How to Install Plugins ×

Dynamic Draw v3.3 (7/3/22)

NinthDesertDude

1 hour ago, ScrapbookWithPDN said:

Holy Cow! You're a friggin genius! Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this to me. I'll take a screen shot of it.!  I'm grateful for your time.

@Joshua Lamusga is the genius for creating this plugin, I just contribute a few minor changes here and there.

I edited my previous post to clarify that Brush Factory does not currently support the color palette functionality.

• Like 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

12 hours ago, null54 said:

I just contribute a few minor changes here and there

Yeah, like this release.

Version 1.7 is released.

Null54 has been steadily plugging away to deliver these features to you guys. While I've been busy, he added these features:

- A larger image view for selecting brushes, with the add brushes button moved out and placed below the view

- Fixed a transparency bug that was bad enough I'd hesitate to draw translucently on a blank canvas

- The interface doesn't totally freeze while loading brushes anymore

- Settings are now saved to a file instead of Windows registry.

I was fairly busy recently and I found some time on weekends to make tweaks:

- The max brush size is now 1000 by request, though it may lag.

- Default brushes load in reverse order.

- "Random max alpha" was removed because it was useless, hard to fix and redundant with random min alpha, which could be used instead.

- Ctrl + left click and drag to pan instead of middle mouse button, which isn't always convenient (especially on a laptop).

Tell me what you think and report bugs you find. I'm expecting a few about migrating from registry to a file, or loading brushes.

Edited by Joshua Lamusga
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Joshua Lamusga said:

- Ctrl + left click and drag to pan instead of middle mouse button, which isn't always convenient (especially on a laptop).

Why not both? I like to pan with the middle mouse button.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

1 hour ago, toe_head2001 said:

Why not both? I like to pan with the middle mouse button.

Okay, I added it back in. I didn't think anyone actually used the middle mouse button to pan, but maybe that's because mine's been broken for a good while.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Joshua Lamusga said:

Yeah, like this release.

Version 1.7 is released.

Null54 has been steadily plugging away to deliver these features to you guys. While I've been busy, he added these features:

- A larger image view for selecting brushes, with the add brushes button moved out and placed below the view

- Fixed a transparency bug that was bad enough I'd hesitate to draw translucently on a blank canvas

- "Random max alpha" was removed because it was useless, hard to fix and redundant with random min alpha, which could be used instead.

Tell me what you think and report bugs you find. I'm expecting a few about migrating from registry to a file, or loading brushes.

Thank you for increasing the size of the brushes!! (and above all else, for your time) I remember the days when some of the other features of PDN took  bit of time...eventually, many of them were able to become faster, for whatever reasons, and one thing I have learned at this forum, for PDN; just because it seems impossible or impractical, doesn't mean it is impossible or impractical, because so many of you smart people have learned there are many ways to skin a cat....and a lot of thinking outside the box. That can work wonders, and has.

6 hours ago, Joshua Lamusga said:

Yeah, like this release.

Version 1.7 is released.

Hi, Josh, I just installed the newest version 1.7 xx...I didn't use it on every setting, just the main ones. In case it helps, there was no lagging. If you need the specs for the no big deal Dell I used it on, I can give them to you. If you can increase the brush size even more, that's fine. If not, I understand. I just made a beautiful digital paper using the watercolor brushes, 300dpi setting 12" x 12" (3600 pixels x 3600 pixels...I think). I haven't noticed anything buggy so far, in my limited use. You made an incredible plugin. Thank you.

Edited by ScrapbookWithPDN
spelling

UPDATE:

6 hours ago, Joshua Lamusga said:

Okay, I added it back in. I didn't think anyone actually used the middle mouse button to pan, but maybe that's because mine's been broken for a good while.

UPDATE! The increased brush size, for some reason, didn't take effect right away, but it does now! Oh, MAN!! AWESOME! It's WOW!  and no issues. Great job, man! Thank you!

21 hours ago, null54 said:

@Joshua Lamusga is the genius for creating this plugin, I just contribute a few minor changes here and there.

I edited my previous post to clarify that Brush Factory does not currently support the color palette functionality.

