The Plugin Browser v1.3.1.0 (April 28, 2020)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm thinking it would be helpful if error messages showed the version number.

The code quality has been significantly improved the most recent version. Such errors messages are a things of the past.

The switch to the .json based Plugin Index allowed for the removal of the error-prone parsing code. Plus, most of the for loops in the project were converted to foreach loops.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the store version of paint.net, used the installer of the version 1.3.0.2 and it installed without problems (They were 2 errors wich claimed that they don't matter if I use the store version). When I opened the store version I couldn't find the Plugin Browser nor do I know where to look. Can you help?

Edit: I solved it by myself. The installer copied the file to the right folder but in the admin user files. I have my account and the admin account seperate. I copied it in the right folder and now I can see and use the Plugin Browser.

Edited by kuraikami
  • 4 weeks later...

You can use the Paint.NET Settings and apply the Plugin Errors option to list the plugins that have issues and remove them by deleting their .dll files. (If you have a bunch of plugins, as I do, it will take a while to seek them out and display.)

IMPORTANT NOTE:
I just had Paint.NET to crash after trying to apply the CustomFrame.dll (Add Custom Frame). So the Plugin Errors locator does not find all problem plugins!

PDN_Settings_Plugin_Errors.jpg

Edited by HyReZ

• 2 months later...

Hi, I've encountered an issue. I put the plugin inside the plugins folder and opened up paint.net, a message popped up asking if I want to download the plugin index pdf, and I clicked yes, but nothing was downloaded. Whenever I use the plugin it only shows the list of the default plugins. Did I do something wrong? I tried deleting and re-installing the plugin but the message doesn't pop up again.

1 hour ago, visionary said:

a message popped up asking if I want to download the plugin index pdf, and I clicked yes, but nothing was downloaded.

PDF?  No, it downloaded a .json file. The file is used for searching within the plugin.

1 hour ago, visionary said:

Whenever I use the plugin it only shows the list of the default plugins.

It shows the plugins you have installed.

On 4/23/2020 at 9:21 PM, toe_head2001 said:

PDF?  No, it downloaded a .json file. The file is used for searching within the plugin.

Yeah sorry I just assumed it was a pdf because there's a link for the pdf in the Plugin Index page

On 4/23/2020 at 9:21 PM, toe_head2001 said:

It shows the plugins you have installed.

Obviously I have more than just the default plugins, or else I wouldn't be saying that. My issue here is that the plugin index file wasn't downloaded

If you open the Plugin Browser and type in the keyword Grow do you get any hits?

• 2 weeks later...

Since the Plugin Browser has knowledge of both the plugins installed on the users system and the available plugins, it would be nice to show which plugins are out out of date.

The Notepad++ Plugin Admin and the Cygwin installer have this functionality.

3 minutes ago, alexo said:

I don't know what the index contains, or where it comes form.

If you're willing to put in the work, I can give you a copy of the Index. If/when you've done the work, we make your changes official (as long as @Ego Eram Reputo is fine with that).

Updating the version number once a month is easy, but initially adding all of them is the difficult part.

I don't know if I have the time and knowledge to work on it.

If the index does not contain the upload timestamp and/or file hash then obviously it is going to be difficult to do something like this.