How to Install Plugins ×

The Plugin Browser v2.0.0.1 (Oct 15, 2023)

toe_head2001

WOW - As a new user I will find this new tool indispensable. Just one comment - its an executable install that places the dll file automatically into the effects folder. Nice to see I am already up to date on the latest add-ins. It even automatically downloaded the latest list when first opened. With only 98 Plug-ins - you can imagine how quick and responsive it is for me. Can you imagine anyone having just 1 of TechnoRobbos add-ins. Must be a newbie :)

ab283f3b-801d-4b89-a5f8-7e9485a484b8_zps

Edited by AndrewDavid
removed attachment - added link
  • Upvote 1

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

Yay! Can't have the Plugin Browser choking on the Index :lol:

• toe_head2001 changed the title to The Plugin Browser v1.2.0.2 (April 30, 2017)
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm getting an error: 407 when trying to update the index.

As you can see I'm using the v1.2.0.2, but I suspect it could be because of the network settings at work (I think they use some proxy or VPN, I can't really find out). Does anyone have an idea which port/protocol is needed to connect to the index-updating-server ?

Is there another way to update the index? I guess if the connection is blocked, I wouldn't be able to use the plugin browser to download the plugins themselves, but I don't know anything about this.

(and yes, I'm using paint.net at work because they outsource all their graphics request to a third party agency, so they have no better software than MS paint).

bug.PNG

On 5/18/2017 at 7:58 AM, Paps said:

I'm getting an error: 407 when trying to update the index.

Yes, your network traffic is going through a proxy that requires authentication (such as a Username and/or Password).

Does anyone have an idea which port/protocol is needed to connect to the index-updating-server ?

The protocol is HTTPS over port 443 (it's literally connecting to this forum website)

However, if something is asking you for a port number, it's probably asking for the port that your proxy server is listening on. I wouldn't know what that would be.

Is there another way to update the index?

Short answer: No

Long answer: Probably, but it may get you into trouble at work.

The index is only used to suggest plugins you don't have installed; everything else in the Plugin Browser will still work without it.

In a future release of the Plugin Browser, I might add a setting to disable the Index update. That way you won't have to see that Error message every single time.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

5 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

In a future release of the Plugin Browser, I might add a setting to disable the Index update. That way you won't have to see that Error message every single time

Good thinking. I like that idea.

A few days ago, the forum software made a change to the structure of URLs; probably for SEO purposes.

This change resulted in The Plugin Browser being unable to properly download the index.

Version 1.2.0.3 fixes the issue.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png

^^ I think I misnamed the July Plugin Index. That may have been some of the problem.

@dvlbny & @AndrewDavid The plugin browser IS easy to find in the plugin Index....

Forum post..

Plugin Browser TechnoRobbo Superseded by a new version.

Plugin Browser (updated) toe_head2001 Official re-release of the Dwarf Horde's Plugin Browser following a significant rewrite by toe_head2001. Locate, search and run effects from within the Plugin Browser. List installed plugins by Menu, Author, Alphabetically or by Keyword(s). Bookmark and add comments to your favourite plugins. Find information on plugins and see an effect preview image (where available).

The PDF

Plugin Browser    Author: TechnoRobbo        Topic: 29308
Superseded by a new version. Type: Effect | Released: 18 Jul 2014 | Status: Obsolete | Compatibility: 3.5.x, 4.0x DLL Name: PlugInData.dll | Menu: Effects >

Plugin Browser (updated)    Author: toe_head2001        Topic: 110458
Official re-release of the Dwarf Horde's Plugin Browser following a significant rewrite by toe_head2001. Locate, search and run effects from within the Plugin Browser. List installed plugins by Menu, Author, Alphabetically or by Keyword(s). Bookmark and add comments to your favourite plugins. Find information on plugins and see an effect preview image (where available).  Type: Effect | Released: 10 Oct 2016 | Status: Active | Compatibility: 3.5.x, 4.0x DLL Name: PlugInData.dll | Menu: Effects >

12 minutes ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

I think I misnamed the July Plugin Index. That may have been some of the problem.

