Make gray background white

The background in my photos are showing very gray when I get them on my computer - not quite so bad when previewed on my DSLR camera. Have tried all sorts of camera settings. Photo taken outside on a cloudy day in a white photo cube. But have also tried indoors with lights but not much better. Has anyone got any ideas on how I can lighten the gray background, preferably without each photo taking ages? I do not need to remove the background completely thought that might be the only option. All tips very gratefully received.

Elf.JPG

You can play with lightness & contrast in generally or you select the "white" around your objects and correct only this selection. Or you cut out your objects and place them over a new white layer or a light color gradient.

But the best solution is to learn making better images with your camera.

Here a little sample, just playing a bit in two minutes...

twelve.png

Edited by IRON67

Thanks for that. Yes I might need to learn more about the camera. I am mostly shooting in auto mode or one of the pre-selected ones. It is a decent camera so it is much more capable than I am. Thanks for the image though - heaps better than my original.