Please, please make an universal app version of Paint.net

I love Paint.net: it has been my go to image editing app for years.

As I've moved to Windows 10 and bought a Surface and Lumia, I've started wishing there was a UWP version for the following reasons:

• Better support for high density/retina displays: right now running Paint.net at greater than 100% DPI scaling results in blurred icons and some UI glitches
  • Support for touch: right now Paint.net requires a mouse to be useable
  • Support for phones: there's no good image editor on Windows 10 mobile right now - Paint.net would fill a big gap
  • Improved security thanks to sandboxing: Paint.net operates on files explicitly opened by the user, which fits perfectly within UWP's default sandboxing restrictions.
  • Installation and upgrades managed by the Windows Store automatically along with the rest of the installed apps

Are there any plans to create an UWP version? If not, would it be possible to ask for one?

• 2 weeks later...

Rick says that a Windows Store version is a "possibility", not a "for sure" thing.

According to the rules of the Windows App Store: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/dn764944.aspx

There are some things in paint.net that would have to change:

At a minimum, he would have to remove the Donate button and the Automatic Update functionality.

Reading through the requirements, I can't quite tell if it would allow plugins that don't also come from the Windows App Store.  And, he might have to have the Backspace key close the app...?  Not sure if it is allowed to launch a browser to external content (the help file).  Some of the requirements are weird.

• 3 months later...
On ‎26‎.‎09‎.‎2016 at 2:39 AM, BoltBait said:

Reading through the requirements, I can't quite tell if it would allow plugins that don't also come from the Windows App Store.  And, he might have to have the Backspace key close the app...?  Not sure if it is allowed to launch a browser to external content (the help file).  Some of the requirements are weird.

>I can't quite tell if it would allow plugins that don't also come from the Windows App Store.  
I guess it wouldn't but I don't think it's problem. It's an opportunity for plugins to be easily discovered and restored. Opportunity for developers to make money on them (why not?)

>And, he might have to have the Backspace key close the app...?
WAT? Sure he doesn't.

>Not sure if it is allowed to launch a browser to external content (the help file).
Sure he can.

The plan is to allow for normal installation plugins, they'd just have to go in a different location. No plans for plugins via the Store. I'm not even sure they're set up for that yet (Microsoft, that is).

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg