The Plugin Browser v1.3.1.0 (April 28, 2020)

1 hour ago, alexo said:

I don't know if I have the time and knowledge to work on it.

It takes a significant amount of time to maintain a resource of this quality.

1 hour ago, alexo said:

If the index does not contain the upload timestamp and/or file hash then obviously it is going to be difficult to do something like this.

It does not. The Index only has the original release date (or the last update for major plugins like CodeLab).

Releasing plugins into the wild is an ad-hoc system at best. Authors do it as they see fit. Almost none notify me of ongoing updates or versions, so maintaining the data would be a nightmare.

Thank you for the explanation, EER.

I'm just going to brainstorm a little...

I assume (and please correct me if I am wrong) that the plugin uses the data from the plugin index, which tracks the posts in the forum, either automatically or manually.

The most effective way of doing it IMHO would be to scrape the data directly from the DB.  Even if some manual massaging would be needed, it would still be a good starting point.

I do not have access to the Invision DB schema so I cannot say whether it tracks the modification time of edited posts, but I know that most (all?) other BBS systems do, and if that information is available, then it could indicate that a new version may have become available.

Just a thought.

14 minutes ago, alexo said:

I assume (and please correct me if I am wrong) that the plugin uses the data from the plugin index

Correct.

14 minutes ago, alexo said:

either automatically or manually.

The index is manually updated with new plugins. None of it is automatic.

12 minutes ago, alexo said:

I do not have access to the Invision DB schema so I cannot say whether it tracks the modification time of edited posts, but I know that most (all?) other BBS systems do, and if that information is available, then it could indicate that a new version may have become available.

That's not an accurate/reliable way to track plugin updates. There are plenty of reasons to edit a post besides uploading a new plugin version. For example, fixing broken links and images, fixing typos, ect.

2 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

That's not an accurate/reliable way to track plugin updates. There are plenty of reasons to edit a post besides uploading a new plugin version. For example, fixing broken links and images, fixing typos, ect.

That is correct of course, and it's the reason I said "may have" above.  It could serve as a flag to look at the post, since the process is manual.  A diff from the previous version would make it easier to distinguish between an actual update and fix.  Still not a good solution but it could work.

A better approach would be to look for a distinctive pattern within the message body (Such as "~~version=1.2.3.4~~" for example) and let plugin authors know that if they include it and keep it updated, an automated system could track the versioning.  The ones that want to take advantage of the feature will do it.

Why not just download any zip files and scrape the included DLL files for the version information?

Well... I, for one, have several versions of my plugin pack available (one for 3.5.11, etc.) and the DLL versions would be all over the place.

Click to play:
j.pngs.pngd.pnga.pngp.png
Download: BoltBait's Plugin Pack | CodeLab | and how about a Computer Dominos Game