gradient tool on image

I've got 2 separate images. I want to take one & paste it on the other but before I do that, I'd want to change the colors on it gradient style, but whenever I try using that tool, my image vanishes & all I see are the colors.

What am I doing wrong? Its possible I'm using the wrong tool altogether.

Edited by Rickenbacker

If no selection is active, the gradient tool :GradientTool: will cover all of the active layer.

The trick here is to make a selection first - then apply the gradient ;)

2 hours ago, Rickenbacker said:

...before I do that, I'd want to change the colors on it gradient style,

Perhaps it's only me, but I don't know what you mean by "change the colors on it gradient style." Change the colors it what way? Make them darker? Change the hue? Maybe you could add a little more detail on what you hope to achieve.

1 hour ago, MJW said:

Perhaps it's only me, but I don't know what you mean by "change the colors on it gradient style." Change the colors it what way? Make them darker? Change the hue? Maybe you could add a little more detail on what you hope to achieve.

I have a photo of a face. I want to change the original colors of it & have it go gradually from blue (on the left) to yellow.  

No. Select all (Ctrl + A) will select the entire layer. You want to restrict the gradient to certain parts of the image. You'll need to define those areas with the selection tools

REF: http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/SelectionTools.html

23 minutes ago, Rickenbacker said:

I have a photo of a face. I want to change the original colors of it & have it go gradually from blue (on the left) to yellow.  

I still don't understand. The only way I can see to change the original colors from blue on the left to yellow is to first convert it to grayscale. What does it mean to change green and red to blue? If you convert the image to grayscale, I can see at least two ways it can transition from blue to yellow: the colors can be considered replacements for white, and the value can match the value of the image; or the colors can be considered replacements for black, and the saturation can match the saturation of the original image -- or you might have something entirely different in mind. I suppose you could mean the color image looks like it was viewed through a blue-to-yellow filter. If you have an example of the effect you hope to achieve, that would help.

(Each of the effects I mentioned would be achieved by using layers with different blending modes.)

11 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

Like this?

BYGradient.png

BINGO! & oddly enough, I think I figured it out. (after someone here said to use grayscale 1st) 
I ended up using an already prepared gradient with the colors I wanted, then pasted the face as a new layer on top, but I lightened the opacity of the face. Voila. 
How'd you get *that* brighter look on yours though?

Open up your desired image

Adjustments > Black and White

Adjustments > Brightness / Contrast  (Adjust such that your image goes from solid black to bright white)

Add a new layer

Draw gradient on that layer

On that new layer, edit properties and change the blending mode to Multiply

2 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

Open up your desired image

Adjustments > Black and White

Adjustments > Brightness / Contrast  (Adjust such that your image goes from solid black to bright white)

Add a new layer

Draw gradient on that layer

On that new layer, edit properties and change the blending mode to Multiply

Thank you!