Brush Factory v2.0 (August 8th, 2020)

13 hours ago, Joshua Lamusga said:

Try this if you're having the settings problem ~~~

Try creating a folder exactly called paint.net User Files in your Documents folder at  "C:\Users\your_name\Documents\" (where your_name is your current username...

The name of this folder is localized (translated), so that suggestion will only work for English.

I would have them click on Open Palettes Folder and see how well that works. It will automatically create all the folders if possible:

image.png

• Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

@Joshua Lamusga, IUserFilesService is working correctly in this plugin; it returns the directory path without issue.

The problem arises when checking if BrushFactorySettings.xml exists in that directory. If the XML file doesn't exist, then your code throws an exception. To make matters worse, the plugin won't ever create the XML file, because an instance of BrushFactorySettings never gets initialized.

Edited by toe_head2001
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Manually creating a file named C:\Users\(you)\Documents\paint.net User Files\BrushFactorySettings.xml works for me.

----- begin of BrushFactorySettings.xml -----

<BrushFactorySettings xmlns:i="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
</BrushFactorySettings>

----- end of BrushFactorySettings.xml -----

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Daralima said:

when I add a custom (png if that matters) brush, when I turn colorize brush off, it only uses the same general texture, not the same colors?

If you use a perfectly opaque image as a brush, Brush Factory will use the intensity of the image (V in HSV) as transparency.

If you use an image with any pixel that isn't perfectly opaque, Brush Factory will use the transparency information of the image.

Being PNG or not doesn't affect this behavior. I'm guessing you're using a perfectly opaque image. Hope that helps. If not, you'll need to clarify and provide an image.

Untitled.png.28dedeebdce78c42589f24716981923f.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2020 at 9:57 AM, Allen Shau said:

Manually creating a file named C:\Users\(you)\Documents\paint.net User Files\BrushFactorySettings.xml works for me.

----- begin of BrushFactorySettings.xml -----

<BrushFactorySettings xmlns:i="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
</BrushFactorySettings>

----- end of BrushFactorySettings.xml -----

Yeah, that fixed it for me too but I'm still missing those:

Unbenannt.PNG

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am having issues with the "use clipboard as background" feature within Brush Factory.

I am finding that my clipboard image is being copied through but only a clipped version of it appears in Brush Factory. I have tried experimenting with this a bit further and find that having my image in the first quarter of my canvas pulls the image through completely but when I proceed to use a brush and click ok to exit BF, the produced brush does not line up as it did within BF. 

Any suggestions? Would be grateful for any help with this. Thanks.

Apologies if I am doing this post wrong with the pictures. Long time user of PDN but never had to use the forum.

Attempt 1_Canvas Before BF.JPG

Attempt 1_in BF.JPG

Attempt 2_Canvas Before BF.JPG

Attempt 2_in BF.JPG

Attempt 2_Result.JPG

Edited by pdn_user999
reorder images
8 hours ago, pdn_user999 said:

Hi, I am having issues with the "use clipboard as background" feature within Brush Factory.

I am finding that my clipboard image is being copied through but only a clipped version of it appears in Brush Factory. I have tried experimenting with this a bit further and find that having my image in the first quarter of my canvas pulls the image through completely but when I proceed to use a brush and click ok to exit BF, the produced brush does not line up as it did within BF. 

Any suggestions? Would be grateful for any help with this. Thanks.

Apologies if I am doing this post wrong with the pictures. Long time user of PDN but never had to use the forum.

I tried different canvas to background image sizes, and the background image always stretched to the canvas as it should. I'm not sure why the image isn't growing/shrinking to fit the canvas. If you can start over from scratch, and meticulously list everything you do to get this problematic behavior to occur, I could hopefully follow those steps to get a better idea what the cause might be so I can fix it.

On 3/6/2021 at 9:01 AM, pdn_user999 said:

Any suggestions?

Are you running multiple monitors, monitor management software, or a setup which use different DPI settings on your monitors?

I'm asking these questions because there may be a DPI or scaling issue there somewhere.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Are you running multiple monitors, monitor management software, or a setup which use different DPI settings on your monitors?

I'm asking these questions because there may be a DPI or scaling issue there somewhere.

Hi, no, I am doing this on my laptop. No other screens connected. 

On 3/6/2021 at 4:53 AM, Joshua Lamusga said:

I tried different canvas to background image sizes, and the background image always stretched to the canvas as it should. I'm not sure why the image isn't growing/shrinking to fit the canvas. If you can start over from scratch, and meticulously list everything you do to get this problematic behavior to occur, I could hopefully follow those steps to get a better idea what the cause might be so I can fix it.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I will have a fresh run through this today. I will also try restarting my laptop incase that has anything to do with it. I will update you once I have had a chance to do this. Thanks. 

• Upvote 1
On 3/6/2021 at 4:53 AM, Joshua Lamusga said:

Hi Joshua,

I had another go at making this happen last night after restarting my PC. However, the results were no different.

My steps are as below:

1. Open image saved on my computer

2. Copy layer (where image sits)

3. Create new layer

4. Effects>Tools>Brush Factory

5. On opening BF, I tend to always get this error msg "Brush Factory (Version 2.0) Your custom brushes could not be loaded. You can try defining them again." - which I always click ok.

6. Right click on transparent space and select "Use clipboard image as background". After this I get a zoomed in and clipped version of the clipboard image.

Since trying this a number of times and with different images, I notice the canvas size tends to be the same with the BF canvas size which I would say makes sense. However, when I right click and select to use clipboard image as background, it seems to be scaling the image disproportionately on my device for some reason (like images in my previous post for example) instead of pasting the exact image from clipboard.

Hope this helps. If you need details about my PC or OS, I am using PDN on a Windows 10 Laptop. 

Thank you.

On 3/8/2021 at 6:48 PM, ardneh said:

I was able to reproduce the problem by setting Scaling in Windows to 125%.
jyJxS6.png

After setting Scaling to 100% the problem remained until I closed and reopened Paint.net.

Hi Ardneh, thanks for your suggestion. I played with this idea too earlier on. My laptop is set to 150% by default in Windows. But even with changing the settings to 100% (with everything really small) as you did, it did not make a difference for the two issues I raised including this one. 

11 hours ago, pdn_user999 said:

Hi Ardneh, thanks for your suggestion. I played with this idea too earlier on. My laptop is set to 150% by default in Windows. But even with changing the settings to 100% (with everything really small) as you did, it did not make a difference for the two issues I raised including this one. 

Thanks for the detailed steps. I can't reproduce the error with them, so I'm wondering what your screen resolution is, and if you could attach the image or an image with the same dimensions so I can try these steps with that.

On 3/11/2021 at 12:30 AM, Joshua Lamusga said:

Thanks for the detailed steps. I can't reproduce the error with them, so I'm wondering what your screen resolution is, and if you could attach the image or an image with the same dimensions so I can try these steps with that.

My screen resolution is 1920 x 1080. Sample image attached.

sample image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I experience a crash when I attempt to execute the effect from the tools menu. Hope it's okay I attached a crash log. I'd love to figure out how to get some brushes going so I can paint tentacles for a Twitch overlay design idea. pdncrash.7.log

x0x20HJ.pngTZ7aY3b.png

Hello @T E A L you can run your crash log through the gizmo we have here: 

I ran it for you and it shows that you are running an older version of paint.net.  Please update to the latest version to avoid crashes :)

• Like 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.