So, using Joshua's latest 1.7xx version, the changes are awesome. Regarding the color palette, it picked up the color I had my PDN color palette set to, but when I closed Brush Factory, did something to one of my layers, changed my PDN color palette color, the Brush Factory color palette still remained on the previous color I had my PDN palette set to. If the Brush Factory color palette could read my first color from my PDN color palette, can't it be configured to read the next color I changed the PDN color palette to before reopening Brush Factory? If not, can the Brush Factory color palette have an input for the hex code the PDN palette uses? Otherwise, I'll just have to keep a note pad and keep writing down color changes and enter them that way. Thank you both, Johsh and Null54. If that's how it's gotta be, then that's what I'll do. No complaints.

OK, I just used Brush Factory again, just now, a bit more extensively. It works really well under 96 dpi settings with the increased brush sizes using hi resolution brushes. No lagging that I noticed. When using Brush Factory in 300dpi settings, it still works nice, no lag issues, but the brush size is still really small. The Jitter tab works great, too. I did notice it's a bit quirky in 300 dpi settings to decrease or increase the size of the canvas, but not much. The mouse scrolling doesn't work in 300 dpi like it does in 96 dpi, and I'm with Toe Head about enlarging and decreasing the canvas that way, because it makes it easy to get it adjusted quickly the way you need it without the canvas slider tab being way too sensitive and quick to make the canvas too big or too small. In 300 dpi settings, having to use the tab thing to change the size of the canvas can drive you a bit nutty. It goes too fast and is too big or too small and the mouse center scroll button no longer works to make the canvas bigger or smaller, at least it didn't for me. HOWEVER, I found a way that does it smoothly. If you click and hold the mouse button down, placing the mouse pointer just to the right of that adjustable slider tab, and slide your mouse pointer NOT directly on the slider tab button itself, you can adjust the canvas smoothly that way. Just don't actually click on and hold the slider tab button itself.

If you can make the brushes larger for those using 300 dpi settings (often used for professional printing purposes), since many of mine are hi res brushes, that would be very helpful.

Having said that, and I'm not sure about how others use it, but maybe you could create an alternative Hi Res Brush Factory with a much more increased brush size and completely get rid of the "Color" tab at the top, next to the Jitter tab. I found no reason to use it when playing with it. Of course, maybe it's something important to other users, but for me it was not even needed to make sure I get specific colors using the color palette in or out of Brush Factory.

I hope this has helped.

1 hour ago, ScrapbookWithPDN said:

it's a bit quirky in 300 dpi

I never tested it at 300 dpi and I hear that the framework I use to display the plugin window and all its controls has a lot of DPI scaling issues because DPI was more of an afterthought in the Winforms library. I'm actually not sure how to test at 300 dpi.

Control + Mouse Wheel is the shortcut for zooming in and out, same as PDN itself. You're not suggesting this doesn't work, right? It shouldn't depend on DPI.

You can also press tab a couple times so the canvas zoom slider is active, then use arrow keys or Ctrl + arrow keys to adjust it.

Unrelated side notes: Can't get rid of Color behaviors; I use it in seriousness for e.g. variation in grass color. Fair bet others find it useful. If I made brushes much larger, they would lag so badly that drawing with them would become unbearable and you'd only be able to manage single-clicking.

On 12/11/2016 at 2:20 AM, Eli said:

A mouse speed controller, if I move the mouse too slow the brush will be recreated too many times.

Well, it's been two years but yeah, I've got a solution. Any change to drawBrush() is slow to ensure functionality still works, so I'll have to finish testing tomorrow, but results are positive and I only have obscure edge cases left to test or optimize.

Version 1.8 released

The only change here is mouse speed control, which has a property called brush density and can be changed under the tab called other. It's set to 10 by default, meaning the image is repeated at every 1/10 the width of the actual brush. You can set it to 0 to turn it off and draw like you used to. It's a lot smoother and nicer for the most part, but when you're using large brushes, a really high density, and/or working on a large image, it may create angular lines. So remember you can turn it off if you need to.

I tested all the settings. When turned on with minimum draw distance, the effect is that it draws in line segments at a time. With small brush sizes and horz/vert spray, it has an interesting comb effect. Report bugs and other things. If you find it lags too often, maybe I'll have it off by default.

Edited by Joshua Lamusga
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Joshua Lamusga said:

Version 1.8 released

Your release notes did not include the clipboard background transparency fix.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

Oh yeah, that happened too. Didn't mean to snub you null54. I was again running short on time because it's during the work week; I didn't even update the main picture showing the tabs yet, so I missed that change.

Edited by Joshua Lamusga

• 5 months later...

where is the zipped plugin file put? When I select your download lonk it opens a screen that asks to select a zupfile opener - but unzipper needs to know where it is? Its not in google drive which the URL says it is? Tks

• 8 months later...

I know.... I'm pretty late to the "PdN Plugin Party" 🤣 However I'm hoping you can entertain my brain for a minute or two:

As it stands currently, I seem to have an easier time running/using PdN than any other image editor out there, so I'm trying to gather what plugins I can that I know I've used in Gimp previously.  Brushes are my current mission!  I'm primarily looking for a "grunge" brush or something similar, as well as other similar-looking effects. My project workload includes creating new textures for things like: tattoos on an NPC/Character, wood & metal furnishings as well as hardware pieces (for a door or something similar), etc. I know that stamps/clones and brushes are going to be my primary tools since I've been using mostly brushes (stamp only a couple of times throughout) I'm beyond capable of coping with the extreme limitations that come with PdN as a standard. I know this will make my "ease of use" a little less "at ease" but it's necessary.  So... my question(s):

1- Is there a grunge or similar brush with your Factory 🙂 

2- (if) my short story managed to bring to mind any additional/juicy ideas to [your] mind regarding brushes that I should look at especially... then I'm starving for any tidbits that'll get tossed my way! lol! It all will help make things easier/quicker as I continue my endless search for plugins...

5 hours ago, Punk'n said:

I know.... I'm pretty late to the "PdN Plugin Party" 🤣 However I'm hoping you can entertain my brain for a minute or two:

As it stands currently, I seem to have an easier time running/using PdN than any other image editor out there, so I'm trying to gather what plugins I can that I know I've used in Gimp previously.  Brushes are my current mission!  I'm primarily looking for a "grunge" brush or something similar, as well as other similar-looking effects. My project workload includes creating new textures for things like: tattoos on an NPC/Character, wood & metal furnishings as well as hardware pieces (for a door or something similar), etc. I know that stamps/clones and brushes are going to be my primary tools since I've been using mostly brushes (stamp only a couple of times throughout) I'm beyond capable of coping with the extreme limitations that come with PdN as a standard. I know this will make my "ease of use" a little less "at ease" but it's necessary.  So... my question(s):

1- Is there a grunge or similar brush with your Factory 🙂 

2- (if) my short story managed to bring to mind any additional/juicy ideas to [your] mind regarding brushes that I should look at especially... then I'm starving for any tidbits that'll get tossed my way! lol! It all will help make things easier/quicker as I continue my endless search for plugins...

The Brush Factory support Photoshop brushes file (*.abr) and you can download a bunch of brushes for free from Brusheezy.com.  That website has plenty of grunge brushes for you to explore.

Much appreciated... I'm opening another tab as I "speak-type" lol  but, if  (or rather, if everyone else but me doesn't know already hahaha) anyone else asks you this or a similar question in the future... apparently both PdN and Gimp are able to use .abr Brushes as well --- or at least the ones that I have downloaded and installed including yours  🤘 🎃  sneaky little buggers...

[brief moment to be semi-serial]

... dude... thank you for the referral to Brusheezy, and replying to my question that you [all] probably get pretty regularly even tho the actual questions/answers evaded me enough to prompt asking it myself; as well as my insanely late-in-date compared to the most recent post prior to mine.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

@PixelArt Set smoothing to jagged and make sure you use a brush that has no soft edges at all -- I'm not sure any default brushes do. I included an example above (though uploading the screenshot here probably converted to JPEG and softened the edges).

image.png.ea2d9fde7bab5ebdae93d6c96bca5908.png   image.png.75c5b7ce811cd71b78773734077d951e.png

PixelArt, is this what you mean by "pixel perfect"?

Setting the foreground color with a color picker is very much necessary in pretty much any work I do in Brush Factory, since I use the plugin myself. That work isn't hard and I've created a branch for it. I'll be updating this plugin shortly, likely tomorrow.

@PixelArt
That seems like it would be a custom algorithm that removes the adjacent pixels while drawing. This would be very difficult to do for a brush image, because that would require finding out where all the pixels for each applied image and detecting L shapes to omit changing the corner pixels -- it would be super time consuming, actually. I can see how a pencil tool designed only to draw individual pixels (and not a brush image) would be able to handle this kind of algorithm.

What I can do is try to get brush smoothing. It would still create L shapes when drawing, but it would be less likely to do so since localized jitter is averaged out. I'll let Aseprite keep their custom implementation of the pencil tool.