Jump to content

gradient tool on image


Recommended Posts

I've got 2 separate images. I want to take one & paste it on the other but before I do that, I'd want to change the colors on it gradient style, but whenever I try using that tool, my image vanishes & all I see are the colors.

What am I doing wrong? Its possible I'm using the wrong tool altogether.

Edited by Rickenbacker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If no selection is active, the gradient tool :GradientTool: will cover all of the active layer.

 

The trick here is to make a selection first - then apply the gradient ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rickenbacker said:

...before I do that, I'd want to change the colors on it gradient style,

 

Perhaps it's only me, but I don't know what you mean by "change the colors on it gradient style." Change the colors it what way? Make them darker? Change the hue? Maybe you could add a little more detail on what you hope to achieve.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MJW said:

 

Perhaps it's only me, but I don't know what you mean by "change the colors on it gradient style." Change the colors it what way? Make them darker? Change the hue? Maybe you could add a little more detail on what you hope to achieve.

I have a photo of a face. I want to change the original colors of it & have it go gradually from blue (on the left) to yellow.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No. Select all (Ctrl + A) will select the entire layer. You want to restrict the gradient to certain parts of the image. You'll need to define those areas with the selection tools

 

REF: http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/SelectionTools.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Rickenbacker said:

I have a photo of a face. I want to change the original colors of it & have it go gradually from blue (on the left) to yellow.  

 

I still don't understand. The only way I can see to change the original colors from blue on the left to yellow is to first convert it to grayscale. What does it mean to change green and red to blue? If you convert the image to grayscale, I can see at least two ways it can transition from blue to yellow: the colors can be considered replacements for white, and the value can match the value of the image; or the colors can be considered replacements for black, and the saturation can match the saturation of the original image -- or you might have something entirely different in mind. I suppose you could mean the color image looks like it was viewed through a blue-to-yellow filter. If you have an example of the effect you hope to achieve, that would help.

 

(Each of the effects I mentioned would be achieved by using layers with different blending modes.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

 

Like this?

 

BYGradient.png

BINGO! & oddly enough, I think I figured it out. (after someone here said to use grayscale 1st) 
I ended up using an already prepared gradient with the colors I wanted, then pasted the face as a new layer on top, but I lightened the opacity of the face. Voila. 
How'd you get *that* brighter look on yours though?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Open up your desired image

Adjustments > Black and White

Adjustments > Brightness / Contrast  (Adjust such that your image goes from solid black to bright white)

Add a new layer

Draw gradient on that layer

On that new layer, edit properties and change the blending mode to Multiply

Click to play:
j.pngs.pngd.pnga.pngp.png
Download: BoltBait's Plugin Pack | CodeLab | and how about a Computer Dominos Game

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

Open up your desired image

Adjustments > Black and White

Adjustments > Brightness / Contrast  (Adjust such that your image goes from solid black to bright white)

Add a new layer

Draw gradient on that layer

On that new layer, edit properties and change the blending mode to Multiply

Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...