

lMbNWe.png

~ Isadora Duncan

4 hours ago, Ladybug said:

WOW @Drydareelin that planet with the rings is amazing. Fantastic artistry! My rings now look like dust bunnies compared to your Bugs Bunny lol.

It took me far too long to come up with a new way of making them. The one in my old tutorial is a touch outdated, maybe I'll make a new one sometime when I've refined the technique :)

1 minute ago, Drydareelin said:

It took me far too long to come up with a new way of making them. The one in my old tutorial is a touch outdated, maybe I'll make a new one sometime when I've refined the technique :)

That would be great @Drydareelin.  Been having fun learning new techniques by following the tutorials on here.

lMbNWe.png

~ Isadora Duncan

On 11/20/2020 at 11:28 AM, Pixey said:

Planet-2.png

@Pixey, each time I look at this it reminds me of cream cheese and blueberries.

• Haha 2

lMbNWe.png

~ Isadora Duncan

@BoltBait I really like the last entries where you have it in both transparent and black background. That grey surface is very unique.

lMbNWe.png

~ Isadora Duncan

@VagabondiOnce again those planets with rings are my favorite. That last entry is amazing! I love the blue color and how you incorporated the same blue from the rings onto the planet's surface.

lMbNWe.png

~ Isadora Duncan

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, whenever one of the moderators has time, can one of you delete please my first entry on the OOTF entries for the CD-DVD competition? I saw a weird line on my image so I took care of it and tried editing my existing post but the system kept saying I could not post an empty post, even though I had uploaded the new one after deleting the first one. Anyway, thank you very much in advance.

lMbNWe.png

~ Isadora Duncan

1 minute ago, Ladybug said:

Hello, whenever one of the moderators has time, can one of you delete please my first entry on the OOTF entries for the CD-DVD competition?

Done.

• Like 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

@mottoman not even duct tape can fix that CD to be able to get the data back (ha-ha). Great take on the theme and I like the golden shine.

lMbNWe.png

~ Isadora Duncan

1 hour ago, Ladybug said:

@mottoman not even duct tape can fix that CD to be able to get the data back (ha-ha). Great take on the theme and I like the golden shine.

😂 Thanks @Ladybug a sharp knife is all that is needed to "cut and paste" 

• Like 1

HFuQlot.png

Really like your witches CD cover @Vagabondi. It looks so real. Makes me curious to know what they play lol.

lMbNWe.png

~ Isadora Duncan

58 minutes ago, Ladybug said:

It looks so real. Makes me curious to know what they play

They are real. The Witches did exist.

EDIT: I better hide them cause it is not the Music thread. 😉

Edited by Vagabondi
link instead of video

signature.png.ebe2dec8b8faab2aa57630b352

my gallery is  here

• 2 weeks later...

@ardneh Sorry, but that toast you entered is not allowable.  Also, If you want to comment, please don't do it in the entry thread, instead come to this area for that.  Thanks.

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

9 minutes ago, Pixey said:

@ardneh Sorry, but that toast you entered is not allowable.  Also, If you want to comment, please don't do it in the entry thread, instead come to this area for that.  Thanks.

You do know I have almost worn the arrow point of me little cursor completely out----tiring to pick up the corner of the  drop down menu, to see what was wrong with the toast.   THEN, finally, I realized out what you meant---Doh 🤣

Scooter

Age is only  a number --in my case a Really BIG number, but there you have it

When the prefect paint.net image is created, I will still be wondering "How they Do that?"- sigh☺️

The original (illegal) comment I posted with the image was:

WOW. All these awesome plugins really make things easy! 

Sadly, I haven't been able to get the plugin to render the Jam fully. 😥

Whipped Cream and Anchovies don't work either. 😠

But I haven't given up!

(Maybe I should run pdnrepair.exe)

Edited by ardneh
To Restore the Feudal System
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, ardneh said:

Sadly, I haven't been able to get the plugin to render the Jam fully. 😥

Could you tell me about the Plugin you mention please.  Did you make it yourself?  If so, herein lies a problem which I think we need to discuss.

I'd like people to comment on this.

"If a member makes a Plugin that no one else has, is it fair for the others who do not have access to the Plugin?"

30b8T8B.gif

I am pretty easy going. If someone has the coding ability to create their own plugin, I say more power to them. To me it is kind of like PDN  expertise. Some have more than others do.

lMbNWe.png

~ Isadora Duncan

4 hours ago, Pixey said:

I'd like people to comment on this.

I have no issues with private plugins being used so long as the plugin plays by the 'rules' AND the plugin is released following the comp. I think MJW does this. Here are a couple of plugins which reference comps....

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/108875-hot-metal-glow/

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/116830-vanishing-trails/

And I think this one...

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/110896-average-object-color/

If a comp theme inspires a new plugin, I think it only fair the plugin author gets to use it. CodeLab is, after all, a PDN tool which anyone is free to install. Yes it requires specific knowledge, but then so do Alpha Mask, Shape 3D, ShapeMaker and Texture Object Shader.

• Upvote 1

I don't believe there is a plugin.  I think the picture was made as a joke about how easy Paint.NET is to use because it has so many plugins.

Now, it did feature a picture of toast, so technically it MIGHT be allowed in the contest.

HOWEVER...

The contest rules say that the object should be alone in the image without a dialog box covering it (even if it is a fake dialog box).  So, maybe it should be disallowed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

My Rubber Stamp plugin was also created for a competition. 😀

As for using non-public plugins for a competition entry:

I agree with what @Ladybug said.

I also don't think using a non-public plugin gives anyone an unfair advantage.   I could hypothetically create a plugin to do some-cool-thing, but there are, without a doubt, plenty of people who could create a much better entry using alternative techniques... simply because they are more artistically inclined than me.  That's their advantage over me, but likewise, it not an unfair one.

I'm not naturally inclined in the realm of art, but I could take the time to learn and develop my artistic abilities. It would probably take many years of practice, but I choose to not a make it a priority in my life.  The same can be said about plugins: people could take to time to learn to make a plugin, if they made it a high enough priority.

At the end of the day, I appreciate anyone willing to share their knowledge about artistic techniques and/or plugins. But if they don't want to share, that's their prerogative.

That's my 2 cents. Feel free to disagree.

I don't enter many competitions these days, so you don't need to give my opinion a lot of weight here.  The opinions that matter most in this decision are the opinions that belong to the people actively participating in the OotF competitions.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab