Help making a text cutout from an image

Hi,

I'm trying to create a text cutout from an image then pasting it back into the image with a blank rectangle cut out, as seen in the youtube tutorial below, which used photoshop.

I've managed to create the text cutout stencil from the image, but I don't know how to put it back into the original image with the blank rectangle cut out from it? I'm completely new to this, so please go easy!

Thanks!

I used three layers:

1. Create a layer and type your text using black color. Copy the content of this layer to the clipboard (Ctrl +C)

2. Add another layer and draw on this layer your white rectangle. Select the rectangle with the selection tool.

3. Use BoltBait's Paste Alpha effect with the settings as in the image. 

4. Save your work and flatten the layers.

nature-cut-out-50c708d.png

If you installed BoltBait's pack you can add other effects such as outline, bevels and shadows. :)

nature-cut-out-bevel-outline-50c712f.png

Edited by Eli
  • Upvote 1

The clear-text-on-white effect in the video (which to my eye is kind of primitive) is really easy to do.

Add a new layer (which will be transparent). Make sure it's above the photo image.

Make a white rectangle. You can make a rectangular selection, and use Fill Selection to fill it with white.

Use the Text tool to write text into the white rectangle.

Set the Layer's Blend Mode to Add.

A more general method, which allows backgrounds other than white, is:

Add a new layer (which will be transparent). Make sure it's above the photo image.

Make a white rectangle. You can make a rectangular selection, and use Fill Selection to fill it with white.

Go to the Color menu and click More (if it isn't already showing the extra info).

Set the Primary Color's Opacity-Alpha to 0 (it's a slider at the bottom of the menu).

In the Tool settings just above the image window, change the Blending Mode (by the beaker icon)  from Normal to Overwrite.

Now whatever text you type in the white rectangle will be transparent.

As Eli demonstrates, there are may fancier ways to show the text above an image (though I realize, sometimes simpler is better).

• Upvote 1