Nah, it was just the url change. This is all I had to do in order to fix it:

urlChange.png

bp-sig.png

I'm about to make a raft of changes to the Plugin Index based on the URL change. I'm also going to simplify the member links.

I hope this won't break the Browser.

• 2 weeks later...

I imagine this would be extremely difficult. Toe_head would be the person to answer this properly.

5 hours ago, Jimez said:

How hard would it be to add a plug-in update button on this to update your plug-ins?

That would require an update manifest... as in a file that keeps track of the latest versions of plugins. I'm not interested in maintaining such a manifest. However, if EER wanted to add version information to his index, I'm sure we could work something out.

Ideally, we'd have a proper plugin repository with all sorts of meta information that could be queried, comparable to something like Mozilla Addons or WordPress Plugins.

Before anyone asks, those two examples are using homegrown custom code that those organization maintain themselves. I willing be beat Rick would never go for that kind of thing; we'd need a software solution that is actively maintained by a third-party.

bp-sig.png

5 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

if EER wanted to add version information to his index,

It makes me tremble with fear even contemplating such a task :(

• 3 weeks later...

This error after updating the latest index has returned. Running Ver 1.2.0.3

Becoming a known issue B)

Note 2 

It appears to only affect those plugins I have bookmarked. Removing the bookmark removes the error. Attempting to add the bookmark works but generates the error again. Hope that narrows it down.

Edited by AndrewDavid
Removed Uplosd

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

yup - seems to occur when trying to bookmark an effect. Also when removing the bookmark.

36 minutes ago, AndrewDavid said:

This error after updating the latest index has returned. Running Ver 1.2.0.3

image.png.336a524c0a7a65f74316c62942055f30.png

Becoming a known issue B)

Note 2 

It appears to only affect those plugins I have bookmarked. Removing the bookmark removes the error. Attempting to add the bookmark works but generates the error again. Hope that narrows it down.

Another observation on the Plugin Browser. First, excellent tool in the arsenal - absolutely.

Okay, if you run an Effect from within the Plugin Browser, that Effect is NOT listed in the History dialog, rather the Plugin Browser "Effect" is listed. For instance, if I use the Plugin Browser and choose Shape3D, then I get a spherical object on the canvas. In the History dialog there is a record of the Plugin Browser being used, but not which Effect. I'm sure it's not as simple as that, but it might be confusing if multiple Effects are used via the Plugin Browser?

Best

Hugh

• Upvote 1

Plugin Browser is a shell which can run another plugin. When this happens, paint.net sees only the Plugin Browser running - so this is the History entry used.

It might be possible to append a child plugin to the PB name for the purposes of History, but I'm not sure Rick would approve of plugins changing their name on-the-fly.

16 hours ago, Panchdara said:

Plugin Browser. First, excellent tool in the arsenal - absolutely.

I'm glad you see the value in the tool.

16 hours ago, Panchdara said:

if you run an Effect from within the Plugin Browser, that Effect is NOT listed in the History dialog, rather the Plugin Browser "Effect" is listed.

Surely, that is a very small price to pay for the convenience that is the Plugin Browser?

12 hours ago, BoltBait said:

I'm glad you see the value in the tool.

Surely, that is a very small price to pay for the convenience that is the Plugin Browser?

I was just observing.... very, very small price to pay indeed :)

EER I totally understand the issue(s) involved with "who is the messenger"/"message" bit.

Was only an observation is all. (I was not shouting with the "NOT", sorry for any misunderstanding, just highlighting the "not" part - italics would have been preferable)

The quality of the Browser is beyond words. With so many fun and useful plugins available and trying to locate and organize them is a hairy proposition - Browser is an invaluable "Effect".

Edited by Panchdara

On 9/3/2017 at 0:42 AM, AndrewDavid said:

Attempting to add the bookmark works but generates the error again.

Oops... yeah I broke that in v1.2.0.3.

Version 1.2.0.4 has been posted.

On 9/3/2017 at 1:30 AM, Panchdara said:

Okay, if you run an Effect from within the Plugin Browser, that Effect is NOT listed in the History dialog, rather the Plugin Browser "Effect" is listed.

The Effect name property can only be set during initialization, and is otherwise readonly. We couldn't change it even if we wanted to.

• Like 1

bp-sig.png