Brush Factory v2.0 (August 8th, 2020)

I was curious about these errors, so I opened Brush Factory this morning, and I too see the error messages. Running Windows 10 20H2.

I'm using IUserFilesService in a few of my plugins, and it's working fine in those.

I'll take a look at what's going on in the Brush Factory source code later tonight when I get back from work.

• Upvote 1
13 hours ago, Joshua Lamusga said:

Try this if you're having the settings problem ~~~

Try creating a folder exactly called paint.net User Files in your Documents folder at  "C:\Users\your_name\Documents\" (where your_name is your current username...

The name of this folder is localized (translated), so that suggestion will only work for English.

I would have them click on Open Palettes Folder and see how well that works. It will automatically create all the folders if possible:

image.png

• Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

@Joshua Lamusga, IUserFilesService is working correctly in this plugin; it returns the directory path without issue.

The problem arises when checking if BrushFactorySettings.xml exists in that directory. If the XML file doesn't exist, then your code throws an exception. To make matters worse, the plugin won't ever create the XML file, because an instance of BrushFactorySettings never gets initialized.

Edited by toe_head2001
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3
4 hours ago, Daralima said:

when I add a custom (png if that matters) brush, when I turn colorize brush off, it only uses the same general texture, not the same colors?

If you use a perfectly opaque image as a brush, Brush Factory will use the intensity of the image (V in HSV) as transparency.

If you use an image with any pixel that isn't perfectly opaque, Brush Factory will use the transparency information of the image.

Being PNG or not doesn't affect this behavior. I'm guessing you're using a perfectly opaque image. Hope that helps. If not, you'll need to clarify and provide an image.

Untitled.png.28dedeebdce78c42589f24716981923f.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2020 at 9:57 AM, Allen Shau said:

Manually creating a file named C:\Users\(you)\Documents\paint.net User Files\BrushFactorySettings.xml works for me.

----- begin of BrushFactorySettings.xml -----

<BrushFactorySettings xmlns:i="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
</BrushFactorySettings>

----- end of BrushFactorySettings.xml -----

Yeah, that fixed it for me too but I'm still missing those:

Unbenannt.PNG