How to Install Plugins ×

ShapeMaker - by the Dwarf Horde v1.7.0.4 (May 21, 2022)

toe_head2001

15 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

... If so, are you willing to provide Translations for your language?

Yes.

• Upvote 1

Alright, we have @ReMake working on Russian and @ingwer working on German.

If anyone else wishes to contribute a translation, send me a PM, and I'll get you set up.

I'll be accepting translations indefinitely.

These will be in the next major version (v1.5), whenever that gets released.

• Upvote 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

• 3 months later...
On 19/05/2017 at 1:38 AM, toe_head2001 said:

the next major version (v1.5)

Quit teasing. It's been three months!

I've been spending a lot of time inside this plugin and find it amazing at times. One question - Is it designed to allow the import of more than one shape at a time? It does seem to work well but once in awhile the nubs get a little mixed up. There are times when exporting the shape - it increases the grid to 1000X1000 which results in a file that cannot be imported back into Shapemaker.

About the next version - here's my wish list

a ) An increase snap to grid size - scalable would be nice - anything from .10 to .25 would allow more detailed shapes

b ) A larger canvas than 500 than 500

c ) A higher zoom as well for these old eyes :)

d ) the rotation knob could use a snap to 5 degree increments - or a slider control that allows arrow key adjustments.

Hopefully some of these are already in the works. I think you guys like challenges as well. Thanks for reading.

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

43 minutes ago, AndrewDavid said:

Quit teasing. It's been three months!

And very little has been done in those three months. :(

5 minutes ago, AndrewDavid said:

Is it designed to allow the import of more than one shape at a time?

Was it designed to allow more than one? It works, so assume it was, but you'd have to ask TR.

7 minutes ago, AndrewDavid said:

It does seem to work well but once in awhile the nubs get a little mixed up.

Mixed up how? Please share the details.

7 minutes ago, AndrewDavid said:

There are times when exporting the shape - it increases the grid to 1000X1000 which results in a file that cannot be imported back into Shapemaker.

Hmm, I wasn't even aware of it increasing the size to 1000x1000. I'll look into what's going on there.

30 minutes ago, AndrewDavid said:

An increase snap to grid size - scalable would be nice - anything from .10 to .25 would allow more detailed shapes

When you're at 8x zoom, the grid has a line for each pixel in the 500x500 canvas.

or perhaps I misunderstood you.

37 minutes ago, AndrewDavid said:

A higher zoom as well for these old eyes

Do you want to zoom into the canvas more, or do what the Path lines to be thicker?

39 minutes ago, AndrewDavid said:

the rotation knob could use a snap to 5 degree increments - or a slider control that allows arrow key adjustments.

Since we're already using the Shift key to snap to 15 degrees, you could use the Alt key for 5 degrees.

There shouldn't be any reason why we couldn't use the Arrow keys on the knob.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png

2 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

Mixed up how? Please share the details.

Create a shape with Circles. 3 or 4 should be enough. Save as Shape. Rotate the current shape 30°. Import the shape you just saved and see how it renames the circles. At least that is what I remember it doing. It considers all circles as ellipses. Also when you have a series of ellipses and (MZ)Ellipses - moving them changes their label but doesn't effect the shape.

When you're at 8x zoom, the grid has a line for each pixel in the 500x500 canvas.

or perhaps I misunderstood you.

You can set reference points to decimal places. a snap to grid at .25 would ensure lines are even each side of the shape. There is no dialogue in the screen view to see the decimal. Once saved as XAML file and opened in notepad - you can see the decimal places. 

zoom into the canvas more

a 16X zoom is what I meant.

Good luck with the knob thing.

I'm sure we will all be around for awhile in anticipation of the next update.

You all did a wonderful job with fixing the 3DShape plugin.

Shapemaker is one of the best plugins of Paint.Net.

Thanks for you time. B)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AndrewDavid said:

Create a shape with Circles. 3 or 4 should be enough. Save as Shape. Rotate the current shape 30°. Import the shape you just saved and see how it renames the circles.

Wow... importing of Ellipses from shape files is just broken.

You can set reference points to decimal places. a snap to grid at .25 would ensure lines are even each side of the shape.

Okay, I see. I investigate this, and see if it makes sense to implement. There's at least two other bugs in regards to decimal points in shape files that will need to be fixed first.

a 16X zoom is what I meant.

I can zoom to any arbitrary zoom-factor by simply changing the integer value, but 16x seems a bit excessive. You'll need to convince me of its merit.

bp-sig.png

4 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

You'll need to convince me of its merit.

If you find changing the decimal place makes sense - 16X would be a valid requirement to get in real close to make those fine adjustments.

Might be overkill but I want it to be the best it can be. If we had a larger canvas it would make sense too.

I am thinking of another plugin like liquefy that allows a 1600X magnification and tells me it should be possible.

Might need Zach's help with that.

Thanks for listening.

Maybe a XMAS present? :mrgreen:

On 8/30/2017 at 4:33 PM, AndrewDavid said:

If you find changing the decimal place makes sense - 16X would be a valid requirement to get in real close to make those fine adjustments.

Might be overkill but I want it to be the best it can be. If we had a larger canvas it would make sense too.

I am thinking of another plugin like liquefy that allows a 1600X magnification and tells me it should be possible.

Might need Zach's help with that.

Thanks for listening.

Maybe a XMAS present? :mrgreen:

Or maybe just allow importing svg files.  Inkscape is what I typically use for detailed vector graphic creation, and since it already lets you do all of that, if means the horde can focus on making the UI for the plugin great.

drakaan sig jan 2020.png

Hi @toe_head2001

Messages won't let me attach zip file

Zip file contains both project file and exported shape to show problem rendering still exists. Before I correct it, I am sending you the files to see if you can determine why it is distorting when exported to the shape. When printing from the project file it renders correctly. At least this narrows it down. B)

Note 2

Edited by AndrewDavid
Removed Uploads

On 9/9/2017 at 7:20 PM, AndrewDavid said:

Zip file contains both project file and exported shape to show problem rendering still exists. Before I correct it, I am sending you the files to see if you can determine why it is distorting when exported to the shape. When printing from the project file it renders correctly. At least this narrows it down. B)

Sorry for the delay. The CPU on my Windows computer died, and I had to setup a VM on my laptop to look at your files properly.

I don't know what a lot of this means. Like "Printing"... do you mean to say when using the 'Draw on Canvas' checkbox?

Please use the same terminology that's used in the plugin; it will make things so much less ambiguous.

Is the Shape correct in the .dhp file, but not the xaml file?

bp-sig.png

2 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

The CPU on my Windows computer died

All good things..... No worries - No Rush

2 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

do you mean to say when using the 'Draw on Canvas' checkbox

Yes

3 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

Is the Shape correct in the .dhp file, but not the xaml file

Yes

Hope you understand Note 2. B)

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to select several paths and move them somewhere else?

For example, I would like to duplicate the flower and move the entire flower to another location. At the moment I can do it only one path at a time.

shapemaker-move-paths-5358e34.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lynxster4 said:

Very nice shape @Eli   I see you got everything worked out!   ;)

Thanks  @lynxster4. I tried probably twenty times till I got what I wanted. Many times the cutouts were okay but when I added other paths they got filled. I would remove the paths I added but the cutouts were still filled. I had to start again so many times that I almost got frustrated. But I think  I will have a better grasp the more I use it. :) 

3 hours ago, Eli said:

But I think  I will have a better grasp the more I use it. :) 

Yes, there is quite a learning curve with this plugin.  But, before you know it, you'll be a pro!  :P

I've posted a small bugfix release to address the issue with Shape import/export for European locales. No other changes are included.

Other changes are coming though, but they're still a ways off.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

bp-sig.png

• 1 year later...

Awesome tool and tutorials, toe_head2001! I'm new to paint.net and have started using it to make a floorplan for my house. I specifically chose paint.net for its layer feature, since I'll be putting in electrical circuit items (like outlets and lights), 1 layer per circuit. I just started using Shape Maker to create a custom symbol palette of these electrical symbols.

But I've run into a snag... how can I make a shape in Shape Maker (or otherwise) with a letter inside it, without having to draft the letter using splines? For example, a circle with a J inside it, as drawn below. I know I can make this in the main paint.net canvas by drawing a circle and using text tool to write a J, but I'd like to have a repeatable, scalable shape of it.

image.png.e49ae8b9d5f9a76f02555f0341b2da00.png

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Hi @spanky

Welcome to the forum. I don't believe Shapemaker has access to fonts. I do believe you need to draft the letter using the available splines. 

Have you had a look at this collection from another user using those types of symbols?

Hope this helps :)

There are fonts which provide encircled digits. Wingdings I think. So there must be other fonts which do the same with letters. Once you've installed such a font, insert the characters with my WhchSymbol+ plugin (link in my sig).

Edit: Wingdings confirmed. See screenshot of plugin UI which actually shows them.

The other option is to cut & paste Unicode characters into pdn's text tool. Here's a link to the relevant codes https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enclosed_Alphanumerics

• 5 weeks later...

I feel like I am asking a dumb question, so here goes.  I finally downloaded the ShapeMaker plug-in so I can create masks.  I would like to know if it is possible to copy an object from a layer, launch ShapeMaker on a transparent layer, and use the clipboard as a background for me to create my shapes.

What I like about ShapeMaker is I can finally create masks similar to how some Photoshoppers use the pen tool to create path to mask out unwanted object(s).  I don't know why it took me so long to download and use it.